Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: What benefits do you get with an expensive detector?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    184 times
    I started out with a entry level bounty hunter with a meter. Then moved to a whites prism 3. Then fisher f70, whites dfx, and now the etrac. The more I moved up in price on my detector, the more desirable targets I started finding. I found good things with all of them, but I started finding good things on a regular basis when I got the higher end machines, especially the dfx and etrac.

The features on the more expensive machines make it easier to identify desirable targets from my experience. Everyone of the detectors I have had would go beep over silver, gold, etc., but its the additional information the higher end detectors give you that really makes it easier to identify good targets in the ground. Like a poster said about the deus, it is expensive, but if you hunt alot and really enjoy it, the cost shouldn't be an issue if you can afford a higher end detector.
    beerguy and Normsel like this.

us
    Feb 2012
    AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautiful country.
    CTX 3030, E-trac, Excal II
    104 times
    Metal Detecting
    Lots of great finds with inexpensive machines. In truth, it is probably hard to justify the cost of expensive machines based solely on the separation between them and moderately priced detectors. It is like every other hobby in the world. The cost is justified by the enjoyment received.

I sent you a PM
    Normsel likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    1171 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by flyadive View Post
    It’s not entirely the detectors fault. Operator error is a major contribution in determining weather you find anything. I know guys that use the cheapest detectors($200.) and find the best stuff! It has to do with patience patience patience. Working a very small grid over and over again in a known area of found items. And knowing your detector inside and out. Having good hearing , the size of the coil in trashy of non trashy area. And the willingness to pursue those items. You have to be totally into it! In a trance!
    So what I’m saying is expensive does not mean better , it comes with experience.
    HH
    I agree with your post however a gold ring like Smokey references above at 13” will most likely not be “detected” by a $200 detector. Yes I agree research and experience is part of the “secret sauce” but you still need a good detector to “see” things others are blind to.

Name:  3735F696-569A-4E56-9C66-94998AE20156.jpeg
Views: 152
Size:  18.6 KB
    flyadive likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

us
    Dec 2012
    Twin Tiers NY
    XP Deus, CTX 3030, Explorer XS, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Racer2, Minelab GP3500
    390 times
    You get to hold your nose just a little bit higher than all those Bounty Hunter guys LOL!

us
    Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    Whites M6 & MXT
    42 times
    Metal Detecting
    Better sensitivity, better pinpointing, better VDI (Depending on brand and model of course) Better sound.
    I had a whites prizm and coinmaster and compared to the MXT and M6 they were like using a toy.
    Kevin75931 and fuzzy535 like this.
    You dont have to believe what the Media says, Its opinion, not fact.
    You dont have to accept what Hollywood pushes on you, Its sick & perverted.
    You dont have to believe what any government says, they are self servants, not public servants.

gb
    Jan 2015
    72 times
    Usually better at handling ground, better GB resolution, disc control, recovery speed adjustment, ground filters, selectable freq, sensitivity, gain, coil output power etc etc
    Just match your detector to your hunting ground+desired targets. Some machines are multi purpose, some are specialized in one area, but there's some very good machines about in Europe for reasonable money like the Rutus which offers a very high spec.
    Kevin75931 likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1265 times
    I like how the more expensive machines include stickers for the cars back window.
    choppadude likes this.

us
    I dig deep holes

May 2004
    Camano Island, WA
    CTX3030, Many more on a rotating basis. Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
    1144 times
    I did not get one with my CTX, should I have?

Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    I like how the more expensive machines include stickers for the cars back window.
    HighVDI likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    1171 times
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
    I did not get one with my CTX, should I have?
    Could be a fake Minelab.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Garrett AT PRO Garrett 250 Whites Spectra V3i
    541 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I didn't get a sticker either with any of my detectors. I will say when I had my ACE 250 hunting with a guy that had an AT Pro I bought an AT Pro the next day and since graduated to the V3i and E-trac

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Nov 2012
    184 times
    I don't believe they come with a sticker, at least I didn't get one with my etrac. Most likely folks buy them afterwards.

If somebody goes to the lengths of putting a sticker on their car about the detector they use, that should tell you something about the brand, though, and the faith that the detectorist has in it.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    7727 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    One thought, the one thing my Deus does well is cut out digging small iron and foil at the beach. I can also tell what a pull tab is. I sometimes dig a pull tab or two to make sure I'm not missing gold, but so far so good.

Charter Member
    SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    8778 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Hi Kevin! It is a question with several different answers. Let's start with your Compadre. Discrimination works along with Sensitivity. You must set your DISCRIMINATION to block iron, not sensitivity. More advanced machines, operating at Very Low Frequencies, or Multi-frequencies, deliver more power to larger coil, resulting in more depth and sensitivity in various soils. Machines are like golf clubs, they each do different jobs.
    I have a feeling I would find more stuff if Terry showed me how to use my machine

us
    I dig deep holes

May 2004
    Camano Island, WA
    CTX3030, Many more on a rotating basis. Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
    1144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Could be a fake Minelab.
    I would trust Bart to sell me an authentic machine, rather than figure that the lack of a decal means it is fake. Geez...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links