Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Looking for advice...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    222 times
    I owned a dfx after wanting something a little better than my f70 on silver coins as the f70 is a great machine, but the lower frequency machines do a little better on finding silver. The dfx runs, if memory serves me, at 3.5 khz, and 13 khz or around that simultaneously, or individually if you choose. It is a deep detector, and has the capability to be tweaked numerous ways to suit the hunting you like. 350 is a good price for one. I love mine when i had it? Why did I get rid of it? I got the etrac which is an even better coinshooter.

If you decide to get the dfx, you won't regret it, but if you can swing a little more money, you might want to wait until minelabs new machine the equinox comes out. The newer technologies try to improve from input of users, and this machine had alot of input from users like you and me. Plus the equinox is waterproof to 10 ft.
    fuzzy535, Normsel and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    15287 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy535 View Post
    also doing some looking at the AT Pro , it seems to be sorta comparable. im liking the water proof option too. i have a couple of water holes i like to hit. multiple machines are hard to convince the wife as to why i need more than one. you know cause they are all the same. Getting multiple handguns was challenging enough with her, a process i wish not to repeat! also the AT is a bit cheaper too. so many options makes it hard to decide...thank goodness the ground is froze and time is on my side for now...
    I used The AT PRO for 2 years. They call it AT for a reason. AT = all terrain. I managed to recover and return numerous gold rings from a few lakes. The machine doesn't miss a beat in a drizzle or rain. It has an easy learning curve and a couple of options you can add, like headphones and coils.
    The machine is great in fresh water but don't try Salt Water hunting with it. I don't think you will encounter too many salt water beaches on Ohio. We have a few more months of winter for you make your decision.
    No rush.
    Good luck buddy.
    Normsel, fuzzy535 and A2coins like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    618 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great post. I have a V3i, Etrac and a ATpro. I like all three but prefer the Etrac. I will admit it's heavy but one hell of a coin shooter. The V3i will do the same but it can be very complicated to get the most out of it. I found just tweaking the standard settings work best unless you're an audio and electrical engineer. The ATpro is one heck of a value detector. Mine paid for it's self in 90 days. I will admit I learned it and learned it well. I dug countless signals others walked by but that was because I knew it's whispers.

I moved on to the V3i and Etrac thinking if I did that well with the ATpro then these detectors have to be better. Yes they are better but the argument lies in how better for the price difference. The V3i has paid for it's self and the Etrac has a few hundred to go to pay for it's self. On the other hand I think about the $3000 in clad I would have if I hadn't bought the V3i or Etrac...lol

It's all about preference and what detectors you find easy to learn or suit your detecting style. Or if your a guy that chases the latest and greatest technology and has to have the new toy on the market.

Kind of like the old Chevy vs Ford argument. I drove Chevy's for 30 years until I found a Ford I liked and been driving Fords for 20 years...lol
    fuzzy535, Loco-Digger and A2coins like this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    fairview park, ohio
    Fisher F4, whites prizm III
    211 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Lots of great input here and many things to consider. Honestly i keep hear alot about the new minlab coming out and it has peeked my interest. So im trying to research that one too. Once the new machines come out im sure prices will drop some. Im finding good deals on mxt and dfx's. Both good machines but their discontinued. Last machine i bought new was my prizm 3, which was in early 2000's. Im looking into new currant models now, and for the most part they are all comparable with some minor advantages. So i guess ill keep researching and the right one will come along. Im thinking if i get the same thing as the other guys i hunt with then what could we be missing. A different make and model may change that up, but like always if it aint there you wont find it. So it dint matter what you swing. Ugh...to many options..
    Loco-Digger and A2coins like this.
    Fuzzy was here...or wuzzy?

we're all here cause we're not all there!

Nov 2012
    222 times
    My first machine was a Garrett Treasure Ace 300, not the new Ace models but the one produced in the 90s I believe. I couldn't pinpoint with that thing so i got a couple of used metered bounty hunters and really started enjoying the hobby with those machines. I too had a whites prism 3. It was a good machine but lacked the needed bells and whistles. I quickly moved to the f70 after that, then the dfx as I found a sweet deal on one. Then the etrac, and I have found more silver with it than any other.

I found silver with the dfx, the most with any machine until I got the etrac. The lower frequency was the key as higher conductive targets like silver respond better to lower frequencies. If silver is your thing, keep this in mind when you go shopping again and look for a detector than can operate at lower frequencies. If it is multi, all the better as it will be more versatile. Not saying the high frequency machines won't find silver, the f70 I think operates at 15 khz and I found silver with it. The lower frequencies though tend to find it a little easier.
    fuzzy535 and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    15605 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by marjam View Post
    My first machine was a Garrett Treasure Ace 300, not the new Ace models but the one produced in the 90s I believe. I couldn't pinpoint with that thing so i got a couple of used metered bounty hunters and really started enjoying the hobby with those machines. I too had a whites prism 3. It was a good machine but lacked the needed bells and whistles. I quickly moved to the f70 after that, then the dfx as I found a sweet deal on one. Then the etrac, and I have found more silver with it than any other.

I found silver with the dfx, the most with any machine until I got the etrac. The lower frequency was the key as higher conductive targets like silver respond better to lower frequencies. If silver is your thing, keep this in mind when you go shopping again and look for a detector than can operate at lower frequencies. If it is multi, all the better as it will be more versatile. Not saying the high frequency machines won't find silver, the f70 I think operates at 15 khz and I found silver with it. The lower frequencies though tend to find it a little easier.
    Good post, the F70 runs at 13 khz.
    A2coins likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links