Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: How do you conquer your frustration

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    Minelab Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
    258 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_curious View Post
    Since about July. Which really isn't long...but I go literally every day for multiple hours. Lunch break at work, detecting, after work, detecting, time between shift, detecting, days off, detecting lol. It's driving my wife nuts. I'm like, "there's nothing that says this can't be a family event! You just choose not to participate." Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app
    JC- Ihave been at this for a lot longer than you (bought a White's DFX in 2003) and I still haven't found a wheat penny, rosie, or silver quarter. Other than 1 '67 Kennedy half and 1 seated half dime it has been all clad, pull tabs, and lead sinkers.

Let me ask you this.....WHY did you get into detecting? I love being outside and the thrill of the hunt. Knowing that the next beep COULD be a class ring or gold coin is enough to keep me going. I know the finds will come. You need to figure out why you got into it and focus on that.

Hope is doesn't sound like I am preaching, because I am not. Just putting in my 2 cents worth. Not that it is worth even 2 cents.
    Last edited by ltd063; Nov 13, 2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: adding a disclaimer

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    Earth
    A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x
    200 times
    Location, location, location. If it's not there to begin with, you'll never find it. Seriously though, keep at it and eventually you'll start hitting.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    NM
    CTX 3030 11" Smart coil 6" Smart coil Raptor c-31 digger 31" Lesche Sampson Periscope Probe.
    982 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hey everyone. I'm getting the blues with metal detecting. The only thing of any age to it that I have found was a 1954 wheat penny and that was literally in the middle of the woods. I've been detecting a man's property who's house was built in 1830, and only pulled 90's pennies and dimes. I've researched old historic maps, and gone to those old homesteads, and found nothing. I love the hobby, it keeps me intrigued and the time flies by...but I haven't found ANYTHING! There is literally so much history where I live, and yet I can't find anything. I'd settle for a darn 1960 quarter for crying out loud. I just don't understand how you all are finding relics, 1800's coins, jewelry, etc. I feel I have a very good understanding of my detector (Whites XLT)...amd yet, here I am typing this. I have spent hundreds in gas, hours researching, days upon days away from my family chasing those coils finds, and just haven't found any thing that screams "this is what it's all about!" To me. I don't want to give up, and want to stay motivated....but that frustration is hitting me HARD! Any advice you could give to help me make some finds, and also raise my spirits would be great! Like seriously...how do you become good at metal detecting!?

When I started hunting back 1989, I located the oldest part of town and began knocking on doors. Went up one side and then down the other, moved to the next block and repeated the process. I had about a 90% sucess rate getting permission back then, I average about 50% now. I started finding old stuff right off the bat, I was using a Garrett Groundhog VLF/TR machine, no meter, 1 tone, dug everything. The worse thing that can happen is they may say no, so what, move on to the next one til you get a yes. Now, with that said, not every yard is going to produce, but, when they do, it'll more than make up for the no's and the duds. Hang in there, it takes a while to get to know your machine.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    Minelab GM1000 White's GMZ White's Spectrum XLT
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ltd063 View Post
    JC- Ihave been at this for a lot longer than you (bought a White's DFX in 2003) and I still haven't found a wheat penny, rosie, or silver quarter. Other than 1 '67 Kennedy half and 1 seated half dime it has been all clad, pull tabs, and lead sinkers.

Let me ask you this.....WHY did you get into detecting? I love being outside and the thrill of the hunt. Knowing that the next beep COULD be a class ring or gold coin is enough to keep me going. I know the finds will come. You need to figure out why you got into it and focus on that.

Hope is doesn't sound like I am preaching, because I am not. Just putting in my 2 cents worth. Not that it is worth even 2 cents.
    My prospecting originally got me involved. Bought a couple gold detectors, but needed to fill that void when I couldn't make the 2-3 hour trip to the gold belt.

TerryC likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Farmington, Maine
    AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
    20 times
    Whenever I do a little research and check a place out but find nothing I will stop by a park and do some easy digging of some clad. It feels good just to dig something after a day with no finds. Hit a few clad quarters and buy a cold one. Also keeps me sharp.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    275 times

How do you conquer your frustration

When I️ first started detecting, it was after my uncle took me to an old school from the 1800s that his friend lived in. I️ was hooked ever since. We found all of the schools silverware, rings, graduation pins that the kids would wear on their shirts, etc. all silver.

Long story short, I️ bought my own detector and learned my machine. There is a small field up the street from me, less than one minute walk. I️ went there and practiced on it, found out how my machine reacts. I️ then moved on to asking permission to hunt all parks, and I️ usually received it every time. I️ printed out those permissions in case someone ever stopped me.

The field led to Parks, the parks led to an old home or two after talking to friends and just finding out they own a place thatís old or live near a place thatís old (another email asking permission)... you get the idea.

I️ now have permission on an old school situated on top of a revolutionary war battlefield. Iíve visited the site about 10 total times, and just two weeks ago I️ started finding good things. I️ found I️ skipped over a lot of sounds that ended up being good. I️ learned that my machine was responding differently in those soils, and started digging. You can find my posts plastered all over this forum. All of these nice, kind people have helped identify everything for me after I️ drove them all crazy.

If I️ had any last advice for you, it would be to pay attention to deep signals. This is where learning your machine will pay off. I️ dig more 2017 clad than Iíd like to admit. Some people love that. I️ actually find it a waste of time. Could care less about digging pennyís and dimes unless they were old. I️ just started digging deeper signals recently and my clad is getting older, and just two weeks ago I️ found my first silver quarter. Listen for the deep signals.

My point is, you need to learn your machine and then begin asking for permission. Iíd start with older parks. Listen for the deep signals. The old field I️ told you I️ used to visit when I️ was really young, I️ STILL visit that field often for practice, and I end up finding cool small relics every so often.

Go Find those old parks!

Sorry that Apple messed up my phone and all of letter ďiísĒ have turned in to I️.
    Last edited by BrettCo124; Nov 14, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
    TerryC and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    3523 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan(NM) View Post
    When I started hunting back 1989, I located the oldest part of town and began knocking on doors. Went up one side and then down the other, moved to the next block and repeated the process. I had about a 90% sucess rate getting permission back then, I average about 50% now. I started finding old stuff right off the bat, I was using a Garrett Groundhog VLF/TR machine, no meter, 1 tone, dug everything. The worse thing that can happen is they may say no, so what, move on to the next one til you get a yes. Now, with that said, not every yard is going to produce, but, when they do, it'll more than make up for the no's and the duds. Hang in there, it takes a while to get to know your machine.
    You have an attitude I fully agree with! ╦╦«
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    3523 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Then, you get a new machine and start all over.....lol!
    Assuming the new detector is a step up, the great part of the experience on the old machine is that it is usually transferable. ╦╦«
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

us
    Nov 2012
    Farmington, Maine
    AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
    20 times
    If I'm checking out a new place and don't find anything I will stop by a park and dig a few clad coins, then buy a cold one. It feels good just to dig something and helps pay for the cold one too.
    Loco-Digger and TerryC like this.

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    Minelab Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
    258 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My prospecting originally got me involved. Bought a couple gold detectors, but needed to fill that void when I couldn't make the 2-3 hour trip to the gold belt.

When you started prospecting, did you find lots of gold right away? Or, did you have to work at it for a while to start getting enough gold to make your trip worth while?
    TerryC likes this.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    56 times
    I still haven't found crap! Lol

TerryC and Loco-Digger like this.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ltd063 View Post
    When you started prospecting, did you find lots of gold right away? Or, did you have to work at it for a while to start getting enough gold to make your trip worth while?
    Last comment I made was directed towards this lol

TerryC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    4516 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Ive gone 10 hunts with no silver or anything good . Its the anticipation and good finds will come I promise you that. I get it we all need a bone here and there do research try slowing your swing down !!!!!
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Jan 2013
    NE Oregon
    Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
    21 times
    Prospecting
    Set your detector to the factory recommended settings for starting out. Dig every target. Do not pass over any target thinking it is just trash, or iron, etc. Many newcomers to the hobby get frustrated when they can't find anything and start fiddling with the settings. Big mistake, leave that until you have a lot more experience with your detector. Old dirt and gravel roads are great places to find coins. They were likely built by hand with animal power, and many a laborer lost coins during their work day in the road bed. I have found old coins in older dirt and gravel roads that were just laying in plain sight after a rain storm, even in an over-detected ghost town! Think outside the box, where were people moving, working, playing, standing around years ago? That's where they dropped things, including coins. And yes, I have found way too many modern coins for my liking, but it goes with the territory. Be patient, and methodical.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX Keene A52
    12638 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    One thing to think about - just because it's an old site doesn't mean there are old coins in the ground - a story I've related here a number of times:

My ancestors were the original settlers of my farm, dating back to somewhere around the 1730's. And, my ancestors were dirt poor, bartered in trade for goods.

In the 1930's, Mom lost a nickel, and her grandmother searched for that nickel for several weeks before she found it. Money was THAT important to them then. They usually did not carry money day to day.

That doesn't mean old sites are a complete waste, as you will find relics.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links