Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: How do you conquer your frustration

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    au
    Jun 2017
    Gold Coast Queensland
    AT Pro
    106 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I spent 2 hours beach detecting yesterday , i found 50cents in shrapnel and at least 50 bottle caps, i told myself it was a good day to get exercise..............

Feb 2017
    Pa
    845 times
    Another idea to think about.

When you pull up to an old property and unpack your gear then hit the ground running you have how many layers of targets before you get down to the goodies? Even once you do then you have to navigate masking from the iron that always seems to be at these spots.

Old coins requires digging deep, sometimes iffy targets. Usually they're very subtle signals.

Try staking off a 10ftx10ft area and go through it with a fine tooth comb digging everything above iron. Grid all ways and even start in the middle and circle out. You may just start popping those oldies out. You might even have to dig out some iron too. Google tom dankowskis silent masking write up. Makes you realize how much we leave behind!
    RustyGold, diggingthe1 and SD51 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    3633 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Just curious,
    You've gotten some great advice from some very knowledgable hunters and that will add to your skills in the long run. TNet is an awesome resource in helping one to gain perspective on how it's done successfully.
    I have found more silver coins in backyards than in parks because I hit them more. The beach is different and I generally feel like the trash man at the end of the hunt.
    What Loco-Digger said was right on. Positive attitude goes a long way to a more productive hunt but still the targets have to be there. I might add that youtube videos can be very helpful as you may already know.
    Best of luck to you.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1092 times
    Over time, I have found that "Positive attitude" as RustyGold pointed out, IS, a very "Real" thing. Many times I've gone out trying "to hard" to find something, or was just not "feeling it". Other days, I was really "focused" somehow, and really enjoying what I was doing, I don't know, like a ZEN? state of mind perhaps?, and having it turn out to be a pretty good day of detecting. Slow down a bit and don't try "to hard", just enjoy it for what it is. Anymore my thoughts are that if the Treasure Gods are going to give me something really GOOD today, they will, if not then not. I will admit though that at times I have a little private conversation with them like, "Would it kill you guys to give me something really good, if for no other reason than just for the effort?" Hang in there my friend, we have ALL had that frustration at times.

Feb 2015
    Victor, CO
    Minelab Ex2
    1420 times
    I got discouraged looking at all the incredible posts when I joined around 2002. I quit looking at tnet after a few posts, and just went solo. I should stayed a member of tnet, I could have learned a lot and shared a lot. 13 years later I joined back. Probably that goes for any supportive forum. Great advice here, don't get discouraged! If your getting out a lot you will find something incredible soon enough. You never know what's around the corner!!!

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1092 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diggingthe1 View Post
    I got discouraged looking at all the incredible posts when I joined around 2002. I quit looking at tnet after a few posts, and just went solo. I should stayed a member of tnet, I could have learned a lot and shared a lot. 13 years later I joined back. Probably that goes for any supportive forum. Great advice here, don't get discouraged! If your getting out a lot you will find something incredible soon enough. You never know what's around the corner!!!
    And it's good to have you back. Now 13yrs. later, you are now one of the guys sharing and giving support. It's one of the good things about this Forum.
    diggingthe1, SD51, TerryC and 1 others like this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal
    1778 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_curious View Post
    I have placed items under the surface and practiced with it. That's how I've been able to find modern coins and what not instead of junk and pull tabs. And as far as being up north (I'm originally from michigan) I would much rather be there. At least up there you have public land. There's no such thing as public land in Georgia or alabama. Also, any place that has a legitimate treasure buried, the gov owns the land (drives me crazy). Have any of you found any caches? I've wondered, if somebody 100 years ago buried their change/money/silver/gold inside of an iron pot, what is the detector going to do. Will it scream from the stuff inside, or will it only recognize the iron?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app
    Regarding caches, I doubt anybody will say "hey, I found a big cache of silver or gold coins!!" That would be stupid. I would bet there are some on here who have found some smaller ones, and there are posts using the "cache" word, but I haven't seen any real ones posted here found in this country. If you bought a detector thinking you will find a major cache you likely will be disappointed you whole detecting career, it happens to VERY FEW. Most hunters other than beach hunters never find much really valuable items, not too many really ever cover the cost of their machines in five or more years of hunting here in the states. Yes, the southern guys occasionally find a rare and valuable relic like a confederate buckle, yes, some guys find a $20 gold piece or two, yes occasionally a gold nugget hunter finds a big one, a few guys find valuable colonial relics, but I'd bet 90% of all MDers never find enough valuables to cover their machine's cost. I was lucky enough to find a diamond ring valued at ten times what my old BFO cost but I now have a couple thousand in machines and have not covered that cost. It is the thrill of the hunt that makes most of us keep at it. Never knowing if the next target will be that diamond ring, valuable relic or coin, always thinking "the next beep is going to be a walking liberty half dollar" kind of attitude is important. An old fellow in VA at an NVRHA meeting in the early 70s told me what is now my motto "ya won't find nothin' if ya don't hunt". Regarding an iron pot full of coins, even a large piece of iron closer to the surface will sound like a good target to most detectors. My own detecting saying is "he who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff". Discrimination is nice but if you discriminate out pull tabs and never dig a pull tab or foil signal you will likely never find a gold coin or gold ring. Digging trash is a pain but "iffy" signals can be a deep silver coin on edge or a coin under or over a nail. You HAVE to dig junk to find good stuff unless like I said in my last post you get LUCKY. Even with my modern machines I dig probably more than ten pieces of junk for every coin. I like to KNOW what that signal is and the only way to do so is to dig it up, and there are thousands of metallic items in the ground that will ring up like a coin.
    Last edited by gunsil; Nov 13, 2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Oddjob, SD51, TerryC and 3 others like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Nov 2012
    Farmington, Maine
    AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    First, I think about my second wife. Now that I'm good and angry, I just go out and start detecting and digging. Soon I realize I'm feeling great, and it's almost time for a cool beer, or a hot, buttered rum!
    Ya but how about if your still on wife number one?
    SD51, Terry Soloman and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2017
    North Central Arkansas
    white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
    246 times
    Hey everyone. I'm getting the blues with metal detecting. The only thing of any age to it that I have found was a 1954 wheat penny and that was literally in the middle of the woods. I've been detecting a man's property who's house was built in 1830, and only pulled 90's pennies and dimes. I've researched old historic maps, and gone to those old homesteads, and found nothing. I love the hobby, it keeps me intrigued and the time flies by...but I haven't found ANYTHING! There is literally so much history where I live, and yet I can't find anything. I'd settle for a darn 1960 quarter for crying out loud. I just don't understand how you all are finding relics, 1800's coins, jewelry, etc. I feel I have a very good understanding of my detector (Whites XLT)...amd yet, here I am typing this. I have spent hundreds in gas, hours researching, days upon days away from my family chasing those coils finds, and just haven't found any thing that screams "this is what it's all about!" To me. I don't want to give up, and want to stay motivated....but that frustration is hitting me HARD! Any advice you could give to help me make some finds, and also raise my spirits would be great! Like seriously...how do you become good at metal detecting!?

Have a home brew that is very helpful.
    RustyGold likes this.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    Minelab GM1000 White's GMZ White's Spectrum XLT
    56 times
    I told my wife about this post that I made, and told her that all the comments were like "oh you're still on your first wife that's cute". She goes "it's so funny that you mention that because when the lady was loading my groceries the other day she seen all of your metal detectors in the back of my truck and was like 'my first husband used to do that, he never found sh*t, and I don't know what he's doing now' and you could just tell that she was so disgruntled that the site of metal detectors" LOL

Oddjob, RustyGold and digger460 like this.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    6265 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Just curious, depth isn't the answer. If the stuff isn't already in the ground depth won't help much. The best OLD places to go are places that had houses but those buildings are no longer standing. Research is your best friend right now. Hand up the machine for the rest of the week and find some history books, an old farm (and yes, driving is a rule in metal detecting), look at the history and aerials maps as far back as they go and get some permissions. Happiness is a farm field that had three houses in it NO ONE ever detected before. That's where it's at. I have maybe 10 POUNDS of clad from beaches from this year and last. Gulf coast beaches can be great. Winter is also a good time to visit one.
    SD51, TerryC, RustyGold and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    3523 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I told my wife about this post that I made, and told her that all the comments were like "oh you're still on your first wife that's cute". She goes "it's so funny that you mention that because when the lady was loading my groceries the other day she seen all of your metal detectors in the back of my truck and was like 'my first husband used to do that, he never found sh*t, and I don't know what he's doing now' and you could just tell that she was so disgruntled that the site of metal detectors" LOL

When I showed my wife (a while ago when I was married) the rings I had found, she got her own metal detector! ╦╦
    Loco-Digger, gunsil and RustyGold like this.
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    3523 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've been detecting since about '70. Back when BFOs were the thing. You'll have dry spells and WOW spells. After a while, you'll see progress and look back and find, yes, you are finding things. It's like reading a novel..... most pages are "blank" yet you'll get the whole picture when you finish. After a "general" training period, you will probably specialize. That is when it will all start to make sense. But that is a long ways off. Stick with the guys and gals here. They'll help you. Remember.... where ever people gather. That's a good starting place. ╦╦
    gunsil, RustyGold and sprailroad like this.
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Tesoro Cult Member & Overlord - Mojave; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq; Tejon; Sand Shark - Minelab GPZ 7000
    14189 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Farma View Post
    Ya but how about if your still on wife number one?
    Then try and imagine Nancy Pelosi, yelling at you to take out the garbage!

Feb 2017
    Pa
    845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    I've been detecting since about '70. Back when BFOs were the thing. You'll have dry spells and WOW spells. After a while, you'll see progress and look back and find, yes, you are finding things. It's like reading a novel..... most pages are "blank" yet you'll get the whole picture when you finish. After a "general" training period, you will probably specialize. That is when it will all start to make sense. But that is a long ways off. Stick with the guys and gals here. They'll help you. Remember.... where ever people gather. That's a good starting place. ╦╦
    Then, you get a new machine and start all over.....lol!
    TerryC likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links