I have a spot that I want to hunt but can’t find it. Need advice.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Historic Aerials I have a old homestead mapped out. This parish only goes back to 1935 but it disappears off the map in 1939 which tells me it’s a lot older than 1935. I took a walk down the shell road that shows it was on but I didn’t see any trace of it. Our woods are thick even in the winter if you wanna call it that. My question is if there’s no foundation to be seen (tons of pine needles, pine tree forest) what the best way of locating that exact spot? It showed that it was right off the shell road, but sometimes those maps can be off. It might be 60yrs in which is rough to get to, so I at least want the best place to go in at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's riiiiight there ---------------->

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't take long for nature to take over where a building used to be. And the one you're talking about is almost 80 years old gone. Yes the foundation can be long gone as well.

But when you're on Historic Aerials, you should be able to get a pretty good read on where that building was. There should be multiple aerial and topo years that you can toggle through.

If you still cannot get a good read, you could always do an overlay on Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do you own a drone?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't take long for nature to take over where a building used to be. And the one you're talking about is almost 80 years old gone. Yes the foundation can be long gone as well.

But when you're on Historic Aerials, you should be able to get a pretty good read on where that building was. There should be multiple aerial and topo years that you can toggle through.

If you still cannot get a good read, you could always do an overlay on Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

It sure did. I was just hoping there was a way of somehow getting the exact longitude and latitude because it’s like going through the Amazon with no trail. They actually have a missing homestead in the woods that I’m suppose to be able to walk out my front door and get too and I’ve never found that one till this day. It’s still hot as hell out here and the mosquitoes stay all year round.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure did. I was just hoping there was a way of somehow getting the exact longitude and latitude because it’s like going through the Amazon with no trail. They actually have a missing homestead in the woods that I’m suppose to be able to walk out my front door and get too and I’ve never found that one till this day. It’s still hot as hell out here and the mosquitoes stay all year round.

But I’ll find this one hell or high water

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all else fails, I'd try detecting around what I think is the closest likely spot. You should pickup rusty nails, iron etc. when you are getting close.
luvsdux

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You need a spot detector!
High ground holds oldest sights near me. Due to climate ,Eastern and Southern exposure for winter sunlight to reduce snow and provide light. Your area may have favored cooler facing exposures.
Come spring you can keep an eye out for plants,trees,or shrubs over grown. All over grown ,or to great height.
Non native trees that were planted in the region. Or ,native specimens arranged in a pattern ( Planted ,or the result of selective thinning or clearing),or simply a cluster on an acre sight.
Around here ,lilacs mark old homesites where a hard life woman was gifted one from a friend or relative or carried a cutting to plant.
Non native spruce mark some old sites , and apple trees often mean a home was around.

Might be hints of old paths back and forth to water too. Horses ect. left narrow " runs" .
One old site had boulders that once were foundations and pillars.
White pine stumps made old fence rows.
Finding what don't fit natural randomness is harder than having a good map. But is possible with patience.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a spot detector!
High ground holds oldest sights near me. Due to climate ,Eastern and Southern exposure for winter sunlight to reduce snow and provide light. Your area may have favored cooler facing exposures.
Come spring you can keep an eye out for plants,trees,or shrubs over grown. All over grown ,or to great height.
Non native trees that were planted in the region. Or ,native specimens arranged in a pattern ( Planted ,or the result of selective thinning or clearing),or simply a cluster on an acre sight.
Around here ,lilacs mark old homesites where a hard life woman was gifted one from a friend or relative or carried a cutting to plant.
Non native spruce mark some old sites , and apple trees often mean a home was around.

Might be hints of old paths back and forth to water too. Horses ect. left narrow " runs" .
One old site had boulders that once were foundations and pillars.
White pine stumps made old fence rows.
Finding what don't fit natural randomness is harder than having a good map. But is possible with patience.

Thank you I’ll put a better eye out next time

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to assume that "shell road" is the same as a "gravel road" but made of shell. The homestead has to have had a driveway connecting to the shell road. Find a "rise" in the side ditch that would suggest a driveway connected the lot to the road. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to assume that "shell road" is the same as a "gravel road" but made of shell. The homestead has to have had a driveway connecting to the shell road. Find a "rise" in the side ditch that would suggest a driveway connected the lot to the road. ╦╦Ç

IMG_1555.JPG yeah even if it’s gravel we call it a “shell road” down here. White shells, oyster shells everywhere it seems.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1515716 yeah even if it’s gravel we call it a “shell road” down here. White shells, oyster shells everywhere it seems.

Ok. Even if the driveway is completely overgrown, it's still there..... in some form. Walk the ditch until you find it. You may even find more than one driveway.... leading to other places to hunt. ╦╦Ç

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The last of the 64 parishes was established in 1910 so I don't know what you mean when you wrote: "This parish only goes back to 1935". Are you referring to the earliest date a map showed the parish you are interested in? Can you post a pic of the map on which the homestead you are looking for is marked?

Don......

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Can't help you with maps and such but there is one way that you might be able to find these sites with a little luck and a lot of walking.
An old style throwback way to find sites like this.

This is the personal website of a super nice guy called KCSteve...
http://kcsteve.wixsite.com/kcsteve/blog
A cheap site that is slow and buggy but well worth the time spent there reading about his adventure I can assure you.

He came and spoke at one of my club's meetings a few years ago when I lived in Kansas, talked about what he does, how he does it and answered all our questions plus he brought tons of what he has found and I can tell you this guy was impressive.

He has been doing this hobby for over 35 years and for the last few decades he has specialized in looking for long lost tradeposts and civilian and military campsites...Dragoon sites especially.
He gets permission from huge land owners 100% of the time and looks for old camps on sometimes fields and farms but also sometimes way out in the middle of nowhere on still wide open lands that might encompass hundreds if not thousands of acres.

He uses all the modern tools he can to locate possible sites, the web, old maps, any history about troop movements plus any info he can find at the libraries to narrow down his search areas but all of that can only get him so far.
Sometimes, many times the only thing he can do is get on a huge piece of land and start walking and many times he walks for many miles on those open plains.
He swings his detector as he walks and listens and if and when he gets to a spot where he finally comes across metal he stops and examines that area better.
If he sees signs of the right kind of metal targets he has learned to look for so well, nails, horse tack and other things plus ash from campfires he starts to dig.
I asked him how many miles he has walked doing this and he said he couldn't tell me but it was much more than even he would like to know and uncountable hours swinging that coil hearing nothing as he walks over these vast areas.
All in a day's work it to him though, despite all the wasted time it was all worth it once he came across a long ago forgotten and now totally hidden and buried campsite.
He has discovered dozens of sites over the years doing it this way, sometimes this is the only way to accomplish this and you need to wrap your head around spending the time and effort finding great sites this way if you want to be as successful as he has been.

Last edited:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent found my home site ive been searching for either. Close to a road that has moved in the last 100 years. I do see some un natural landscape so thats where i wonder. I hate iron but it seems to be useful in finding the older stuff. I hope to stumble upon it soon. I know ive been within eye sight of the damn place... but where? Also havent found any coins older than a 1927 wheatie. Some relics that may be older though (old UMC&CO shotgun brass). The map i have is from 1899, the houses disappear in the newer topo maps. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I havent found my home site ive been searching for either. Close to a road that has moved in the last 100 years. I do see some un natural landscape so thats where i wonder. I hate iron but it seems to be useful in finding the older stuff. I hope to stumble upon it soon. I know ive been within eye sight of the damn place... but where? Also havent found any coins older than a 1927 wheatie. Some relics that may be older though (old UMC&CO shotgun brass). The map i have is from 1899, the houses disappear in the newer topo maps. Good luck and happy hunting!

I’ve went twice and no trace. Pine tree woods with 4 inches on pine needles on the ground. We have thick woods even in the winter.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look for ornimental plants in that area, fruit trees, bulb flowers. Get a probe rod to tap around on ground surface to find rocks or bricks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread