blaineh21

Greenie
Dec 10, 2017
Duarte CA
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, im Blaine, I live near Azusa California. I really have no idea what detector to get. I want to go up on the San Gabriel east for river and look for some cold in dry rockey areas and river bed areas also. i want to also go to parks and beaches to look for random thinks. i been looking at alot of different types and these keep coming up

anything bounty hunter under $120

Garrett ACE 200 Metal Detector found some deals

can anyone give me some help it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Blaine

Upvote 0

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Ok so if you were to recoment a mid range detecor what would you suggest? im open to spendign maybe 200 if i get a good deal college life budget is not the best thing ive ever gone throuh

$200 is still entry level, just wrap your head around the fact you are just not going to get into mid level units as your first since they are still out of your price range even used.

All those pics you posted, funny...don't go near any if them because that is a sure way to frustrate your way right out if the hobby and you will if you spend any money on those.

There are some brand names you want to look for...
Tesoro
Ameritek
Teknetics
Fisher
Garrett
Bounty Hunter has some good ones but again they have several levels and the best ones are sure not going to go less than $225 and you don't know what the good ones are.

That Compadre is still a great choice but no screen.
A used Fisher F2 is a great unit.
A Eurotek Pro is another decent one, a Teknetics Delta might work.
A Fisher F22 isn't that much more than $200, it took the place if the great F2 and some dealers might come close to your price on that one if you ask them.
Keep learning, searching and reading before you buy because you need way more knowledge than you have now or your first big mistake in this hobby can be your last.

Many start cheap and eventually upgrade when ready, buy the wrong one and you won't be around for long.

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off detecting with a tecnetiks delta 4000... let’s just say I’ve put this thing through the ringer in all conditions and it still works perfectly...easy to use..finds lots of stuff (but I dig virtually everything). The identification numbers bounce around a bit but are fairly accurate..I really like it because it’s simple and durable!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It was awesome meeting up with you today. I believe you are going to love the Teknetics Eurotek Pro. It's very simple to operate. The scoop is killer! Take it to the beach with the handheld plastic one and it will blow you away with how much easier it is to dig the sand.
Best of luck my friend!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Timing is everything.
FTP is moving to a new warehouse/headquarters and they want to transfer the least amount of stock they can so this is going to be the best deal on a detector close to $200 you are going to find right now.
A Land Ranger Pro now known under a new name.
Heavily reduced while they have them and free shipping.
Feature rich, extremely capable....$219.
https://www.tekneticsdirect.com/products/metal-detectors/liberator

Last edited:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with a Garrett Freedom Ace 150 in 1984. Used it the first 2 years. Sold some of my gold rings I found with it and moved up. It was good to me for a starter. Saw one on Amazon for $150.00. Good luck.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Blaine, if that's the list the Bounty Hunter 202 is the best machine on there. Performance is where you find it, and you've been given great advice from everyone. Price is price and I can't emphasis enough that cost has nothing to do with over-all performance. This is a brand hobby for most and some will just argue their brand, "Ford Dodge or Chevy who makes the best truck?" I will tell you that price brings bells and whistles and bells and whistles make it easier to find things. "A lot easier" Most VLF machines share the same limits to performance. The best advice is to learn what ever machine you get, and try to get one with a ground grab or ground balancing feature. Finding gold nuggets really requires a machine that includes a threshold feature as well as a higher frequency of 13 or more kHz. Bounty Hunter machines have started most of us on this hobby, my first machine was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Best of luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Soda Can Finder

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2017
Halifax Va
Detector(s) used
The Lone Star Metal Detector and the Bounty Hunter Localisateur pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
try and find any water proof garret on sale and ya aught ta be set.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a used one and get a lot more for your money, the White's MXT is an awesome all around detector that has coin and jewelry mode, relic mode, and prospecting mode as well. Just test it out first and White's doesn't charge to much if ever you need repairs, there also a USA made detector not far from your state. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions