What to do with these damn LLC properties!?!?

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I'm curious as to how you all deal with these shenanigans. You're out driving around, looking for likely locations for old homesteads. As you approach, you see the GIGANTIC OAKS, an old Chimney but nothing else, old fence posts, etc. You think to yourself, "THAT'S THE SPOT!" You take a look around, and notice that there's modern fences, gates, and no trespassing signs posted. So, you pull out your phone to run the location through a GIS/Parcel data app to try to figure out who the owner is in order to try to convince them to give you permission so you don't get shot, arrested, or ruin the hobby for others. You locate the parcel and read the name, and it's none other then those pesky "(Insert name here) LLC. You run the business name through google,bing,yahoo, you name it, and get NO RESULTS. How do you proceed?

It seems that all these potential historic properties are owned by these LLC's. Sure, there are some that lease the land for hunting, but thn there's others with absolutely no information about them. Almost like they are "fronts". I've experienced this while trying to access creeks in gold bearing areas, and also in areas to simply coin/relic shoot. It's almost like there's a deliberate attempt to keep these sites with potential riches/history on lock down. Sometimes it'll be timber company, other times a LLC, and even "living trusts". Meanwhile, you can't find any information about how to contact the true property owner.

Another thing that I have noticed, is some of the counties that I attempt to view the parcel data, it is only accessible to city employees. This really bothers me. I could see if it was state wide, but to pick a handful of counties, and make them above top secret to view the data, but all are on the same state GIS website...it just doesn't make sense.

Any input would be great.

Also, are any of you all using a nation wide free GIS/Parcel app? I have downloaded a couple that claimed to be free, and the app was phenomenal and worked great, but they turned out to not be free, and only gave a certain number of searches/days before having to pay. If any of you have any good recommendations for apps to find parcel data, I would love to hear about them.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have sent requests, and have received replies, politely denying permissions. Some have said they have hired archeologists to do surveys of their lands, and where to view there finds and conclusions. They aren't all bad, just protecting their interests.

That brings up another point. Land developers hereabouts live in fear that some excavator turns up human/Native American remains or artifacts. Suddenly it adds years and millions of dollars to the project. We had a local college wanting to add a dormitory and they found a gravesite for what had been a "poor farm" in the late 1800's with dozens of unmarked graves. The remains had to be relocated and properly interred for a lot of $$$. I'm sure a LLC would feel the less the soil is disturbed the lower the chance it happens.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the county tax records. That tax bill has to go somewhere and it's usually listed in those records.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would too, but for some reason, the county that I'm looking in has all restricted information such as GIS, records, etc. At least as far as online goes. Which is weird, because I go to access the information from the state's website, and all the other counties are available to view, but not this county. But then again, the town was ran by the mob in the 1950's and there are plenty of people that still think that's the case if you know what to look far lol. I'm not going to take it that far in my assumptions though. That's also not a theory, but a well known historical fact lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have better luck going down to the county office and see what I can figure out. On a side note, I'm still trying to dig up death records for a family name/property from the 1850s/60s in an attempt to confirm or deny the persons/property's existence.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a neighbor knows.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if it was covered, i blitzed through the posts, anyway google the LLC, its public record and unless its a brand new LLC you will find the info you need.
Additionally LLC is needed in today's world, My business and rental properties are in LLC's, this is so if someone gets a hang nail on my property they cant leave me in ruin by going after everything I got

diver9

Greenie
Feb 7, 2013
Exeter NH
Detector(s) used
Edgetech 4125 side scan sonar and Humminbird 1197 side scan sonar
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
2 places to try and find the owner:

1) Of course the Real Estate Assessor's Office Database each town/city has-go to the town website and drill down to the Assessor's Office and get to their database; dial in the property by street address; governments will provide varying degree of detail as to Owners but at the least you should have an address to which tax bills are sent;

Some cities/towns don't have this online yet but not many.

2) As to LLCs/LLPs/C-corps etc. go to the State not a town or city; all such information is managed in a public database by the Secretary of State/SOS; there you will also find varying degrees of detail; so for a search in a state, say Rhode Island, just Google "Rhode Island Secretary of State" and it will come right up-take it from there.

Going further, many SOS's databases provide the names and home addresses of all Corporate Officers among other useful tidbits.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to track down a neighboring property owned by an LLC. Property had just been sold in the previous six months. So I got the address of the property, looked up the tax bill. Found the name of the owner, the LLC, on the tax bill, looked up the LLC in the state records and managed to call the owner and got permission to detect in about 45 minutes all in all.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 places to try and find the owner:

1) Of course the Real Estate Assessor's Office Database each town/city has-go to the town website and drill down to the Assessor's Office and get to their database; dial in the property by street address; governments will provide varying degree of detail as to Owners but at the least you should have an address to which tax bills are sent;

Some cities/towns don't have this online yet but not many.

2) As to LLCs/LLPs/C-corps etc. go to the State not a town or city; all such information is managed in a public database by the Secretary of State/SOS; there you will also find varying degrees of detail; so for a search in a state, say Rhode Island, just Google "Rhode Island Secretary of State" and it will come right up-take it from there.

Going further, many SOS's databases provide the names and home addresses of all Corporate Officers among other useful tidbits.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I checked the SOS and came up with nothing. I searched the business entity section and got no results. I also tried propertyshark and tried locating the owner of the LLC, and it says no results found. I've also searched the heck out of Google. It's just like I was saying, I feel like alot of these huge chunks of land are registered as fraudulent LLC's....i just don't know why. I have been successful in finding a good amount of LLC owners before by searching the net....but then there's these ones that exist without a trace.

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have an app on my phone called "HuntStand" I use it to quickly find a property owner by locating myself on the map and simply clicking the property. I do a lot of deer antler shed hunting and run into this LLC problem all the time.
The easiest ay I've found is to locate the LLC name and do a state search for that LLC. My state (Ohio) allows the public to view all of the signed documents online which usually include a owner of the LLC's name and I find them on Facebook or through white pages etc. and simply ask permission to walk the property.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have an app on my phone called "HuntStand" I use it to quickly find a property owner by locating myself on the map and simply clicking the property. I do a lot of deer antler shed hunting and run into this LLC problem all the time.
The easiest ay I've found is to locate the LLC name and do a state search for that LLC. My state (Ohio) allows the public to view all of the signed documents online which usually include a owner of the LLC's name and I find them on Facebook or through white pages etc. and simply ask permission to walk the property.
Huntstand is what I used to but you're limited on the amount of searches you get. But at least they have information about my County which I can't get on the State website

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The tax bill is being sent somewhere. The GIS data should include a mailing address for tax purposes; it may only be a P.O. Box but that would be a start. Good luck.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Minnesota, corporate records - name searches are conducted on the Secretary of State Business Filing database. It may be so with other states. Hope this helps!

Www.sos.state.mn.us is the first step in Minnesota

On not finding the LLC info, recent federal laws on LLC records and such has folks changing their incorporation, likely name as well, so it could be a trick if they haven't changed signage.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I checked the SOS and came up with nothing. I searched the business entity section and got no results. I also tried propertyshark and tried locating the owner of the LLC, and it says no results found. I've also searched the heck out of Google. It's just like I was saying, I feel like alot of these huge chunks of land are registered as fraudulent LLC's....i just don't know why. I have been successful in finding a good amount of LLC owners before by searching the net....but then there's these ones that exist without a trace.

Hunt property without permission and you'll find out who owns it in no time! :censored:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would too, but for some reason, the county that I'm looking in has all restricted information such as GIS, records, etc. At least as far as online goes. Which is weird, because I go to access the information from the state's website, and all the other counties are available to view, but not this county. But then again, the town was ran by the mob in the 1950's and there are plenty of people that still think that's the case if you know what to look far lol. I'm not going to take it that far in my assumptions though. That's also not a theory, but a well known historical fact lol

Online GIS is a fairly recent thing, many counties going active with it just in the last few years, at least in SC. I imagine some of the poorer counties are having trouble getting it in their budgets. Probably costs a decent chunk of change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions