Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went detecting to take advantage of the last remnants of the super moon low tide. Went to my usual low tide beach and again searched the area that yielded 4 gold rings the week before. Unlike past 2 trips, this one failed to uncover gold. Still had a wonderful 5 hr workout. In addition to the usual change, junk jewelry (ring, ear ring, pin) and fishing weights; found a Men's Tungsten wedding band (17g, 12:32 on CTX 3030) and Men's Stainless Steel band (6.58g, 12:06-07). [Another S Steel ring found earlier was 7.38g, 12:08.] Oh, and also found a 50 Cal. shell that is 4" long.

Tungsten and S Steel rings.jpg

However, the day was about to get better, once I got home and cleaned everything. I was pleasantly surprised when a heavily encrusted junk ring turned-out to be .925 silver! The ring shows a grape and leaf pattern, that could not be identified before decrustation (new word I just made-up; you heard it...errr...you read it here first). The metal is heavily pitted - a sign of very long salt water immersion.

Grape and leaf silver ring.jpg

When heavily encrusted silver dries-out, the encrustation can sometimes simply fall off. Such was the case with the junk ring. It really looked like the usual junk ring made out of some degradable metal which disintegrates in salt water, much like zinc cents. None of the features were identifiable. Once the ring dried-out, however, the encrustation started to drop off when handled; a good sign of potential silver underneath. Light tapping with a hard object (50 cal shell) removed the remaining encrustation. Sure enough, once I removed the encrustation, it revealed "WA" initials and 3 small unrecognizable letters/numbers inside the band, I suspect 925. I confirmed the silver content in a novel way; by scanning the ring (3.67g) with my CTX 3030 and it came out as 13:45 - the same as a clearly marked sterling ring I found last year.

This isn't the first time I've been surprised by an MD find once I got home. Due to such experiences, I almost dissect every piece of jewelry I find MDing; soak it in clean water (x2), scrub lightly with a toothbrush and soap, and use a 10x loop to inspect for any markings. Sometimes, I'm pleasantly surprised and delighted. Well, gotta get back to the ring and continue the cleaning process. And with a smile on my face I say good hunting.

Upvote 0

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice beach finds, I have been searching for a button to post a new thread to the Jewelry page, but as yet haven’t found one, I wanted to ask someone if they could help me figure out what this marking means on a Jewelry piece I found, I found it about 8 inches deep. I don’t know what it is made of , just wondering if you ever seen this mark on Jewelry before? CA3E406A-E7AD-43F4-83C2-22214A1077CE.jpeg 30AEB4F4-4312-4EEC-8BC6-3062B482D399.jpeg

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Sterling Ring. When silver is immersed in salt water for a number of years, it will tarnish, turn black, and become encrusted. I have put these rings in baking soda and wrapped them in aluminium foil. Then i totally immerse them in water in a microwavable cup or bowl and zap them for 30 seconds. Repeat as necessary. Good luck and don't burn down the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread