Does the freezing and thawing of ground make it easier to find treasure?

MetalKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this is a simple question to answer but I'd like to share my evidence. If you don't want to read that, feel free to jump down to the last paragraph.

My girlfriend, who has never even touched a detector or anything of the sort, was walking through her backyard when she saw a coin in the snow. She picked it up and found an undated Buffalo Nickel. There is no way that she or her family members had just dropped one that they were for some reason carrying around and it is a closed backyard so I doubt it got there recently. It also has that dirty look of a coin that was dug up but dried off and water cleared the chunks of soil away.

Later, on a run with some buddies, I encountered a set of keys on the grass. The loop holding all the keys together was quite rusty, not something that somebody would be carrying around I feel.

When I got home, my dad showed me what he found when taking out our Christmas tree to the trash. Another set of keys, and this one had a loop that was so rusty it was practically crumbling.

So does the freezing and thawing of ground push treasure up towards the surface? I know that this can create potholes and small hills so it can't be much of a stretch. If this is true, I'm heading out after school tomorrow to start hunting. It was below zero for a week or so here and it just hit 50, so the land is ripe for detecting.

Upvote 0

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of the time it just sucks stuff down. but rain can really settle the ground sometimes. you never know.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lotta factors move items up and down underground. Rain, like Sawmill Man said, temp extremes, earthworm activity, gopher/mole movement, landscaping work...lotta things.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I would think the thaw and freeze would move objects, but not so much that if something was a few inches in the ground it would push it to the surface. Moles and the like could move it to the surface, and rain could uncover items that are shallow. A tavern site I visited awhile back, the owner said that after a hard rain, you could go out in the yard and pick up silver coins off the top of the ground.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid we had a "country lawn".......basically mowed weeds. Every spring we would walk the lawn and pick up stones and rocks that the freezing would pop to the surface. We would wonder how did they get there since the yard was stone free in the fall. Different materials freeze and thaw at different rates which can cause movement in the position on the ground.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You touched on a lot of good things.
First, with surface finds like the key rings. An object as large as a ring of keys takes a long time to get buried. It can be lost in tall grass and doesn't become a surface find until a good snow flattens out the overgrown grass and weeds.
Sometimes a rough winter with lots of ground freezing and thawing will move a coin, that was on it's side to a flatter position. That will make that coin more visible to your detector.
Because of the recent freeze of sub 20°F night time temps that went on for the last 2 - 3 weeks, today's 50 degree temps is not enough to thaw out the ground.
You need at least a week of 40 and 50 degree daytime temps with nighttime temps staying above freezing.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a frost heave but lots of things have to happen. When the thaw starts the ice crystals expand and that may bring a shallow object to the surface but also the ground settling after a thaw may leave an object on or close to the surface.

OP
OP
M

MetalKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your replies everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. I'll still head out today to search, but I'll keep everything you've told me in mind.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the ground is wet the conductivity is greater. The frequency of the total radius area is increased significantly turn the sensitivity up ground balance and turn disc down your gold. I have no idea what I'm talking about but it sounded pretty good for a minute. lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions