Keep Garrett MH CX3 or move on?

TMHark

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Hudson, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let a "friend" borrow my Garrett MH CX3 to find his wife's wedding ring.
After asking for it several times, got it back with batteries corroded, etc.
Yep, should have known better.

Got the detector working, but battery contacts need constant cleaning or they grunge right back up.
Has some sentimental value (great finds - 1776 Hispania silver piece, several King George coppers etc) but maybe it's time to move on.
Garrett doesn't make coils or replacement parts any longer for this unit....

Any device out there that will outperform this old gal?
Maybe something waterproof for use scuba diving?

Not looking to spend $ unless it's a real upgrade

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be pretty easy for modern detectors to outperform that old stick. If you want a scuba rated detector (and you want to be able to discriminate) you are pretty much limited to the Minelab excalibur. If you want a wading waterproof machine, you have multiple options.

You really need to let us know what kind of hunting expect to be doing, what kind of targets you plan to hunting for, what type of terrain you plan to hunt the most and what your price limit is. This way we can give you the best options for a new detector.

Oh, Welcome to TNET!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I'd keep the Garrett, and keep it clean of corrosion as best you can. I still have my Fisher 1260X from over 30 years ago and it is quite capable.

But, you also will want a newer model, and especially if you want to get in the water. You might look at used Tesoro, Fisher, or Excal for waterproof models.

OP
OP
T

TMHark

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Hudson, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason, glad to be here!

Looking to use for coins, relics, waterproof for stream and lake edges, perhaps deep 2 box later on, and perhaps light scuba
So basically everything :laughing7:

Mostly gravelly soil in fields, some soft stuff in woods and water edges (found that silver Hispania "dime" almost a foot down in black muck on the edge of a slave hand-dug large pond)

Base cost under $1000

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your requirements, you pretty much only have a couple of options. The Garrett AT Pro or the upcoming Minelab Equinox. I think I'd wait and see how the Equinox tests out. You can clean those contacts again on your CX3 and put some automotive battery corrosion preventative on to keep it from recurring. Start with a Q-tip dipped into a baking soda solution. Use some fine sand paper if you have some bad crusty stuff. You want those contacts bright and shiny. Wipe it clean and dry. Add the preventative, or, if you don't have any, use some Vasoline. Just enough to coat the contacts. Don't get carried away with it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason, glad to be here!

Looking to use for coins, relics, waterproof for stream and lake edges, perhaps deep 2 box later on, and perhaps light scuba
So basically everything :laughing7:

Mostly gravelly soil in fields, some soft stuff in woods and water edges (found that silver Hispania "dime" almost a foot down in black muck on the edge of a slave hand-dug large pond)

Base cost under $1000

Under $1000 gives you a lot of options! Sounds like you need a good "wading water proof" VLF detector. Some of the top options I recommend (in no particular order) would be:

Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett AT-Max
Tesoro Tigershark
Fisher 1280-X
Fisher CZ-21
Minelab Equinox (soon to be released, unknown exact date)

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean the contacts and spray with corrosion guard to prevent recurrence of crud- we use it on marine electronics, even the ones that have got dunked and dried!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under $1000 gives you a lot of options! Sounds like you need a good "wading water proof" VLF detector. Some of the top options I recommend (in no particular order) would be:

Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett AT-Max
Tesoro Tigershark
Fisher 1280-X
Fisher CZ-21
Minelab Equinox (soon to be released, unknown exact date)

I forgot about the Max.....thanks for mentioning that. If he wants to hunt in salt water, the Equinox and CZ21 are the only ones I would recommend since the others only have one operating frequency. The CZ21 is about a $1300 machine though, which is above his budget. If he wants a meter, the Equinox and Garrett AT's are the only ones on your list that have one. Ones without a meter are a bit harder to use on land if you need a depth meter or I.D. numbers to determine trash/treasure/discrimination/pin point before you dig.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
For water I run the Excal II, I love it.

My hunting partner swings a Tesoro Tiger Shark, and he does just as good as I do in fresh water - it's really all about getting your coil over a target after all. It's cheaper than the Excal and has a lifetime warranty. Seems an issue with the Excal is basically "dry rot" - you've really got to pay attention to the wiring, especially at the connections. That is preventative, as I'd say every detectorist - especially those water hunting should have a bit of silicone grease on hand for "greasing" the cabling - especially (again!) to do the maintenance on your cabling. Secure the cabling, but not too extremely.

You can't just leave these machines leaning in the corner without paying attention to them. If you ignore your equipment, failure is far more likely - not really a good excuse for an upgrade. Once upon a time I wasted one heck of a lot of money "surfing" machines looking for the one sent from up above. Actually, each manufacturer offers a great machine for each purpose - the established manufacturers.

Knowing quality, then would that not point to a Tesoro with lifetime warranty? I won't switch from my Excal. But I also recognize the quality available from other manufacturers.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost any of todays detectors will out perform the CX3. Keep it for sentimental value and get one of the AT's or the Equinox.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 2012, I upgraded from the CXIII to the AT PRO. The weight difference is incredible and there is an easy learning curve. AT stands for All Terrain. It does great in dirt and in fresh water. I pulled a couple of nice gold rings out of a few lakes in New York.
Stay away from salt water and you will do just fine.

OP
OP
T

TMHark

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Hudson, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice!
Think I'll keep the ole girl (with a new battery holder or two), and keep an eye out for a wader (like the Max) or maybe even a true diver if I can come up with some $$
If you hear of a screaming deal, let me know!!
:-)

OP
OP
T

TMHark

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Hudson, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a Sand Shark for water use, it's too cold to dig (ground's frozen) or swim but tried it around the farm and can't wait to use it for real!

Will keep the old Garrets for coin hunting in dry areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread