Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made the first trek into the yard today (my yard is about 2 acres) that has been SCOURED with the DFX. Came up with a couple modern Lincoln cents, several small pieces of twisted copper, and a strange, notched, copper washer. I wasn't out there long, maybe 30 minutes. I'm going to "plant" a line of junk silver, copper, and maybe a couple gold coin/rings in the yard, flat and on-edge, leave them there until spring, testing different settings during that time. I know it won't be as good as "in the wild" finds, but will be a start..
I'm going to get a swath of my back pasture brush-hogged this week and check part of it out. My driveway and about 200 yards along one side of my back field was a county/township road WAY back before my old farmhouse was even built (approx 130 yrs ago), might turn up interesting artifacts.
So far, LOVE this beast!

Upvote 0

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It sounds like you are going about things the right way...trying the 3030 out on familiar territory and setting up a test garden. I have had my 3030 for about three years and still haven't come close to "really" learning the machine and all of its capabilities. The CTX3030 has its own learning curve, but it sounds like you are motivated to mastering it. Good luck!

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a copy of Andy Sabisch's book and wear it out! It will really cut down on the learning curve time. I went to one of his bootcamps after using the 3030 for 2 years and came away with a better perspective and a sense of confidence. Happy Hunting!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a copy of Andy Sabisch's book and wear it out! It will really cut down on the learning curve time. I went to one of his bootcamps after using the 3030 for 2 years and came away with a better perspective and a sense of confidence. Happy Hunting!

I agree I dont have a 3030, but got Andy's book for my Etrac and Deus and it made and still makes things make more sense

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful planting stuff in the lawn. Last time I did that it took two months to find the last two merc dimes.

OP
OP
S

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful planting stuff in the lawn. Last time I did that it took two months to find the last two merc dimes.

I screw small hooks into two trees 50 yds or so apart. I then make up a cord with loops on each end hooked to the two trees. As I "plant" things along the cord, I mark that spot with a Sharpie. When I'm finished, I roll up the cord for later testing/detecting/retrieving.

Last edited:

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep me updated on the 3030! I’m about to purchase one myself but have been very hesitant with the equinox release and the fact that it costs so much. Im still very certain my decision will be 3030.

OP
OP
S

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep me updated on the 3030! I’m about to purchase one myself but have been very hesitant with the equinox release and the fact that it costs so much. Im still very certain my decision will be 3030.

From what I'm to understand (reading, conversations with dealers, Minelab rep), the Equinox is designed to be cheaper and more user-friendly, but no where near as capable as the 3030. Something like 1/20th the frequencies of the 3030.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh that just got me so much more excited for my decision! It’s the 3030, I know it. I’m going for it!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh that just got me so much more excited for my decision! It’s the 3030, I know it. I’m going for it!

If you put the 3030 over DIFFICULT targets you will have success. If you put it over NO targets you will regret your purchase. What I’m saying is...be sure to put yourself in line with success,places that HAVE produced but it’s getting tough. With all the CTX has to offer as far as performance and frills,it’s a monster like no other. The Equinox will be good,I’m sure of that. It won’t be a CTX,I’m sure of that as well.
Keep us posted...

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and best of luck also to sabre2th. Can’t wait to get it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my CTX a bit over two years now, do love it - but find I spend too much time listened to and analyzing the targets before I dig. I've drifted from paying constant attention to the screen and just digging solid signals. I have Andy's book, and went to his boot camp as well - learned a lot more there. But I still had to change my ways of dilly-dallying around each target trying to play scientist versus just digging good signals.

The stock coil has absolutely great depth, dug two old screw caps at 14" in that soft sod of Michigan earlier this year.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m definitely planning to not solely dig based on the screen. Solid signals is the way to go for my safari as well. Feel like a kid on Christmas waiting for the new machine to arrive.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re absolutely right guys,the basics don’t change. Got a solid signal that passes the the quick criteria you’ve set? Dig a hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread