Unbelievable found 2 more in my tossed-to -the-side bullets. Paydirt!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just learned about them, so I️ looked through my miscellaneous bullets and I found 2 more .45 Cal Confederate Whitworth Civil War Sharpshooter bullets. I️ heard they where rare any additional info would be appreciated. IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1853.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dean
I just Googled it a lot of info ....try it !
Gary

I️ am as we speak. Just found another one that was fired. IMG_0002.JPG

I think these are probably post war as the confederacy only bought 250 from England and probably only 100 actually made it here and were pressed into service. I'm honestly struggling to call these whitworth rounds as they don't have the classic six sides.
Whitworth rounds did indeed come six sided from the factory, and cylindrical as well, but the barrel was also six sided. So a fired cylindrical round would have expanded to become six sided matching the barrel. The ones I have have clear rifling grooves and have been fired..
:((

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I️ am as we speak. Just found another one that was fired. View attachment 1526592

I think these are probably post war as the confederacy only bought 250 from England and probably only 100 actually made it here and were pressed into service. I'm honestly struggling to call these whitworth rounds as they don't have the classic six sides.
Whitworth rounds did indeed come six sided from the factory, and cylindrical as well, but the barrel was also six sided. So a fired cylindrical round would have expanded to become six sided matching the barrel. The ones I have have clear rifling grooves and have been fired..
:((

Just read not all of them turn 6 sided. Ugggh who knows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions