Headphones????

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been out of the loop for a while and may be posting this thread in the wrong area, but I'm wondering what's the best buck for the money in a set of headphones that's new to the market or even an old time favorites that might still be found on some of the used classified markets. Any advise would be greatly appreciated....

"D"

Upvote 0

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Deteknix wireless headphone is the way to go.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Or, if you don't want to bother with wireless (which need separate recharging, blah blah): Killer B's or Sunray golds

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheap wired headphones that are great quality also are the koss qz99's. Seen them as cheap as $20 on flea bay.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cheap wired headphones that are great quality also are the koss qz99's. Seen them as cheap as $20 on flea bay.

There's been threads on Koss headphones: Years ago, yes, they had good crisp sound quality. But in the last couple of years, they went downhill and s*ck now. I had a very old pair (15+ yrs. old) which were getting some ratty and tired (held together with black tape, etc...), that I went to replace them with the exact koss model. There was a NOTICEABLE sound difference of lesser quality. I floated that observation on a thread, and several others concurred.

The reason an exact same brand and model # can differ, is that as the years progress, a manufacturer can start using different components on the inside. Which might SEEM to have the same spec's, yet have subtle differences in quality (because they're buying from China now, or whatever).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Post-script: If you're using a beep or no beep machine , with no tooty-fluty orchestra (like the various 2-filter Tesoros, etc...) then you're right: They're plenty sufficient. But if you have a machine that heavily relies on tone nuances (like the explorer series), then you will indeed notice a lack of crispness in the recent few years of Koss.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not trying to argue but I disagree only because I have done pretty well with mine. I can also notice sound differences very easily. Sure, they won't be a set of killer B's or grey ghosts but for the money what the heck. Plus, mine are holding up very well. Only thing I don't like is they're big and bulky....and HEAVY!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......as said by William Wallace.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They aren't wireless, but I still love my Grey Ghost headphones, the most comfortable set I have ever used.

nofishmofo

Apr 22, 2015
Tahuya, Washington
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garret ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run the Grey Ghost waterproof headphones. They have awesome sound and they are so comfortable. They are not cheap but they really kick but In the nasty weather. In the summer I use wireless headphones by Garret.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome possumcop. What type of detecting do you do?

Are you around high traffic area? Then you would need over the year headphones to muffle the traffic noise.
Do you water detect? Then you need waterproof headphones

I know of several great detectorists that use ear buds from their iPhones

It is a multi faceted answer depending on your needs. I have used Killer B’s which have great sound however they were a little flimsy and the part that attaches the headphone speaker to the bracket broke because of cheap plastic. One of those achiles heel. A small little piece that makes the whole unit worthless. I now own a set of Sunray headphones and love them.

I also own an XP Deus which comes with their own awesome headphones.

In closing I suggest you go to a brick and mortar metal detecting shop And try some on for size.

The size of your head has a lot to do with a perfect fit. Some can be too big others can be to tight. If they are not fit properly you will get a tension headache and that makes for a bad day detecting.

Good luck

79430B26-4FC0-40D7-AC02-5F054F021113.jpeg

A06A48F3-99BA-441A-87B0-E46898EE2E5F.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread