Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. I'm getting the blues with metal detecting. The only thing of any age to it that I have found was a 1954 wheat penny and that was literally in the middle of the woods. I've been detecting a man's property who's house was built in 1830, and only pulled 90's pennies and dimes. I've researched old historic maps, and gone to those old homesteads, and found nothing. I love the hobby, it keeps me intrigued and the time flies by...but I haven't found ANYTHING! There is literally so much history where I live, and yet I can't find anything. I'd settle for a darn 1960 quarter for crying out loud. I just don't understand how you all are finding relics, 1800's coins, jewelry, etc. I feel I have a very good understanding of my detector (Whites XLT)...amd yet, here I am typing this. I have spent hundreds in gas, hours researching, days upon days away from my family chasing those coils finds, and just haven't found any thing that screams "this is what it's all about!" To me. I don't want to give up, and want to stay motivated....but that frustration is hitting me HARD! Any advice you could give to help me make some finds, and also raise my spirits would be great! Like seriously...how do you become good at metal detecting!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you started prospecting, did you find lots of gold right away? Or, did you have to work at it for a while to start getting enough gold to make your trip worth while?
Last comment I made was directed towards this lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive gone 10 hunts with no silver or anything good . Its the anticipation and good finds will come I promise you that. I get it we all need a bone here and there do research try slowing your swing down !!!!!

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Set your detector to the factory recommended settings for starting out. Dig every target. Do not pass over any target thinking it is just trash, or iron, etc. Many newcomers to the hobby get frustrated when they can't find anything and start fiddling with the settings. Big mistake, leave that until you have a lot more experience with your detector. Old dirt and gravel roads are great places to find coins. They were likely built by hand with animal power, and many a laborer lost coins during their work day in the road bed. I have found old coins in older dirt and gravel roads that were just laying in plain sight after a rain storm, even in an over-detected ghost town! Think outside the box, where were people moving, working, playing, standing around years ago? That's where they dropped things, including coins. And yes, I have found way too many modern coins for my liking, but it goes with the territory. Be patient, and methodical.:icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to think about - just because it's an old site doesn't mean there are old coins in the ground - a story I've related here a number of times:

My ancestors were the original settlers of my farm, dating back to somewhere around the 1730's. And, my ancestors were dirt poor, bartered in trade for goods.

In the 1930's, Mom lost a nickel, and her grandmother searched for that nickel for several weeks before she found it. Money was THAT important to them then. They usually did not carry money day to day.

That doesn't mean old sites are a complete waste, as you will find relics.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing to think about - just because it's an old site doesn't mean there are old coins in the ground - a story I've related here a number of times:

My ancestors were the original settlers of my farm, dating back to somewhere around the 1730's. And, my ancestors were dirt poor, bartered in trade for goods.

In the 1930's, Mom lost a nickel, and her grandmother searched for that nickel for several weeks before she found it. Money was THAT important to them then. They usually did not carry money day to day.

That doesn't mean old sites are a complete waste, as you will find relics.
Learning the history of a place like yours is my satisfaction. 100, 200 years, or more. Finding the artifacts is the icing on the cake! Especially if they were found through pure research. ╦╦Ç

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too started this year. Ive probably got a 100 hours of detecting in this year. My wife too dose not understand the hobby but supports me which is helpful. Its all about location and getting through the trash. TRASH! I cant sand it but you will always dig it. You have to. Even if you know or think you know its a pull tab or foil you dig it and recheck the hole. You dont know whats down there untill its in your hand or staring at you from the dirt. I love this hobby. Its frustrating and satisfying all at the same time. Im still looking for old coins...still searching. They will come. JUst keep swinging swinging SWINGING!!!

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geezer is spot on... I'm new my self and I dig almost everything just to see what my md is saying.. keep your head up and have positive thoughts... keep swinging 🖒

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brother, I started MDing to get out of my own head and get outside. I've found some cool stuff over the past 2 years. I MD with a fellow retired Marine that I met on TNet and just getting out and bsing and shooting the breeze with him makes my day. I've been busy around my house clearing land and just told my Commanding Officer errrr I mean my wife that I need to go out and detect she was like well no sheeeet get out there and have fun. I really am at the point right now where if I find something, great and if I don't it doesn't mean a thing. That's not to say that I didn't feel like wrapping my machine around a tree on more than one occasion on my journey to my current MD utopia. I live in Dahlonega and travel to Alabama often, maybe one day you can link up with me and my partner and dig some targets. Stay Motivated and stack Bodies

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many hobbies "conquer" everything:)Here is my list..... Reloading ammo,RC planes,Air guns,gold panning,aerial photography,wine making,guitar,metal detecting,long range shooting ....And my fave .... 029.JPG

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just_curious,
On the White's site, back in the day, there was a fella that posted a great deal of information about the XLT - what settings for what type of target/ground/coil/etc. It may still be there?

Yes it can be frustrating, the experience is our training and how we learn and asking questions on TNET will gain you some assistance. The "test garden" has all ready been suggested and it can be of great help especially if you can leave it there for a long time but of course that means you must have a map of what item (type of metal) is buried at what depth and with what other object (nails/pull tabs/bottle caps/a piece of tin can with a coin/etc.) As the years build on your test bed the readings are going to change!

Where to go? Hints: Where are the tallest, biggest trees in your area (go there) kids play in trees/people sit in the shade of trees/people bury stuff at or near a significant landmark (like a tree). The older homes in any town But you have to knock on the door and ask permission and then you have to not mess up their grass or yard!! Once I've located a target in the ground I use a brass probe to find and remove the target. this means that the hole is mostly below the grass with the surface hole about the size of my finger and the probe. A finger size hole closes up quite nicely BUT its slow and can be a real pain if there are rocks in the ground around the target. After I've used the detector to locate the target I will lay the machine on the grass near the hole and begin to probe for the target, often as I hit the target or get very close to it the detector will react. I suspect the detector leaves a charge in the ground around the target and the nearness of the brass probe to the target could release this charge, my guess.

So yes, a lack of good targets (silver coins, jewelry, a gold tooth Crown), can be a downer but learning your machine will help you to understand what it is telling you and it is telling you 'stuff' about every target. Learning comes with experience in the field and on a test bench while waving different targets past a coil (coil's) and from your own test garden. Then of course there is how you swing the coil: low and slow, low and fast or do you angle the coil to the ground at the start and end of your swings (not a good thing). Proper technique in the use of any detector is required, like X'ing the target to help locate it. Once I've X'ed the target I will use a thin pointed stick to mark the center of the X (or a plastic poker chip). Yes pin pointers are now common but then you've just dug a large plug in someone's yard or in the park's yard, using a brass probe is old school but it makes the homeowner happy. (Warning: ANY probe, brass rod or a screwdriver, can scratch a target, when that target is really good you do not want to have damaged it yourself. Technique is important!)

There is a lot to finding good places to detect and if you can make any home owner happy about the experience then they just might help you with the next neighbor. I used to mow lawns to assist in getting permission (found a silver Rosie at one home). I've returned things to the home owner. I try to make them happy about having me there. Yes lots of people have been around before you which means you must try harder and be more inventive in finding new possibilities in your area. Your detector thinks a nickel or a brass shell casing is gold so be careful when you set your machine to filter out 'junk metal'! You could start by running without any filters, find a target and then switch to one or another type of filter as this can also Tell You what is actually in the ground. Yes the XLT has icons of what the target could be but what the machine tells or shows you can depend on what filters you are using.

Finding a gold crown in soil with pea-gravel in it with a brass probe Was a pain in the back side but I kept at it as the machine told me the target was worthwhile but I'd used the machine enough to believe in it.

I used to be squirmy about being out detecting when lots of people were around. One morning I happened past the town chamber of commerce and noticed the sidewalk had been torn up (all the detecting magazines tell you to jump on sidewalk tear-outs) so I started swinging. ( Note: I was using earphones so I am listening intently to each whisper and I am Zoned Out to what is going on around me) So I get a few bottle caps one at a time, then I feel odd and look up to see the towns people have gotten out and I'm sensitive to this so I start to leave but I've still got my coil over the exposed dirt. As I'm heading for my ride I get a signal that is really loud. In my mind I go "What kind of a bottle cap is it this time"!? I pull the coil away and I can see the circle in the dirt. I push on one edge and my first gold ring rolls up. So much for feeling Odd when people are around.

Educate yourself by learning your machine and what each change to the settings is doing for or to you, this takes time but it will payoff. Best of success.................63bkpkr

PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG Both rings were found with a detector. The Sharp Shooter ring is Aluminum and it's partially cracked. The Mickey Mouse ring is Sterling Silver no damage. I was offered more money for the Sharp Shooter ring. Yes, I retrieved the rings with my 6" long brass probe.

Addendum - I was reading over the full post from start to finish when this thought ran through my mind: Here is a real Clue - do your research and find Historical bus stop locations! Many will be under cement, sigh but again hit those sidewalk tear-outs, but for the ones that are not they could be valuable to you. True Story: one day in Palo Alto, CA I was doing my early morning detecting when I stopped at a bus stop that had an open slat bench sitting on top of dirt, just a tiny area. It was a gold mine for coins! My take from that spot paid for some detecting accessories. Be sure to make the ground look pretty after you are finished. 63

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread