Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear nugget hunters,

I just returned from my CA trip learning that my Whites GMT is no good on very hot ground. I am thinking about getting me a PI machine. Just watching many videos I cannot make up my mind between a Garret ATX with standard + 8" coil or a Minelab SDC 2300. I do want a very compact machine which is waterproof. I couldn't work the bedrock on the other side of the river as the water was pretty fast and if I drowned my GMT I would have lost a good bunch of money. All your help on making the right decision is highly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used both, I would choose the Garrett ATX if you're looking for bigger, deeper gold. If you are looking for smaller, more shallow gold, I would choose the Minelab. :skullflag:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned a GMT and found it works fine on hot ground in CA. I also still own a Fischer Gold Bug 2. The manual ground balance of the GB2 makes easy work of the hot rocks here. I, personally, would recommend the GB2 for gold detecting. It will find tiny gold better than any other detector. The PIs will find small gold but the PI's forté is DEPTH in highly mineralized ground. I'll take lots of small pieces that adds up to more than the very rare large nuggy any day! ╦╦Ç

(at less than 3 pounds, the GB2 is the lightest gold specific machine on the market, I believe.)

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear friends,

many thanks for your kind feedback. I settled for the SDC 2300 and hope I did not make a mistake. Now I can't wait to try it out. I'll take it to the eastern part of Germany where we found a lot of VERY small specks but I know that there are a few nuggets around. The biggest one found in the last 20 years or so weighted + 9 grams. We'll see. If I find lead or iron it'll be worth washing some pans in this particular area.

AU to you

Horst

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You picked a good machine, but all the machines that were mentioned would have worked, I spent about 7 years in Germany and can say the ground is not as hot as the ground here in Arizona, I liked the GB2, but I am lazy and hate ground balancing every 5 min or so, the GMT is easy, the ATX is heavy.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
8 gramer in Germany, man that is great and nothing to shake your head at.

Congrats on your new MD, and best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread