My First Time Digging

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 400 came in today so I ran out for the last hour of light after I got home from work. My nephew followed in tow thinking we were about to “find gold”.
I got oriented and walked around in an area behind my parents house that’s an overgrown field with lots of traffic from the neighborhood over the years. I started by promptly digging up my first pop can then a few pull tabs that sounded pretty darn good. My nephew (he’s 11) swiped the ground and got a signal. We dug it up and wouldent you know it, it was an old costome jewelry heart. He yelled “SILVER!” It was awesome.
I went on to dig up a few clad coins and a recent bullet, maybe a .38? Anyhow, we also dig up a bunch of trash and carried it out.
I realized a few things already:
1. I gotta slow down and focus more on my pinpoint before digging, we were peetty close but I knew I was rushing it.
2. I discovered the importance of a diggers shovel, and one that’s sharp.
3. A pair of knee pads would be helpful.

I plan on getting a bucket and burying a few different coins at different depths and going over them to see what they read and writing that down on a piece of tape that will go on the detector.

Anyhow, it was a blast and I can’t wait to give it another go tomorrow afternoon!

7D15E54E-88F5-434E-81A4-B5A6F19A9EFE.jpeg
8C5C07CB-AC8F-4036-8340-43AB65770468.jpeg

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tangleone & Nephew!

Welcome to the unique world of metal detecting! I think it was good the Nephew found the silver as now he's also hooked. The bullet 38 or 9mm (9mm is only 0.002" smaller), likely the actual weight of the bullet after cleaning the dirt might give you a clearer idea of which caliber. For the first time out with a brand new machine you've done well, finding targets and gathering data knowledge. Learn the machine, practice, learn the machine, practice, etc for quite some time...................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Tangelone

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Thanks for the tip on the bullets. Appreciate it!

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds. You did very well for your first time out!
Take the time to learn your machine and how to pinpoint. Also practice digging a nice "plug" and always fill your holes so that it looks almost as if you
were never there. And yes....knee pads will pay off for the knees! But....great hunt you had and have fun!!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first finds! I hope treasure finds your coil soon!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the good work. Nice finds!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome job! It seems you have a good grasp on MDing and you know what direction you want to go. Good luck!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the party. Glad to you are enjoying it. It takes a little time to get everything right, but can be quite rewarding.

I look forward to your net post. Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that a test garden target will read a bit different than a target that's been buried for decades. Most metals will react with water and minerals and leach into the soil creating a halo around itself. That halo can alter your reading over that same coin on the surface, or freshly buried. After you get many hours and many targets under your belt, you won't need a cheat sheet. I suggest you dig it all for a while to get used to what the detector is telling you. A swimming beach is best for that usually. Lots of targets and easy recovery make for many items in a short period of time. If you're going to turf hunt, practice in your own yard using a 3 sided "trap door" type plug. Once you get that perfected and can't tell where you've been, you can graduate to public land or someone else's property. Good Luck and have fun! :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting out and digging some treasure. It's a hobby that can fund itself. Being the frugal guy that I am, I use an 88 cent nail apron for my finds. One side is trash and the other is for treasure. Hopefully you have a pin pointer, if not, that would be my next purchase. They aren't totally necessary, but if you want to increase the amount of finds, it is a great investment since it speeds up target recovery time.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, T!!! Ur definitely going about this the right way. Hopefully, this is the beginning of an enjoyable lifelong hobby...and best of luck to u!!! 🙌

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds!

OP
OP
Tangelone

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out and digging some treasure. It's a hobby that can fund itself. Being the frugal guy that I am, I use an 88 cent nail apron for my finds. One side is trash and the other is for treasure. Hopefully you have a pin pointer, if not, that would be my next purchase. They aren't totally necessary, but if you want to increase the amount of finds, it is a great investment since it speeds up target recovery time.

I am one frugal man myself. I like the nail apron idea, Thanks. I got a Pro Pointer with the package and it helps tremendously. Gonna pick up a nail apron tonight, appreciate it!

OP
OP
Tangelone

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that a test garden target will read a bit different than a target that's been buried for decades. Most metals will react with water and minerals and leach into the soil creating a halo around itself. That halo can alter your reading over that same coin on the surface, or freshly buried. After you get many hours and many targets under your belt, you won't need a cheat sheet. I suggest you dig it all for a while to get used to what the detector is telling you. A swimming beach is best for that usually. Lots of targets and easy recovery make for many items in a short period of time. If you're going to turf hunt, practice in your own yard using a 3 sided "trap door" type plug. Once you get that perfected and can't tell where you've been, you can graduate to public land or someone else's property. Good Luck and have fun! :icon_thumleft:

Good to know, Thanks for the tip. I messed around on a volleyball court in the park that certainly made for some easy and mess free digs. It took me about 2 days to get the hand of the 3 sided plug and getting all the dirt back in the hole, but on my 3rd dig, I couldent even tell where I had been after digging about 30 holes. Looking forward to getting even better and hopefully finding more coins (All clad up until this point, but they're still exciting to dig).

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to your new addiction.

Before long you will be almost wrecking your car looking at properties that would be great to detect. Nice first outing too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread