I need some direction...

Grimm_Digger

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, long story short, I had to sell my machine and all accessories because real life happened, well I'm in the market for a new machine. I had a Whites Treasure Master. I'm looking to upgrade to a machine that will last me a long time. My budget is about $450 for the machine, accessories will come later. I'm looking for advice on what machines to look at. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of good machines out there, what type of hunting do you do? also would you consider used?

OP
OP
Grimm_Digger

Grimm_Digger

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly do coin and relic hunting. I tend to stick to fields and wooded areas. And no a good used machine does not bother me at all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like a meter, look at the Fisher F19 if you want a new machine. A used F75 would be a good choice too, as well as a used White's XLT. If you want a detector without a display, take a look at some of the new Tesoro models. Minelab makes some nice machines too, but, probably more than your budget unless you get lucky on a good used one.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can buy a used minelab xterra or even an Etrac I’ve seen For $500 or less so your close. Fisher f70 and Teknetics T2 are in that range as well.

Etrac slams silver so I’m biased! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Makro Racer comes in at 499 new. you can find them used for much less.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s no secret that the guys using FBS powered machines tend to have the highest coin counts when it comes to deep turf silver. However,with you marching through fields and snaking through the woods,I couldn’t recommend one because you likey don’t want to be trying to maneuver that kind of weight around obstacles all day. You’ll get all kinds of recommendations but keep in mind you’ll probably want something on the lighter side. If you’re looking for something that will see everything and see deep,maybe a used Tesoro Vaquero...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used I'd say fisher f75. Only a DST unit

Garrett AT Pros can be had cheap.

Tesoro vaquero, or tejon.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several machines can fit your criteria. As stated above the Tesoro Vaquero would be an excellent choice if you didn't have to have a target display. A new one fits your stated budget. It is a very capable machine. Very well built and carries a lifetime warranty. But again, thats just one of many options. Good luck to you.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Minelab with FBS if you are a coin shooter. E-Trac is a great machine that can be head used for around $500.
I have seen several detectorists sell their CTX3030 and keep their E-Trac

Yes it’s not a super light machine however the FBS technology will yield you more silver.

B80D751F-FB2E-445C-96AE-632EC01AD89F.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought another Tesoro Vaquero, it was $450. Comes with a big coil and LOVES relics.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Grimm_Digger

Grimm_Digger

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should specify that I am a new digger, only went out a handful of times with my treasure master and that I am going to need to get all new equipment, i.e pin pointer, shovel, pouch, headphones etc, I would like to keep the machine to something easy to learn and maybe around $300 so that I can buy the other stuff, I'm sorry for the confusion or misdirection, as I said I am new to this.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should specify that I am a new digger, only went out a handful of times with my treasure master and that I am going to need to get all new equipment, i.e pin pointer, shovel, pouch, headphones etc, I would like to keep the machine to something easy to learn and maybe around $300 so that I can buy the other stuff, I'm sorry for the confusion or misdirection, as I said I am new to this.

I gave you a suggestion for Minelab earlier I thought you were a lil more experienced.

If you are new the hobby then the Garrett AT PRo is one of the easiest tools for you to jump into the game with it has two modes beginner and advanced. As you get more advanced with time I guarantee that you will change machines for ones that low you to make custom changes more effectively.(I.e. change th pitch of sounds , assign different tones for different targets etc.etc.)

833A19E2-E0B7-4AAB-8348-64B4BD79DD45.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Vaquero! :icon_thumleft:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave you a suggestion for Minelab earlier I thought you were a lil more experienced.

If you are new the hobby then the Garrett AT PRo is one of the easiest tools for you to jump into the game with it has two modes beginner and advanced. As you get more advanced with time I guarantee that you will change machines for ones that low you to make custom changes more effectively.(I.e. change th pitch of sounds , assign different tones for different targets etc.etc.)

View attachment 1524011

I have one I'm thinking of selling. Used at the beach for about a year until I bought the Excal 2. Now I have a CTX and the Excal so my collection is complete. I just don't know what it's worth used.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the X Terra 705 at just under $500 new is a smoking deal and a detector that will last you a long time as far as learning it I have been using one since 2008 or 2009 an it still amazes me just how under rated the 705 is in my opinion the X Terra 705 is one of the most under rated machines on the market i have never felt the need to upgrade

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grimm Digger, like in the hunting, search motion for searching for treasure, use the same principle for searching for your detector. Low and Slow. Don't get too rushed. If I could suggest, use Utube as a research tool. So many great videos on most any make or model MD made. This would give you some idea as to what type of detector you would want to consider. You have already stated that you would mostly be hunting for relics and coins. This is a start. I am mainly a relic hunter and I use the Whites MXT Pro and really like it. There are many detectors made for use of relics and coins. Take your time and do the research and you will choose the right detector best suited for you. Best of Luck to you. Welcome back to the hobby and to Treasurenet from Georgia.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread