How many traveling MD'ers are out there??

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am retired and travel full time. I detect every chance I get. Trying to locate places to hunt in new areas all the time can be very challenging and rewarding. I have had the opportunity to visit with and hunt with local MD'ers all over the country. I have met some great people this way.
In was just wondering if there are others on this forum in the same boat?? It would be interesting to communicate with other travellers.

Anyone else travel full or long time??

Upvote 0

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I am a traveling MD'erist, but business travel. Found that it makes sense to pack the detector for trips to the East Coast locations or beach locations. Other areas take too much time with research to pay off. Good luck!

What types of places are you wanting to research? I know tens of thousands of ghost towns, besides school grounds, parks, and fairgrounds. Want past populations of any city? I have that info.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What types of places are you wanting to research? I know tens of thousands of ghost towns, besides school grounds, parks, and fairgrounds. Want past populations of any city? I have that info.

Thx! I'll send you a PM

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m sorry to hear that you are homeless and unemployed. Drifting from town to town looking for coins must be tough on you and the wife. I recognize that obsession with old coins, as a symptom of mental illness. I’ve been conducting a study for a few years now, and I have good data on this issue, l know what I’m talking about.

Please seek help and end this vicious cycle.

OP
OP
azdirtdigger

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sorry to hear that you are homeless and unemployed. Drifting from town to town looking for coins must be tough on you and the wife. I recognize that obsession with old coins, as a symptom of mental illness. I’ve been conducting a study for a few years now, and I have good data on this issue, l know what I’m talking about.

Please seek help and end this vicious cycle.
I hear the first step in beating an addiction is to admit you have a problem. Well, I refuse to participate.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you’re living my dream!! Hopefully someday I can do the same. Good luck on your travels and digging my friend. God Bless y’all!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lived out of a van in the goldfields in Aus back in the 90s for 6 months....new SD2000 cost more than the van,food,petrol etc....no joke. We were kids..so far too much drinking . Long time and a lot of money.No gold...If only I had the opportunity now... Spent alot of time in central and west Africa last year for work -theres alot of opportunity (gold) but conditions are hectic. Worked at lake lugano on the swiss /italy border ...would have given my left nut for a CZ21 , sea hunter etc... Backpacked for nearly a year through Asia and Europe. Just thinking now about the costa del sol . I lived on virtually nothing in the off season -everything was cheap. Strange beach though ,it was all rocks /pebbles.
Apologies Im not quite on topic...I guess Im taking it to the next level INTERNATIONAL wandering detectorist. Would make a great series actually.

Chub

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travel all the time, mostly international travel, lived in Guatemala for three years, less than a year in Honduras, and now living in Panama. Travel with the minelab Excalibur and the Go Find 60.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I win my millions on the lottery I plan on buying a huge RV and hiring a beautiful female chauffeur, who has a liking for me. Maybe swap out the chauffeur every now and then. I will be the only millionaire out digging pennies on a daily basis. Travelling around, hunting with my Tnet friends from coast to coast.

View attachment 1534161 View attachment 1534162

View attachment 1534163 View attachment 1534165

All show and tell. It needs some camo. My pop up trailer is true comfort and style. LOL I WISH

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I'm not able to travel full time, I don't even get paid vacation. LOL (actually not funny) I do travel to all my surrounding states checking out different Civ camps and beaches. I have metal detected in about 5-6 different states. I'm glad you and the Mrs. have been blessed to live your dream. GL & HH

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is very well known and with local traditions here in Florida to wear your heavy and expensive jewelry to the beach and especially in the water to show respect to local customs. Please spread the gospel that ya have to wear gold and diamonds to the beach in Florida or else you will feel very, very awkward and you'll also stand out like a fart in water (local saying).

OP
OP
azdirtdigger

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately I'm not able to travel full time, I don't even get paid vacation. LOL (actually not funny) I do travel to all my surrounding states checking out different Civ camps and beaches. I have metal detected in about 5-6 different states. I'm glad you and the Mrs. have been blessed to live your dream. GL & HH
They never paid me to vacation anywhere either:laughing9:.

It's not all sunshine and light. There are a lot of trade offs to living full time in about 300 sq. ft. and only having what you can haul with you. We like it and have found we have a lot more control over our expenses than when we lived in our stix and bricks.

Detecting in 5-6 different states, sounds like you are doing pretty good also. Hope you get to travel more if that is your desire,

HH

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
My wife and I have a Class C Motorhome and I am what they call a "workamper". Mar-Nov I camp in the Cape May, NJ area and work at the campground. I get paid for working and a campsite for the season. On my time off I go surf fishing and metal detecting at the shore. Some winters we will go to Florida or just go to our home in PA where I metal detect as well.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I win my millions on the lottery I plan on buying a huge RV and hiring a beautiful female chauffeur, who has a liking for me. Maybe swap out the chauffeur every now and then. I will be the only millionaire out digging pennies on a daily basis. Travelling around, hunting with my Tnet friends from coast to coast.

View attachment 1534161 View attachment 1534162

View attachment 1534163 View attachment 1534165

I would hire her for my chauffeur. jan_morgan.jpg

OP
OP
azdirtdigger

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I have a Class C Motorhome and I am what they call a "workamper". Mar-Nov I camp in the Cape May, NJ area and work at the campground. I get paid for working and a campsite for the season. On my time off I go surf fishing and metal detecting at the shore. Some winters we will go to Florida or just go to our home in PA where I metal detect as well.

We have volunteered at a lighthouse, fish hatchery, state parks, wild life refuge, and the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. This coming year we will be at a state park on the ocean in the gulf, at a federal fish hatchery in Kentucky and at a state park on Lake of the Ozarks. So many great volunteer opportunities, so little time!

We have stayed away from paid gigs to avoid multiple state tax filings. The ability to park (no diesel to buy for the MH) for free for a couple months in interesting areas really helps stretch the budget. I have found this lifestyle gives you much more control of you budget, and lots of new places to hunt!

OP
OP
azdirtdigger

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm surprised by the lack of full time travelers there are on this site. MD'ing seems to be a perfect fit for this lifestyle. I was hoping to get a group together to share info. Oh well, more for me!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've given it some thought...more so, now that I'm retired. I know it was quite common back in the 70's. I'd see elderly couples everywhere...and a MH or Camper nearby.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread! I'm not a traveler, per se, however, I switch up countries every few years due to my job. I've detected now in the USA, a few Latin American countries and now in a European country. I love to research the history of whatever country I'm residing and then hooking up with local detectors. Great fun and adventure.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am retired and travel full time. I detect every chance I get. Trying to locate places to hunt in new areas all the time can be very challenging and rewarding. I have had the opportunity to visit with and hunt with local MD'ers all over the country. I have met some great people this way.
In was just wondering if there are others on this forum in the same boat?? It would be interesting to communicate with other travellers.

Anyone else travel full or long time??

I did so on the job for 30yrs in ten different states. Always packed a Garrett GTA 1000. Detected every chance I had, a lot in AZ as well. For me I like having a "Home Base" now, still, you're living a nice life style in a nice way. The best of luck for future finds.

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
I am lucky NJ has a reciprocal agreement with PA so I don't have to pay taxes in both states. I think if you are a full timer and travel around the west cost or up and down mountains you need the diesel otherwise gas would be ok. Of course if you are pulling one of those trailers with your car in it you will need a diesel.
My goal is in three years to buy a Class A then hit the road. The problem with most class A's I don't like the floor plans. I only found two or three I like. I wish they could take a fifth wheel and turn it into a class A then they would have something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread