garrett gold stinger...

I

ieatplaydough

been doing alot of research on this one..........i like a fully adjustable detector with knobs.........not scrolling through menus and stuff.........makes you look like a dweeb........it appears that this machine can be a good weapon in the right hands.......from what i have read, it seems the people with little patience or knowledge of what it is doing, rate this rig poorly.......does anybody here have one?..........what are your thoughts.........this will most likely be my next detector.........i like the fact that you can locate black sands with it.........even if it isn't up to par with the mine labs for nugget hunting...

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
By the way the MXT also has the ability to locate black sands. Sorry I have never used this model.You may have better luck on one of the nugget hunting forums. Here is Steve H's review of the Gold Stinger.? George

Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger (List $549, 15 kHz) - The Garrett Gold Stinger is based on the famous Garrett Groundhog circuit. The Stinger includes a full-range discrimination circuit for coin hunting. Literally like owning two detectors in one, the Gold Stinger is a good unit for someone who wants to coin hunt as much as nugget hunt. One accessory coil is available for the Stinger.

Steve's Opinion - The Gold Stinger offers good entry level performance. But I'm afraid the Stinger is showing its age and it is way overdue for an update. One thing I really do not like about the unit is the battery replacement scheme. You must pull the circuit board out into the open to replace the batteries. It exposes the machine to potential damage and is more complicated than it should be. The Gold Stinger actually has pretty good performance for its price and has some unique features, like its TR discrimination circuit. I just wish Garrett would just fix that battery system!

Wirechief

Greenie
Sep 5, 2004
I have to agree with Bakergeol on the Scorpion, I have done some research on it also and I think it might need updating. The Tesoro Lobo Super Traq would be hard to beat. Just my 2 cents worth.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? John's Radio & Metal Detectors

K

knuckles

Wirechief said:
I have to agree with Bakergeol on the Scorpion, I have done some research on it also and I think it might need updating. The Tesoro Lobo Super Traq would be hard to beat. Just my 2 cents worth.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? John's Radio & Metal Detectors

Thanks for the info, I too was looking into buying a Garrret Scorpion MDer but there was no info any where about its flaws or drawbacks, and now I am looking into the Lobo SuperTRAQ because it isnt that much more money + it is good for MDing for gold.

Thanks all you guys for the info because it is hard to get info sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread