What benefits do you get with an expensive detector?

Kevin75931

Oct 9, 2016
Jasper Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Tesoro Compadre, and it does ok. Even set to most sensitive, it still picks up iron.

If I were to upgrade, what would the higher priced detectors do for me?

I mostly metal detect around old homesteads in southeast Texas. Found some spoons, a coin, and lots of iron. I also do amateur local history. There use to be a church not far my house. It disappeared after the sawmill burned down in 1925. That is the kind of places I go around.

At what price range can I get some nice features, like detecting only alloys, but without spending a fortune?

Upvote 0

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually better at handling ground, better GB resolution, disc control, recovery speed adjustment, ground filters, selectable freq, sensitivity, gain, coil output power etc etc
Just match your detector to your hunting ground+desired targets. Some machines are multi purpose, some are specialized in one area, but there's some very good machines about in Europe for reasonable money like the Rutus which offers a very high spec.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like how the more expensive machines include stickers for the cars back window.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always try e-Bay ..LOL

https://www.ebay.com/i/282790210821...3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1420056528262

71956FEB-229B-487D-8C65-7D935AF1D39F.jpeg

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't get a sticker either with any of my detectors. I will say when I had my ACE 250 hunting with a guy that had an AT Pro I bought an AT Pro the next day and since graduated to the V3i and E-trac

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I don't believe they come with a sticker, at least I didn't get one with my etrac. Most likely folks buy them afterwards.

If somebody goes to the lengths of putting a sticker on their car about the detector they use, that should tell you something about the brand, though, and the faith that the detectorist has in it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thought, the one thing my Deus does well is cut out digging small iron and foil at the beach. I can also tell what a pull tab is. I sometimes dig a pull tab or two to make sure I'm not missing gold, but so far so good.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Kevin! It is a question with several different answers. Let's start with your Compadre. Discrimination works along with Sensitivity. You must set your DISCRIMINATION to block iron, not sensitivity. More advanced machines, operating at Very Low Frequencies, or Multi-frequencies, deliver more power to larger coil, resulting in more depth and sensitivity in various soils. Machines are like golf clubs, they each do different jobs.:skullflag:

I have a feeling I would find more stuff if Terry showed me how to use my machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread