D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandson was visiting me from St Louis and wanted to go metal detecting with me. He asked if I knew of any tot lots and I told him I knew if one that was always good for a cpl of bucks in clad. We hunted on the fringes of the park because little kids and parents were using the slides etc in the play ground area. We found a few coins and in about an hour the play ground area didn't have anyone in it so we moved over there.

We really didn't pay any attention to anyone in the park and more often than not people approach and ask if we ever find anything. I had guy approached me and I thought he was going to ask if I ever find anything. Instead he asked what an old man was doing in the park. I told him we were metal detecting. He then said you have no business detecting in a park besides what do you find maybe a quarter. I said it's a hobby and I have found rings in parks and actually returned one to the owner. I also said it's a public park and we are not breaking any laws. He said you're creeping the kids out. I said what do you mean. We haven't spoke to a child or even looked in the direction of a child. He said my daughter and her friend come home and said a creepy old man was in the park. He said it's just my perspective that you're here for more than metal detecting. I said well we do this all the time and he replies it's my perspective.

Just before he approached me I seen him by the fence talking to two young girls about 10 - 12 years of age and I actually thought that was weird that a guy would be talking to young girls but I minded my own business and kept metal detecting.

He then says to me as he was walking away you two shouldn't be here. I kept my cool all along and never raised my voice nor did I try and defend myself other than saying I was in a public park and I was doing nothing illegal.

When it all sunk in after I got home I was bothered about it. I have never been questioned by anyone why I was metal detecting anywhere. Over the years people always approach me and ask if I find anything and want to watch so I usually throw a coin on the ground and let the see and hear the detector. Most love it.

More often than not I have little kids following me in parks to see what I find. In most cases their parents are near by and the parents are saying don't bother the man.

Now I ask myself is this a sign of the times or just some parent with freaked out kids.

Upvote 0

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like you,I haven't detected in a long time.I'll give you an idea how long.My detector at the time was a Compass Relic Magnum 7.
I recently was given a cheap detector for my birthday and it was ok.But I was given another last X-Mas.A Garrett ACE 400.
Sweet.But getting to your post.I just came back from a local old school ground.Some kids came by and watched me for awhile.
They asked a few questions on my finds etc. and moved on.I never dreamed of the problem you had.Well.Thanks
for posting that.I'll have to be aware of that possibility and be prepared to confront it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s my opinion he wasn’t acting normal. The things he said are off balance and out of line. I think he may have been the true creep.
Stay alert and good luck out there.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should have turned the table and asked him his name, how old he is and , if he has a boyfriend. :laughing7:

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
don't let it get to u mate ,,,,, where am at pedophiles are the normal and my guard up all the time (i have a young daughter ) maybe that guy was either a mother bear (and not using his brain ) or that park was his hunting grounds for children ...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have turned the table and asked him his name, how old he is and , if he has a boyfriend. :laughing7:
Everyone seems to forget they have a camera these days! Confrontations like these cause me to start snapping! A couple times I've followed people to get a picture of the tag on their car. When one guy asked me what I thought I was doing, I told him I was photo documenting just in case someone needs a description. The guy was obliviously P O ed but left the area quickly. If your gut tells you something's wrong with a situation 99.999% of the time it's right! Listen to it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread