Why is it so hard to kick dirt back in the hole?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt three homesites in a crop field along a pretty busy road. It is public land,and I am sure I have been seen there many times by passerbuys so all I can do is vent. Went there today........about 25 open holes:BangHead: I have hunted this for the last 4 years with my Etrac and Deus and have not dug that many targets the last 5 trips combined??? If you want to dig every signal fine...........but fill your damn holes, even if it is a field:BangHead:

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain, I went to hunt a closed school a couple years ago during the Christmas holiday season. Some yahoo must have got a detector from Santa. I spent the first 20 minutes picking up the trash left beside each hole and even had to fill in the holes. Some people just don't care. Their carelessness has detrimental effects on our pursuit of this hobby.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always clean up after peeps too....annoying, but as mentioned above. I dont want something thinking i did it. The best is when I get to a spot and I start seeing holes and start cussing under my breathe...then relize its Armadillos or something haha.

Here in FT Worth, youre lucky to find a spot that hasn't been hit 100 times. Ive seen houses getting tore down and then the next day 500 old dig spots....

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the bozos that are responsible for all the trash you see on the ground wherever you go. How the heck can anyone been that lame? Good for you guys to fill in the holes and pick up the trash they dig up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that 100 % I'm lucky that I haven't ran into that yet!!! Hopefully you might see this person and school the fool!!!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but kicking dirt wears out my shoes & makes them Dirty :(
costs me allot of Money for shoe Goo & PC-7 :laughing7:

DSCF0003.JPG

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same thing. I don't want people thinking that it was me being so careless.

Same here, in fact at this time of year in some parks, I've even covered up a few noticeable holes left by squirrels that lost interest in what they were doing and scampered off, not wanting people thinking it was one of us as Rusty mentioned.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out with a friend a year ago, we were in a cut corn field, first thing out of his mouth is oh, good, I don't have to fill in the holes! Well, I turned to him and said, yes you do! I wound up filling in about 10 of his. I not only fill them in, if it's a lawn and somewhat dry out I actually go and WATER the spot with a bottle of water I keep with me.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are finished and leave it should look like you were never there. To leave open holes gives us a bad name and people don't like seeing us and may tell us to get out. Clean up your mess and help to save our hobby.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt an area of three permissions all close to one another . Only I hunt these places . The next day when I go back there were open holes .The plug was destroyed at each hole . I finally found a three legged dog running from one of my places to the other digging up my plugs .

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt an area of three permissions all close to one another . Only I hunt these places . The next day when I go back there were open holes .The plug was destroyed at each hole . I finally found a three legged dog running from one of my places to the other digging up my plugs .

Thats funny...........No plugs even needed here, the beans are harvested, half the field is plowed, the other half just stubble..........pure slob lazyness.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cutting a slit or making a trap door instead of a full circle plug will help with the varmints digging up the target area. It helps keep the grass from dying too.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the same thing happen with the animals , went back to my own fields where we detected a week or so back , just about every one was dug up ,i guess foxes or coyotes thought there was something there.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig a horse shoe pattern so the plug is still attached to the ground .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do 3 sided plugs so the turf is still connected.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To your original question, if you are laying in the hole it is tough to kick the dirt back in but if you've just dug the hole and don't kick the dirt back in then you deserve to be laying in the hole!

Some folks just don't comprehend what it looks like to others to see a big clump of dirt sitting next to a hole in the ground, it's ugly. Don't get me wrong, I like clumps of dirt but they need to be put back where they were taken from...............63bkpkr

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy this hobby and I am so concerned about not making others look bad doing what they enjoy also. This is not a recommendation, this is a Given- FILL EVERY HOLE!!!
Respect this hobby and the land You detect on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread