Help me decide which one ??????????????????

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had detectors before awhile back (10-12 years ago) and am looking to get another new one soon as I am trying to figure out which one. I am looking at the Garrett AT PRO and the AT GOLD Fisher F75+ coming out soon. Was also looking at the Minelab X-Terra 705. I really like the specs on both of them. I want a detector that has NOTCH and really not interested in Boost mode do not know if I would ever use it possible maybe? I know Garrett & Fisher both make good products. Both have good programs and pretty easy to understand and use. I want a detector that can be used also for prospecting sometimes but not always this is not a must have. All feedback greatly appreciated Thanks

Bill

Upvote 0

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in a very similar situation. I think I have almost made up my mind. With that said I'd recommend checking out the G2+ by Teknetics. It looks like a great all around machine that can be used relic/coin as well as prospecting which is exactly what I am looking for. And, in case you didn't already know, Teknetics is made by the same company that makes Fisher - First Texas. Good luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait for the Minelab Equinox 800 if you want a combo Gold Nugget, Coinshooter. AT Gold is a nugget hunter period (and not a good one), AT Pro is a coinshooter period. Minelab XTerra 705 needs Different coils to change the operating frequencies for nuggets, and coins. Fisher F75, operating at 13kHz, is too low for gold nuggets, and too high for deep silver coins. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! :skullflag:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait for the Minelab Equinox 800 if you want a combo Gold Nugget, Coinshooter. AT Gold is a nugget hunter period (and not a good one), AT Pro is a coinshooter period. Minelab XTerra 705 needs Different coils to change the operating frequencies for nuggets, and coins. Fisher F75, operating at 13kHz, is too low for gold nuggets, and too high for deep silver coins. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! :skullflag:
All this knowledge is burning my brain AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH Im melting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in a very similar situation. I think I have almost made up my mind. With that said I'd recommend checking out the G2+ by Teknetics. It looks like a great all around machine that can be used relic/coin as well as prospecting which is exactly what I am looking for. And, in case you didn't already know, Teknetics is made by the same company that makes Fisher - First Texas. Good luck!

Operating at 19kHz, the G2 is NOT an "all around" machine. It is going to be a great nuggetshooter, a so-so relic hunter, and a crappy coinshooter. :skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had detectors before awhile back (10-12 years ago) and am looking to get another new one soon as I am trying to figure out which one. I am looking at the Garrett AT PRO and the AT GOLD Fisher F75+ coming out soon. Was also looking at the Minelab X-Terra 705. I really like the specs on both of them. I want a detector that has NOTCH and really not interested in Boost mode do not know if I would ever use it possible maybe? I know Garrett & Fisher both make good products. Both have good programs and pretty easy to understand and use. I want a detector that can be used also for prospecting sometimes but not always this is not a must have. All feedback greatly appreciated Thanks

Bill

What and where are you hunting?

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Operating at 19kHz, the G2 is NOT an "all around" machine. It is going to be a great nuggetshooter, a so-so relic hunter, and a crappy coinshooter. :skullflag:

I appreciate your opinion but it is just that...an opinion.I know many other seasoned detectorists who would say and have shown otherwise.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've done real well with my at gold coinshootin'. Also, didn't the at gold make a top ten review on new gold machines? Can't go relic hunting with the at pro?

bmcopeland

Feb 19, 2017
Madison Indiana
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more i use and understand my at max it is turning into a real dependable and treasure finding machine.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry hit the nail on the head. It sounds like the Equinox would be right for what you are asking. IMHO of course.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The F75 can hit a silver dime at 9-10 inches in most soils (without boost)...and hit a bird-shot sized picker no problem. I don't personally care for the AT Pro or Max (terrible audio)...but to call them coin shooters "only" is a stretch. They have found some amazing relics over the years.

The G2+ (F19) is actually a very good relic hunter and does fantastic in iron heavy sites. They are fairly popular in Europe and have gained WAY more popularity as a relic hunter than a gold prospecting detector...even though that is what it was bred from (Gold Bug Pro). As a coin shooter it will lock ID better than most detectors not named Minelab. It's good to 7-8 inches on a dime in many soils...and will keep the ID to the very edge of that detection depth...something many detectors labeled as "coin-shooters" cannot do.

You should absolutely do your homework...but use more than one source for your material before you turn it in. :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F75 can hit a silver dime at 9-10 inches in most soils (without boost)...and hit a bird-shot sized picker no problem..

OK GT, and hey, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm looking to sell cheap! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1200px-Brooklyn_Bridge_Postdlf.jpg
    1200px-Brooklyn_Bridge_Postdlf.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 77

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug plenty of copper pennies at 9 to 9.5 inches without using boost. I think a dime will ring it at 8 to 8.5 without boost. Quarters can be hit at 10 inches without boost. I did get a capped bust half dime at 8 inches in NY last spring using the stock coil.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a G2 i did not like, it did run Quit two processors , mine lacked depth i used it one season maybe 1000 hours on it and had the worst season in 40 years.
The G2 running a 19kHz picked up every tiny piece of tin roofing around old home / cabin sites drove me nuts i had to get my first pin pointer cuz it loves the tiny specks relics are not tiny nothing very deep its a POS IMO... and i love the Teknetics brand used them since 1991.
I don`t like the higher freq. 19kHz so i sold it and started to use my org. F-75 and my org. T2 both good machines the G2 stinks.my old hunting partner hated it too, never heard anyone call the G2 a deep machine...and not as good in the iron as an Omega or T2, F-75 or a Fisher CZ-6a/ Tesoro Toltec II.
I`m sure it did not set well with Dave Johnson that the Adv. team wanted to "call" it an all around machine and putting a + in the title don`t make that dog hunt any better...just confuses.
We both come from BFO and TR analog machines so we know what we are doing but some time i wounder about me... Cuz i bought a Nokta Relic it ran at 19 kHz again no depth and loved tiny flakes of tin drove me crazy...And Does not Unmask out of this world.
I have a T2 LTD love it and a Deus now and i hate to run the Deus 18 kHz .
I would not recommend the G2 to any relic hunter,though i`m sure it must be a good gold machine.
The T2, Omega F-75 wipe the floor with the G2 in the iron or coins !
Gary

Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The AT Pro is a coinshooter period???? Really? I have found an immense amount of relics with my AT Pro. Everything from Roman, 1700s, Civil War era, WWI and WWII relics. This includes everything from musket/pistol balls, buttons, UXO's, rifles, magazines, ammunition, hat pins, shoe buckles, rings and other various types of jewelry, religious medallions......the list goes on and on. And yes the AT Pro does find coins too. Don't get me wrong, the AT Pro may not be the best detector out there but it is definitely an amazing work horse which does not disappoint. It will always remain in my arsenal.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK GT, and hey, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm looking to sell cheap! :thumbsup:

I'll make sure your toll is cheap when you cross! :tongue3:

To the OP or others interested...just YouTube scannerguy1968 and F75...he hits a grain sized piece of gold in disc (not AM). If Loco-Digger says he can hit a 8-9 dime with his...bank on it. Terry needs to stick to bridge sales. :icon_thumright:

I had a G2 i did not like it did run Quit two processors , mine lacked depth i used it one season maybe 1000 hours on it and had the worst season in 40 years.
The G2 running a 19Khz picked up every tiny piece of tin roofing around old home / cabin sites drove me nuts i had to get my first pin pointer cuz it loves the tiny specks relics are not tiny nothing very deep its a pos IMO
I don`t like the higher freq. 19Khz so i sold it and started to use my F-75 and T2 both good machines the G2 stinks.my old hunting partner hated it too, never heard anyone call the G2 a deep machine...and is no better in the iron than a Omega or T2, F-75.
We both come from BfO and TR analog machines so we know what we are doing but some time in wounder Cuz i bought a Nokta Relic it ran at 19 Khz again no depth and loved tiny flakes of tin drove me crazy.
I have a Deus now and i hate to run it 18 Khz .
I would not recommend the G2 to any relic hunter,though i`m sure it`s a good gold machine.
The T2,Omega F-75 wipe the floor with the G2 !
Gary

T2 and F75 are of course deeper than a G2...that's a no brainer.

However...the G2+ adds notching...Vbreak...two-tone audio. Relic guys have been VERY successful with them. Crossed sabers...eagle button...CW bullets. They are fantastic relic machines down to the 7-8 inch level and absolutely kill it in iron.

Guys in UK have been raving about them for quite a while now. F19 is the same machine as a G2+...and it is well known as a civil war bullet magnet.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Relic guy have been VERY successful with all kinds of machines,but most prefer other machines than the G2.
The guys in the UK rave about the Deus and the T2 a lot more that the G2 like it matters.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic guy have been VERY successful with all kinds of machines,but most prefer other machines than the G2.
The guys in the UK rave about the Deus and the T2 a lot more that the G2 like it matters.

I don't disagree with that at all. But that's a moot point since I'm not the one calling it a POS or a "so-so" relic machine. :thumbsup:

You were using the G2 and not the G2+. The G2+ has the added options of 2-tones and Vbreak I mentioned above...that does indeed make it much better as a relic hunter compared to the single VCO tone the G2 assigns to every signal.

As far as your claim that Dave does not like it being called an "all around machine"...

When my wife and I met Dave at the factory tour a year back...he and Jorge Saad were very impressed with my wife who uses a F19 (same as G2+). Her eagle button and multiple Mexican Wars bullets from the 1840's had him grinning ear to ear. Many of which my T2 Classic could barely hit when we compared signals. It absolutely loves mid-conductors being a high freq "gold machine". It does not take rocket science to realize what it does with larger mid-conductors like bullets and buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread