Still Learning my ACE250

Corey0863

Apr 2, 2007
Mtn. Home Idaho
I have been swinging my Ace every chance I get, and have found just modern clad and tons of pull tabs... I tell you as a parent that some of the stuff I find in tot lots would make parents cringe!! I haven't found any silver or old noteworthy coins, but I'm sure they'll come with time and research at least I hope so. I did get a cool place to detect, but there is no way I'll get thru it all before hunting season starts(archery elk in a week ;D ) My wife works for parks and rec in our town and the pool just closed for the season and the whole area is fenced off so I know I'm the only one in there swingin, theres probably 1/2 acre of grass in there, so it'll keep me busy for awhile. I know there is some silver in there, I can smell it!!! It seems I can't make it more than 3 or 4 feet without hitting a coin. I hope to get some jewelry to, I've been digging every signal, but its hard to learn what the detector is telling me when it bounces back and forth on the target id!! My wife stole it from me last trip there and she found 2 quarters and some dimes and she had a blast doing it!

Upvote 0

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it. You will find all sorts of stuff.

The truth is the easy silver and old coins have been picked up already. Before anybody screams that Im wrong, what Im saying is that you have to work and research to have a hope at them. Even then, "old" doesnt guarantee anything.

We detectorists really are scavengers of sorts, coming behind others and hoping to uncover what they left behind, either through loss or oversight. VERY often what we find is trash, since trash has always been just that - trash. Even Roman sites are littered with Roman trash which still has little value, except in an academic way. People in any age, have cared little for the trash of their age and it is only serendipity that "one man's trash is another mans treasure." In truth, it mostly remains what it always was...trash.

I have a huge collection of "valuable" bottles, that were once someones trash. I was basically duped into believing that they represented value. I fell into the, "if its old, it must be worth something" trap. If today I were to make the effort to turn them into cash, I daresay it would cost me more to do so than I would reap.

The best we can hope for is that someone will have left something good behind, since where people go they lose all kinds of things - and occasionally it is something good. It does happen.

Until it does, we have to contend with the trash.

Just keep having fun.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
It is bound to happen, keep a swinging...

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hunt a local city swimming pool area once a year back in the 80's. It was pay to hunt once a year deal. It was amazing how much we found. The pool was built back in the 50's I think. If you take your time you will find some nice goodies there. I would dig everything. Good luck with the detector and the rifle.
DANGLANGLEY

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Please follow the arrow too the next hunting ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread