Help me decide which one ??????????????????

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had detectors before awhile back (10-12 years ago) and am looking to get another new one soon as I am trying to figure out which one. I am looking at the Garrett AT PRO and the AT GOLD Fisher F75+ coming out soon. Was also looking at the Minelab X-Terra 705. I really like the specs on both of them. I want a detector that has NOTCH and really not interested in Boost mode do not know if I would ever use it possible maybe? I know Garrett & Fisher both make good products. Both have good programs and pretty easy to understand and use. I want a detector that can be used also for prospecting sometimes but not always this is not a must have. All feedback greatly appreciated Thanks

Bill

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was using the G2/GB and to put out a G2+ so soon after G2 release just proves my point.
The two tone Vbreak and Vco on the G2+ Are just bells and whistles have nothing to do with performance.
Dave Johnson used to post here for many years as "Woof" and we shared many Private Emails on here stating just what i said.
His computer had software problems when the software was changed here and stooped posting here
He`s on another MD Forum we are both on posting in his own name ask him.
I have followed Dave Johnson from company to company like a Groupie does a rock star he`s a brilliant man and had a hand in many very good machines i used for more than 20 years the G2 not one of them.
You never finished your Dave statement what is it ?
As for touring the factory you told them you liked their product and they smiled ...just being polite and nice.
I have been to that factory 5 times and long ago the Fisher 3 times and Whites,and Tesoro like it matters .

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the G2/GB and to put out a G2+ so soon after G2 release just proves my point.
The two tone Vbreak and Vco on the G2+ Are just bells and whistles have nothing to do with performance.
Dave Johnson used to post here for many years as "Woof" and we shared many Private Emails on here stating just what i said.
His computer had software problems when the software was changed here and stooped posting here
He`s on another MD Forum we are both on posting in his own name ask him.
I have followed Dave Johnson from company to company like a Groupie does a rock star he`s a brilliant man and had a hand in many very good machines i used for more than 20 years the G2 not one of them.
You never finished your Dave statement what is it ?
As for touring the factory you told them you liked their product and they smiled ...just being polite and nice.
I have been to that factory 5 times and long ago the Fisher 3 times and Whites,and Tesoro like it matters .

I'm not sure what half of that has to do with the topic at hand GAP. I thought we were talking G2+ and F75 being capable in other areas?

Hell...I toured the factory when First Texas decided to sponsor my YouTube channel and bring me on as a prototype tester. It was a personal invite...not some fanboy crush thing that you have. It was business. You don't have to sell me on Dave (or the company). I work with the testing/sales/marketing team on a regular basis. Often daily. :icon_thumleft:

Back on topic...the G2+ and G2 differences.

The G2+ has those added "bells and whistles" BECAUSE the G2 (Gold Bug Pro) was doing so well as a relic hunter. They didn't add VBreak - 2 tones - Notching for gold prospecting purposes which is done in AM mode. Which is why the F19 and G2+ are marketed as relic and coin machines on the boxes they come in. They are not performance enhancing features - but they 100% make a relic hunters and coin shooters life much easier compared to the G2 without them.

They kept the Gold Bug Pro as it is for a reason...for the gold prospecting market. They added the G2+ and F19 for a reason...everybody else.

Anyways...this is getting off topic. Happy Hunting and best of luck to the topic starter with whatever detector you choose. :occasion14:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Texas does make some hellish machines for gold and deep silver even when you consider their sort of mid range operating frequency and single frequency operation. I've seen machines like the etrac, Deus and even my own V3i walk right over 2.2 grams of gold that was singing on a T2 and gold bug even at 7". Multi or high frequency isn't always what matters. It's all about how they are tuned. When it comes to the best of both worlds, First Texas machines have it, and often leave guys like me scratching my head. They are sensitive enough to pick up tiny bits of gold and meteorite, but can also pull silver coins out past 10"-12". Biggest mistake I made was selling off all my FT machines for multifrequency and FBS machines...and I even kinda knew better. It's a mistake I'll be correcting this season. The Equinox does also seem appealing, but it really seems like just an expanded version of something we already have...the V3i. If I were you I'd grab up that T2+ or F75+ deal for now. You won't regret it. I'm an arsenal Hunter myself. I believe in understanding all the universal principles of metal detecting and assembling an arsenal of machines for different hunting purposes. And don't believe the hype from Minelab. The Equinox will not obsolete all single frequency VLF. Won't happen. A machine tuned for a specific frequency and hunting application will always be best for that application. In mild soil especially it hardly matters how many frequencies you have. In any case, FT may not be the most advanced company on the block (that you've seen yet, I stress YET) when it comes to all those frequencies and color screens etc, but they have their own genius, and that is how they can make machines so light, fast, energy efficient, and powerful on half the voltage other guys are running.

Last edited:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also add that I find the added features on the G2+ very valuable. Notch width and v-break are probably some of the best tools we have available to distinguish one metal from another or a nickel from a pull tab at depth. I found it very helpful on the Land Ranger Pro. Miss that feature most of all.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I want a detector that can be used also for prospecting sometimes ....

Be aware that any detector which touts ability to do both coins/relics AND nuggets (ie.: a cross-over machine), will excell in neither arena. There will be better nugget machines and there will be better coin machines. Because the objective of each venue is nearly diametrically opposed. A coin/relic guy DOESN'T want to hear every staple, birdshot, fleck, BB, etc... While the nugget guy DOES want the bells of notre dame to ring on that stuff.

So any machine that .... with the flips of a few controls ... is supposed to go back and forth, will have compromises. When compared to a machine built fromt he ground-up for just one purpose.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Nokta Impact.

Many modes and audio settings, and can change between 5kHz, 14kHz, and 20kHz with the press of a button.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Astro Nut
IMO the F-75+ is your best choice,but if you got to have a Minelab 705 ,i`d wait till the new Minelab 600 or 800 are out and tested over a couple months.
I`v been doing this for 49 years and have seen a lot of hype in print and on the net about EVERY new machines coming out some love them some hate them, but most love the 75.
Be very careful of the newbies giving advice on here !
Gary

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think GT may have already bought a bridge.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is a great detector. Mine paid for it's self in 90 days and probably found over 2k in clad with it. If you listen closely it will tell you even vary faint signals.. I have found clad at 12" that I only dug to see if there was something really there.

I am going to give my V3i to my grandson and keep my E-trac and ATP and then buy and Equinox

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to give my V3i to my grandson and keep my E-trac and ATP and then buy and Equinox[/QUOTE]

Your grandson will be a lucky kid. The V3i is an amazing machine that unfortunately many people were intimidated by. I geek out on the technical side of this hobby and so the V3i was a perfect fit for me. To me there are certain machines that should be in every arsenal and it is one of them. It's basically a build your own machine kit. We may never see this much access to internal functions again.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK GT, and hey, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm looking to sell cheap! :thumbsup:

Thanks, but I think I will wait for the Brooklyn bridge + ( with the *free pinpointer )

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions