Upvote 0

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sweet. If the IQ technology can consistently ID or reject aluminum, I'll take two.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the video! How does this machine compare to the ctx?

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great question. I have the ctx and excal. I also ordered the equinox for the weight and as another backup machine. Will it be my go to machine? Who knows only time will tell lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox looks and sounds amazing. I️ think minelab did an awesome job on it just from what I’ve seen. I’m about to pull the trigger on the ctx because I’ve been told it’s in a league of its own. The equinox, although going to be an amazing machine, is no ctx just from technology alone. What do you think?

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a Fisher guy, but this detector has piqued my interest unlike the Nokta Impact or the AT Max.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a Fisher guy, but this detector has piqued my interest unlike the Nokta Impact or the AT Max.

Same here. That price is tempting for an all terrain unit and all the other features.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see a depth test in normal conditions NOT an air test.

The XP Deus is a MONSTER on depth when it comes to coil to depth ratio. Meaning 9” coil goes way deeper then 9”.
Looks like Minelab marketing guys working with research tried to make it look very similar to XP Deus. The control panel is more rectangular than any of their previous models which are more equilateral. And they also address the weight issue which XP Deus is King in currently

This is not sour grapes from an XP Deus owner since I have used Minelab in the past just an observation.

I do love the waterproof aspect of it. Since I detect shallow waters and rivers 8 think it will b a superior machine over the current AT Pro I use.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see a depth test in normal conditions NOT an air test.

The XP Deus is a MONSTER on depth when it comes to coil to depth ratio. Meaning 9” coil goes way deeper then 9”.
Looks like Minelab marketing guys working with research tried to make it look very similar to XP Deus. The control panel is more rectangular than any of their previous models which are more equilateral. And they also address the weight issue which XP Deus is King in currently

This is not sour grapes from an XP Deus owner since I have used Minelab in the past just an observation.

I do love the waterproof aspect of it. Since I detect shallow waters and rivers 8 think it will b a superior machine over the current AT Pro I use.

there was a video released by a russian tester a few weeks ago that showed some really impressive depths. Of course, we will have to see it with our own soils and own EQs to verify.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see one submerged and at the beach. On one graphic it shows a ring symbol in the high conductor range. I thought that a gold ring was a low conductor?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see one submerged and at the beach. On one graphic it shows a ring symbol in the high conductor range. I thought that a gold ring was a low conductor?

not a silver ring. the picture doesnt say "gold"

PLus, some large gold rings, like a mens class ring will ring up as high as zinc cents

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that Brandon Neice the guy doing the video says its like the CTX and The Deus had a baby and named
It equinox

Do you think this really will outperform the ctx? I’m pretty much in the worst position right now In buying a new machine. I️ have the money for the ctx. I️ want the ctx. But now the equinox is here, I’m not really getting the best answer to my question (not anyone’s fault - we don’t have the physical proof yet) of whether the equinox is BETTER In performance than the ctx.

Completely understand that we don’t have the unit to test yet, but we do know the specs and the data needed to make a good determination. Would love to know. Planning to purchase the ctx on Monday and it comes with a 17” coil plus completely fixed from the leak issues it had in the past.

The equinox is insanely tempting, unfortunately I️ do not know enough about these machines to make a true determination on my own.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think this really will outperform the ctx? I’m pretty much in the worst position right now In buying a new machine. I️ have the money for the ctx. I️ want the ctx. But now the equinox is here, I’m not really getting the best answer to my question (not anyone’s fault - we don’t have the physical proof yet) of whether the equinox is BETTER In performance than the ctx.

Completely understand that we don’t have the unit to test yet, but we do know the specs and the data needed to make a good determination. Would love to know. Planning to purchase the ctx on Monday and it comes with a 17” coil plus completely fixed from the leak issues it had in the past.

The equinox is insanely tempting, unfortunately I️ do not know enough about these machines to make a true determination on my own.

Winter is nearly upon us, why buy a new detector now [that you'd have to wait months for anyhow] and burn away warranty for 5 months as it sits waiting for spring ?
I understand $$ burning a hole in the pocket, but it seems to me it would be well worth the wait to wait for reviews.

Unless they are planning to retire the 3030, safe to say it is not going to come close to its performance. So far alls we really have are salesman pitches and glowing Minelab aficionado predictions - It is doubtless an interesting detector with lots of potential, many [including myself] are speculating that it will be intentionally hobbled in some major ways [depth, target ID] so as not to compete with their flagship models Etrac and 3030. [For instance, it has only 40 units of resolution on the VDI, compared to 100 that is standard on even low end detectors like the Ace 400]

Don't want to post direct links to other forums, google up "dankowski equinox" and see what you can find for other opinions.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I understand your frustration. Here is my recommendation: Call one of the sponsor-dealers here. talk to them ON THE PHONE and ask for the best price on the CTX. You will get a great detector for less than MSRP, PLUS you get a free 17" coil. Then use it while you wait for reviews on the EQ. If you think youd rather have the EQ later, sell the coil and CTX separately on ebay. most fleebay buyers dont know you can get a CTX below advertised price, so you can sell it as newly-used for what you paid for it new. Then you sell the coil and its all gravy. Plenty-O-money to buy your EQ in the spring.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the great feedback. Did not even think about the warranty thing and winter almost arriving. The eBay thing sounds like another great idea. Looks like I have options! Thank you both again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread