Minelab Equinox vs Minelab Safari

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

So I’ve about plastered questions on the ctx abilities all over this forum, but now I’d like to get all of your opinions on how to Equinox will handle versus the Safari. I absolutely love the safari, and besides the waterproof part, Id love your professional opinions on the comparison between the two.

I have ZERO complaints on the safari, but it really is my first higher end machine. I don’t know too much jargon yet on this hobby as far as technology goes, although I’ve been detecting for quite a while and I should definitely learn.

What are your thoughts? I’m in the market for a new machine. It wouldn’t necessarily replace my safari, but it may make a good brother to it :)

Thanks all.

BrettCo

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox? Wait till some real life reviews come out. You also might go with one or more other brands. The Safari as I understand it is very good, I've seen one in action, a little on the heavy side but it does find relics. The Equinox, a total unknown, except in the promotional videos.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I have the safari already and love it. Just need an underwater machine. I love Minelab and don’t want to steer away from them. I just mean where the technology differs in the guts of the machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorpro makes an underwater machine, relatively inexpensive. I almost bought one but I decided not to bother with water hunting. Been plenty of good stuff on the dry sand and on the land.

coherent

Sep 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry and don't mean to offend, but how in the world can you ask such a question when the detector hasn't been... errr released yet to the public?? How can anyone offer an opinion or compare the equinox detector to anything that's not based on pure guessing/speculation? I'm either missing something or you know something I don't... or a third possibility, I don't get the joke.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No joke here. I’m asking about the technology from equinox which is laid out on the website, versus safari which has been out for years. Also explained how I do not understand the technology (fbs, etc). I asked for an opinion on that alone since I’m an amateur on that end and you all may be able to provide an answer based on what’s already known about the machines.

Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brettco124, wait until some folks get them and use them. Not all great ideas on paper worked out - like the Edsel automobile. You never know. Or most of Wiley coyotes' Acme roadrunner catching devices. It may not be that much different from the Safari. We can get some serious cash tied up in machines real fast. I know all about that.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with Smokey. Admittedly, I'm optimistic about this new machine. However, I suggest waiting until we get some user feedback once the unit is in the hands of the detecting public. We'll then have facts based on actual field use and structured testing rather than opinions based on a specification sheet put out by the manufacturer.

Just the view from my foxhole...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it will be a GOOD machine. Pretty much. HOWEVER, will it do what YOU need? Will it beat the competition? We don't know yet. If you take my $300 beloved Tesoro and take it out in my lawn against by Deus, the Deus will win hands down. Soil is moderate but has a lot of "burn" patches in it where people burned trash, and lots of scrap iron.

If you take them to a wide open light sandy loam farm field with no hot rocks and no iron patches, well, the Tesoro will hold its own.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the amazing advice per usual. I am not purchasing the equinox at this moment. In fact, the first choice is the ctx. I’m just curious on technology. Not performance. Can anyone elaborate on the technology, and how it’s supposed to operate?

For example, maybe the fbs technology in the safari means it is meant to go deeper than whatever technology is behind the equinox. Even if it doesn’t end up performing that way, I’m just curious on what the technology means (not how it will definitely operate when in hands). Another example would be fbs2 in the ctx. How is that different from fbs In the Safari? That’s what I’m looking to understand between the equinox and safari, not hands on testing. Hoping that makes more sense.

Thanks all.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this going to go the direction the AT Max went, at first no one knew anything but a few secret squirrels on here, then the Max turd comes out and is named in vids, very few details mentioned though but so many giving professional opinions.

Before that machine could hit the shelves it developed two types of people, those sick of the hype, and those who would have purchased an alarm clock in the shape of an MD just because it was from the AT Slow line up.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.

So, somewhere my question was thrown off track. I appreciate everyone’s response, but here is all I’m asking (and perhaps I should have phrased it this was first):

Equinox says it has:
6 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, Multi)

The safari has:
FBS technology.
Frequency : 1.5 kHz to 100 kHz
28 simultaneously broadcasting frequencies.

I don’t know what that means, and if that “technically” makes one better than the other. That’s all I’m really asking.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes physical time to go across that frequency range. Frequency gets generated, sent to coil, then back to the control box. It all takes tiny increments of time. It could theoretically also "confuse" a machine temporarily when the loop is over multi targets.

If I were you, I'd field test any machines you are considering purchasing. Seeing them in person is priceless. Should be some dealers near you.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone.

So, somewhere my question was thrown off track. I appreciate everyone’s response, but here is all I’m asking (and perhaps I should have phrased it this was first):

Equinox says it has:
6 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, Multi)

The safari has:
FBS technology.
Frequency : 1.5 kHz to 100 kHz
28 simultaneously broadcasting frequencies.

I don’t know what that means, and if that “technically” makes one better than the other. That’s all I’m really asking.

Thanks everyone.

These two machines are COMPLETELY different. It is like comparing a a putter, to a Three-wood - You can't. The Safari SUCKS as a gold prospecting machine, but excels as a deep coinshooter. It is good on a saltwater beach in the wet sand, or on dry land. It operates as a "Multi-frequency" detector ALL the time. The Equinox gives you Five SINGLE-frequencies to choose from, including freqs that are GREAT for gold nugget detecting, and freqs that are PERFECT for deep coins and reliics. It ALSO has the option to go Multi-frequency, so you can take it to a saltwater beach.

If the Equinox is what Minelab and several testers say it is, it is going to make most other detectors obsolete. :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry - thank you so much. It looks like the ctx allows you to choose as well?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But wait ... If it can go single freq, and that is a bonus - Wouldn't it be in danger of obsoleting itself ??

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By Minelab's own admission, the Equinox should be better at finding small gold, but, not as good at finding deep silver in comparison to the FBS machines. How much difference in depth is another question to be answered. I do like the faster processor however. That should help in iron infested sites.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett,the CTX runs multi all the time. In response to your initial question about how they work...while the finer workings intrigue me,it matters more to me THAT the FBS/FBS2 works than HOW it works. Since we are not Minelab engineers and they are fairly tight lipped,we will never really fully understand how the FBS processing works. Not FULLY.
Unless you are hunting tiny gold and need one high freq all the time,just buy the CTX and go hunting. The more you wait the more finds you’re missing.��

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions