Waterproof detector options

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been swinging my X-terra 705 for a few years, and while really like it, there are a handful of places I'd like to detect which really require more than just a waterproof coil. So I'm considering options and looking for input on a fully waterproof detector.

I'd honestly prefer to try and modify my 705 to make it waterproof, but I'm hesitant to start playing chop shop with my primary/most expensive unit. In an ideal world, I'd like to just jump to a CTX and be done, but I'm not sure that's in my budget - I'm hoping to stay around $500. Because of the areas I'm looking at, discrimination is pretty important, so I'm leaning away from a PI. I've debated an equinox, but it being a new unit makes my favorite purchasing option (finding a great deal on a broke one I can fix, though I'm still keeping an eye for a CTX this way). The majority of my detecting will be freshwater, but I would like to be able to use it at saltwater beaches when I'm on vacation.

AT Pro? Sandshark?

Upvote 0

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's MX Sport?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro sand shark. Can’t go wrong. Inexpensive and lifetime warranty. Amazing reviews and I️ own it and can say it’s great.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Shark is a PI machine, so based on your needs I wouldn't go with the Sand Shark. I just bought a Tiger Shark about a week ago. It's a VLF machine so really geared toward fresh water. I haven't had the chance to put mine in the water yet, but I have used it 2-3 times on land. I have been very pleased with it so far.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true. I️ jumped the gun and realized you said fresh water. Sounds like you’d be set with the tiger shark, OR you can search for a used minelab Excalibur and it’ll do the trick with discrimination and falling within your budget. Forget what the model number is but it’s the older blue Excalibur that I’m speaking of. Tesoro will give you that guaranteed lifetime warranty though.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, didn't realize the sandshark was PI....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get an AT PRO ---if you are just going to dabble in the water - I always recommend - you try others if you know guys in your area that will let you
or buy good used - don't go new if you are just going to take it out a few times a year

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should go to the beach forum instead of asking here only

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with Casper, the AT Pro, I believe it will be going lower in price now with the AT Max being out, and the pending Minelab 600 & 800.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE My Tiger Shark! I used it for 3 years in the water and out hunted everybody that hunted with me. Set your discrimination and dig every repeatable signal. No WASTING TIME looking at a screen that will lie to you. Last summer, I bought an Excal because of a site with lots of iron. In fresh water, I can't see that the Excal is any better than the Tiger Shark. Any problems with the Excal cost hundreds of dollars to repair. Tiger Shark has LIFETIME WARRANTY !!!!!!! $650 Tiger Shark.... $1500 Excal + $100 for Straight Shaft

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I LOVE My Tiger Shark! I used it for 3 years in the water and out hunted everybody that hunted with me.

Errrr...... That would be me!

And he also kicks my butt on land with his Tejon compared to my CTX.....

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So then would a tiger shark be any good near saltwater? I know people have said my 705 is something that in theory CAN run around salt, but in practice isn't so great. Oh course I'm stubborn, and am not going to believe anything until I take it to Florida with me in a week and see for myself. :rolleyes:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro or possibly the new Equinox.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So then would a tiger shark be any good near saltwater? I know people have said my 705 is something that in theory CAN run around salt, but in practice isn't so great. Oh course I'm stubborn, and am not going to believe anything until I take it to Florida with me in a week and see for myself. :rolleyes:

Tiger Shark is for fresh water, Sand Shark is salt water.

705 is a single freq detector, it is good detector (I own one) but not designed for salt beaches, it can not punch through the salt minerals, to get it to work at all you have to turn sensitivity down, means extreme loss of depth and our sand is very fine, clad coins, gold and silver is denser and sinks quickly once dropped.

I know where a customized Minelab Excalibur is for sale, comes with grey ghost amphibian headphones, reverse pinpoint mod, Anderson knobs, new o-rings and full 1 year warranty just like new excal.$1600.00, almost $500 in custom mod work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
705 is a single freq detector, it is good detector (I own one) but not designed for salt beaches, it can not punch through the salt minerals, to get it to work at all you have to turn sensitivity down, means extreme loss of depth and our sand is very fine, clad coins, gold and silver is denser and sinks quickly once dropped.

I know where a customized Minelab Excalibur is for sale, comes with grey ghost amphibian headphones, reverse pinpoint mod, Anderson knobs, new o-rings and full 1 year warranty just like new excal.$1600.00, almost $500 in custom mod work

Bummer, that's kinda what I thought, but it's also my only option for this trip, since I can't seem to find anyone who rents a more suitable detector.

Thanks for the offer, but that definately isn't in the budget.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For a waterproof detector suitable for Saltwater it would not be an AT Pro. Wait a little longer and investigate the Equinox 600 which is close to your price point. Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fully waterproof and discrimination (as in not a PI) narrows your search to just a few machines. You basically need one with more than one operating frequency. Of the name brands, I know of the following.....Fisher CZ21, White's Beachhunter 300, Minelab Excalibur, and the CTX. The upcoming Equinox will be added to the list when it's available. Regardless of what the manufacturer says, single frequency machines are not the optimum ticket when hunting in salt water environs. Will some of them work there? Sure, but, at reduced settings which kills depth. Good luck in your search with your $500 budget. Sometimes you can get lucky however. I found a working Excal in a pawn shop for $250, so, it can be done if you're patient resourceful, and/or not in a hurry.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, thanks Cuda (and everyone else). On a positive note, I found a guy out of Russia who started a business making waterproof housings for non-waterproof detectors. Looks pretty slick. Of course he only speaks Russian, so thank God for Google translate, haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions