West Texas road trip

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my brother coming from the frigid north for a week long road trip around West Texas. Plan on some arrowhead hunts but I wanted to do some MD around some west Texas ghost towns or other interesting places. From Houston, I plan on heading west from the Gault Site, near Florence toward Presidio, then north toward Palo Duro, then back toward Big H. Covering a lot of ground and I've gone over Ghost town lists, but hearing from someone in the know is always better than blind intuition.
Anybody got advice on locations?
Appreciate any help.

Upvote 0

fmurphy

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
White's MX SPORT / White's TRX Pointer / SaskHunters Kustom Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm near Amarillo... ground around here is so dry and hard it's difficult to get good signals at depth. Just be carefull around Palo Duro if you have detector..it's illegal to detect on the state property..... and the rangers there don't have a sense of humor. But please do come this way and visit the "other" Texas..
Let me know when you come this way... maybe we can meet on the road somewhere and dig a hole or two..

frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you,
I would stow any MD or arrowhead stuff when we hit the national or state parks. Lost a detector on Padre' about 45 years ago by not paying attention to signs and laws.
Besides there are too many places you can hunt without bother.
Wanted to see Adobe Walls too, that will probably be the north turn around point for us.
Appreciate the advise.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been cross country on the bike numerous times. Always wanted to metal detect old rt 66 in the Texas panhandle. Hope you and your brother score big. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread