Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: How many traveling MDers are out there??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1061 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It is very well known and with local traditions here in Florida to wear your heavy and expensive jewelry to the beach and especially in the water to show respect to local customs. Please spread the gospel that ya have to wear gold and diamonds to the beach in Florida or else you will feel very, very awkward and you'll also stand out like a fart in water (local saying).
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    Feb 2012
    AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautiful country. Metal detecting and fishing!
    CTX 3030, E-trac, Excal II
    302 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dfallis1 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not able to travel full time, I don't even get paid vacation. LOL (actually not funny) I do travel to all my surrounding states checking out different Civ camps and beaches. I have metal detected in about 5-6 different states. I'm glad you and the Mrs. have been blessed to live your dream. GL & HH
    They never paid me to vacation anywhere either.

It's not all sunshine and light. There are a lot of trade offs to living full time in about 300 sq. ft. and only having what you can haul with you. We like it and have found we have a lot more control over our expenses than when we lived in our stix and bricks.

Detecting in 5-6 different states, sounds like you are doing pretty good also. Hope you get to travel more if that is your desire,

HH
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
    67 times
    My wife and I have a Class C Motorhome and I am what they call a "workamper". Mar-Nov I camp in the Cape May, NJ area and work at the campground. I get paid for working and a campsite for the season. On my time off I go surf fishing and metal detecting at the shore. Some winters we will go to Florida or just go to our home in PA where I metal detect as well.
    Loco-Digger and chub like this.

us
    Sep 2016
    Southern Arizona
    Minelab Equinox 800,Whites GMT
    69 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    As soon as I win my millions on the lottery I plan on buying a huge RV and hiring a beautiful female chauffeur, who has a liking for me. Maybe swap out the chauffeur every now and then. I will be the only millionaire out digging pennies on a daily basis. Travelling around, hunting with my Tnet friends from coast to coast.

Attachment 1534161Attachment 1534162

Attachment 1534163Attachment 1534165
    I would hire her for my chauffeur. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan_morgan.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1535000

us
    Feb 2012
    AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautiful country. Metal detecting and fishing!
    302 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cyperpc View Post
    My wife and I have a Class C Motorhome and I am what they call a "workamper". Mar-Nov I camp in the Cape May, NJ area and work at the campground. I get paid for working and a campsite for the season. On my time off I go surf fishing and metal detecting at the shore. Some winters we will go to Florida or just go to our home in PA where I metal detect as well.
    We have volunteered at a lighthouse, fish hatchery, state parks, wild life refuge, and the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. This coming year we will be at a state park on the ocean in the gulf, at a federal fish hatchery in Kentucky and at a state park on Lake of the Ozarks. So many great volunteer opportunities, so little time!

We have stayed away from paid gigs to avoid multiple state tax filings. The ability to park (no diesel to buy for the MH) for free for a couple months in interesting areas really helps stretch the budget. I have found this lifestyle gives you much more control of you budget, and lots of new places to hunt!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    302 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm surprised by the lack of full time travelers there are on this site. MD'ing seems to be a perfect fit for this lifestyle. I was hoping to get a group together to share info. Oh well, more for me!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    812 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've given it some thought...more so, now that I'm retired. I know it was quite common back in the 70's. I'd see elderly couples everywhere...and a MH or Camper nearby.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Apr 2011
    El Dorado
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    369 times
    Great thread! I'm not a traveler, per se, however, I switch up countries every few years due to my job. I've detected now in the USA, a few Latin American countries and now in a European country. I love to research the history of whatever country I'm residing and then hooking up with local detectors. Great fun and adventure.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1739 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdirtdigger View Post
    I am retired and travel full time. I detect every chance I get. Trying to locate places to hunt in new areas all the time can be very challenging and rewarding. I have had the opportunity to visit with and hunt with local MD'ers all over the country. I have met some great people this way.
    In was just wondering if there are others on this forum in the same boat?? It would be interesting to communicate with other travellers.

Anyone else travel full or long time??
    I did so on the job for 30yrs in ten different states. Always packed a Garrett GTA 1000. Detected every chance I had, a lot in AZ as well. For me I like having a "Home Base" now, still, you're living a nice life style in a nice way. The best of luck for future finds.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
    67 times
    I am lucky NJ has a reciprocal agreement with PA so I don't have to pay taxes in both states. I think if you are a full timer and travel around the west cost or up and down mountains you need the diesel otherwise gas would be ok. Of course if you are pulling one of those trailers with your car in it you will need a diesel.
    My goal is in three years to buy a Class A then hit the road. The problem with most class A's I don't like the floor plans. I only found two or three I like. I wish they could take a fifth wheel and turn it into a class A then they would have something.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    I dig deep holes

May 2004
    Camano Island, WA
    CTX3030, Many more on a rotating basis. Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
    1155 times
    I go to South Florida a few times a year on business.

I got a Pelican case for my CTX so I can hit the beach a time or two while I am there.
    Loco-Digger and sprailroad like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    620 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I live in MS but was in 26 states last summer didn't have time to detect in most of them but did my share, I put on about 15k miles per year traveling and hunt when I can
    Loco-Digger likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links