Penny vs Nickel vs Dime vs Quarter...and the winner is....

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Penny of course. I must have been pretty bored last night but here's what I came up with:

I've dug 338 clad coins the past couple weeks and this is how it shakes out. Wheaties and silver not included.....

176 Pennies 52%
83 Dimes 25%
64 Quarters 19%
15 Nickels 4%

Next project is to compare my silver to clad ratio. I figure this is representative of the majority of us or is it?

Another interesting stat that I've come up with: Assuming that you dig on both knees.....everytime you raise yourself back up, it's the equivalent of "squatting" about two thirds of your own weight. In my case about 58 pounds...times that by 338 comes up to a whopping 19,604 pounds...nevermind all of the non coin targets that I dug to get 338 coins. No wonder my legs are so stout! With this in mind, I caution the diggers that raise themselves up with one leg :o

I need some sleep.

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Your weight X 2/3=58. Guess that makes you a little less than 100 lb. sopping wet unless my math is off. Guess you'd have to be skinny as a rail to fit in one. LOL Just kiddin'. HH and bendin'

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ratio looks pretty good to me, perhaps not in numbers but in ratios. I find more pennies by far than any other coin, and find an amazing # of dimes, followed closely by quarters and nickels last. I posted about that a couple weeks ago, that nickels were the hardest to find for me. The darn things sound just like a pull tab on my machine and no matter what I do I can't distinguish between the two! Having a lolw frequency hearing loss may be part of my problem as the nickel beep is the lowest of the several beep tones my machine gives off. And for some reason a dime really lights my machine up with multiple beeps of very high frequency and volume. Silver coins do the same thing and when I am hoping for silver more than likely it is a clad dime! Just my observations.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt with my club I always find more wheat pennies than any one else. Others seem to find 2 to 6 pieces of silver. I rarely get more than 3. Am I doing something wrong or am I destined to be crowned the Wheatie King. I use a Whites IDX Pro usually at the presets for gain and discrimination.

Thanks Ed

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Ed, you could look on the bright side. I think there's more rare wheaties than mercs, roosies, and washintons.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few wheaties, is there a link where I can check to see how rare they may be?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jim, I don't have a link handy but some of the dates are 1909S VDB, 1922P, 1955P double die, and I know that most of the early teens w/a D or S are worth a little more. You might try http://www.heritagecoins.com/info/typevalues.php?Demons=cent
I wouldn't judge by the prices-just used the site to show the dates. Any Red Book will do the same thing and give you bett values and rarity of other denominations as well.

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
my ratio this month is:1 sac dollar
1 kennedy half
97 quarters
181 dimes
97 nickles
331 pennies