PaleRider

Greenie
Dec 20, 2017
Temecula, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Detector Pro Headhunter Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally found a very promising target to search after speaking to the local historical folk. I have talked my brother into this upcoming hunt and he has dusted off his old MD that he hasn’t used in years, I think he has only used it a couple of times. His MD is a Minelab SD2200D and it has three coils. Our hunt will not be at the beach although I am bringing my Minelab Excal II, I have a feeling that his MD is better suited for this type of hunt? My bro has three coils and we aren’t sure which would be most appropriate? We will be hunting around a cluster of very old homesteads that have been reduced to their foundations. Any advice on the settings of the SD2200D would be greatly appreciated as well, neither of us have been on a hunt in years.

Thanks
Nick MD.jpg

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the area is not heavily brushy- lots of shrubby things , I would use the largest coil. You will get the best depth and coverage. But if it is brushy and hard to move that big coil, use a smaller coil. Not familiar with that detector, when you are at the site, set it where it has the most sensitivity, yet not too much falsing if the ground has any iron or other metals in it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before going out on this adventure,, be sure to test the fully charged "Dusted off, detector that hasn't been used in years "
Good luck

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Minelab SD2200D is a great machine but terrible for hunting demolished homestead. Probably do better with the Minelab Excal II or anything that can discriminate iron. The PI will drive you nuts!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually you do better with a small coil around demo sites due to all the iron junk you will find. I agree with RW, you'll probably do better with the Excal since it can discriminate. Once you get away from the house footprint, you may want a big coil for wide open spaces. If there is no iron junk, the SD2200 should work ok, but, every little speck of metal (both good and bad) will sound off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread