Does anyone recognise this 1695 coin?

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the date is 1695 but not sure , was found in the UK but doesn't have a monarch on....so I'm guessing it's not british. Think is made of copper.
Any help appreciated.
Kindest regards Steve. 20180114_195735.jpg 20180114_190520.jpg IMG-20180114-WA0023.jpeg IMG-20180114-WA0027.jpeg

Upvote 0

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv'e been researching it for a couple hours. nothing yet but I'll keep you posted. Love a good search.

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job,, man your finding alot of cool stuff keep up the good work best of luck to you

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
The image on the obverse is that of St. Andrew,the patron saint of Scotland. The design of the flag of Scotland is the same as the one on the coin. It depicts the style of cross on which St. Andrew was crucified; called a 'crux decussata'.
If the token has a diameter of 28mm, its legend will read "NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSET" (meaning: "No one provokes me with impunity" and is the Motto of Scotland) on the obverse and "EDINBURGH HALF PENNY" on the reverse. The token was made in Edinburgh, Scotland. What appears as the Roman number three (III) is actually three towers of a castle; and above the castle is an anchor.

What intrigues me is that I'm only familiar with this token dated 1790, '91 and '92.
Don.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some history:
The image on the obverse is that of St. Andrew,the patron saint of Scotland. The design of the flag of Scotland is the same as the one on the coin. It depicts the style of cross on which St. Andrew was crucified; called a 'crux decussata'.
If the token has a diameter of 28mm, its legend will read "NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSET" (meaning: "No one provokes me with impunity" and is the Motto of Scotland) on the obverse and "EDINBURGH HALF PENNY" on the reverse. The token was made in Edinburgh, Scotland. What appears as the Roman number three (III) is actually three towers of a castle; and above the castle is an anchor.

What intrigues me is that I'm only familiar with this token dated 1790, '91 and '92.
Don.....
Wow, thanks for the great info on my coin. I didn't see one online as early as mine ....they all seemed to be later. Loving this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread