JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many head lamps out there that are really bright, adjustable and can fit in your pocket really quickly. that is what I use if I night detect. You need to have the hands free..

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Fenix USB rechargeable headlamp. Gotta have them hands free. I also have a little LED light that clips onto the brim of my cap. Pretty useful as well and costs only a few dollars.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a petzel head lamp

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It is not a good idea to use headlamps or lights. Until you stop to look at a find (date on coin, etc...). Because if you use headlamps of any sort, then pretty soon, your eyes will become adjusted to *JUST* that beam . And you will become blind to everything else around you .

Hence better just to pick a full-ish moon night, and let your eyes adjust to the stars and moon. That's enough light to see where to swing and walk.

Also: Not sure where you intend to hunt at night, but : a lamp makes you a sitting duck for passer-by scrutiny.

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a clamp-on type lamp with rough service bulb, short extension cord, small generator and pull along trailer/wagon for night detecting. You can also use extra lamps to clip onto the trailer so you can flood the area with light. It all depends on how big a generator you have. Just clip the lamp to your head and use a strap or rope tied around your waist and chug along. Depending on how long you are out detecting you may want to take along a can of extra fuel. globe-electric-clamp-on-hand-helds-stand-up-6618701-64_1000.jpg s-l400.jpg 644376111269lg.jpg
😂 lmao...I'm off work today wishing my V3i I ordered last week was here! Won't be here untill Monday dang it.😭

Sent from my LG-M430 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a good idea to use headlamps or lights. Until you stop to look at a find (date on coin, etc...). Because if you use headlamps of any sort, then pretty soon, your eyes will become adjusted to *JUST* that beam . And you will become blind to everything else around you .

Hence better just to pick a full-ish moon night, and let your eyes adjust to the stars and moon. That's enough light to see where to swing and walk.

Also: Not sure where you intend to hunt at night, but : a lamp makes you a sitting duck for passer-by scrutiny.
yeah mine only goes on when I'm in the hole looking for the target. and it has red mode for not attracting too much attention.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just needed for actually finding the target is all.

I use a clamp-on type lamp with rough service bulb, short extension cord, small generator and pull along trailer/wagon for night detecting. You can also use extra lamps to clip onto the trailer so you can flood the area with light. It all depends on how big a generator you have. Just clip the lamp to your head and use a strap or rope tied around your waist and chug along. Depending on how long you are out detecting you may want to take along a can of extra fuel. View attachment 1514383 View attachment 1514384 View attachment 1514385
�� lmao...I'm off work today wishing my V3i I ordered last week was here! Won't be here untill Monday dang it.��

That's a nice machine for sure. Good luck with her. As far as lights go i was looking for something with a little more candlepower!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my favorite pocket flashlights also fits on my 9mm. It has an all aluminum body and only requires one battery.
I also have the Streamlight one that does the same thing but requires two batteries and is way more expensive.

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For real though, there are a ton of headlamps available just about anywhere. Check out Home Depot or Amazon. I usually get one with a red beam which works pretty well once your eyes get adjusted to it and you can still see your surroundings when you shut it off. (At least better than with a white light.) I only use the white beam when I'm in the hole. Those little clip-on hat brim lights are pretty handy also. I know Bass Pro has them and I'm sure amazon has them also. Hope this helps..

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Makro Racer 2 and Nokta Impact both have a back lit screen and a small LED headlight that shines on the coil. No other lights needed.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a cap with lights built into the brim (Lowes sells them) that I could use in those situations, but I very seldom detect at night.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m not a fan of using lights, but when in the hole sometimes they are necessary. I’ve found that my lights tend to get dirty so the cheapy free Harbor Freight lights do the job well. Despite its description they aren’t too bright, and if one gets lost or damaged from water or dirt it’s no big deal.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510643956.284538.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I’m not a fan of using lights, but when in the hole sometimes they are necessary. I’ve found that my lights tend to get dirty so the cheapy free Harbor Freight lights do the job well. Despite its description they aren’t too bright, and if one gets lost or damaged from water or dirt it’s no big deal.
View attachment 1516114

Ha, that's EXACTLY the light I carry on a lanyard around my neck. We got a dozen of them free ones lying around here, since you can pick up one , each time, @ Harbor freight for free.

Then it only goes on if needed to see a date on a coin or whatever. Rest of the time: Let your eyes adjust to the natural light of moon and stars.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha, that's EXACTLY the light I carry on a lanyard around my neck. We got a dozen of them free ones lying around here, since you can pick up one , each time, @ Harbor freight for free.

Then it only goes on if needed to see a date on a coin or whatever. Rest of the time: Let your eyes adjust to the natural light of moon and stars.

I'm blind as a bat at night. I waste too much time searching for my targets. Need some kind of light ONLY when searching the plug or hole for the signal....I have an older headlamp I forgot I even had. Will have to give that a go.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TPmetal has it right. I love the headlamp with red light setting; it doesn't hurt your night vision as badly and attracts less attention. Its what I use on the beach and in the field. If you need to really get in there it has the regular light too.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TPmetal has it right. I love the headlamp with red light setting; it doesn't hurt your night vision as badly and attracts less attention. Its what I use on the beach and in the field. If you need to really get in there it has the regular light too.

That does sound like the ticket. The one I got actually has the red too.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1700 lumin flashlight that also has a red and blue option, I use the red and can see fine with it then when I find something,I click on the white light. It lights up the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread