Looks like it won’t be another day at the park. I got BANNED.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This public City Park, dating back to the 1850’s,and where I’ve been going to for 3 years has come to an end. I was told today by the Park’s Police that I had a complaint called on me, but they excused it but the they got another call from the same person to a “high up” so they have to check into it to see if there’s a rule or law against me. The officer to down my name and number and promised me man-to-man that he would let me know, good or bad, a let me know. I could tell he felt bad. He also thanked me for how I handled myself and to me how sorry he was.

The park is 1300 acres so I could always spread out in locations but when I stumbled across that 3 ringer in November it was in a more populated area near the museum and that did me in. I can’t lie I always wanted one more and it gave them up one at a time with a total of 28. Unfortunately it was in a 40x40ft spot and with the large chucks of clay and them being down 8” to a foot the plugs where very lumpy and noticeable. I hit it pretty hard and often on a 3 ringer bender and it caught up with me man it hard to stop a spot when it’s hot. Hopefully good news will come my way and I learn a lesson, if not I’ll have to look at is as a opportunity to look else where, water hunt this summer or start my 2018 door knocking career. When one door closes another one will open. I will miss you my friend. Thank you for giving me many happy days.

R.I.P. City Park (2015-2018)

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's your crazy runner. Maybe he's just lonely. Maybe he needs a new clingy friend. On the other hand, he might be a violent nut job case, so stay away.

Maybe all in one...

A lonely clingy violent nut job... case. :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
UPDATE: Not to beat a dead horse,but it is on the City Park website. View attachment 1537932

I love it. I absolutely love it. This question gets on the "Frequently" asked questions list, eh? Same for other parks in the USA where it shows up on FAQ lists. Bless the little hearts of the past md'rs who showed up "frequently asking" this "pressing question" . That no one in authority there cared or thought about till they asked. And then .... presto .... some lawyer can sleuth and come up with oddball technical answers like this one. :icon_scratch:

Are they serious ? 1) Since when does an item found on city property belong to the state ? Wouldn't it belong to the city ? 2) And I actually sort of agree with the answer : Sure, items (aka "park features") found in the park belong to the entity that owns the park. Eg.: the park benches, turf, trees, etc.... Could a coin be construed to be a "park feature" ? SURE ! Just ask enough lawyers and city pencil pushers. And did you really think any of them would have cared less if you picked up a coin or a seashell ? OF COURSE NOT. But hey it's the technical answer and .... gee, aren't you glad you asked ?

Now we're on their radar as someone who "takes" things. Guess what they'll be thinking the next time they see an md'r in the park ? Who probably would not even have registered on their conscience before this ?

Ok, let's take a show of hands: How many guys do you think ran to the state offices and turned in any item they found ? And if they try, I'll bet you dollars to donuts they'd have been met with blank stares and confusion . No one to want their junk. Unless it's a gold bar or whatever. Then ... sure, give us the gold bar . But was it ever meant to apply to casual fumble fingers stuff we do ? OF COURSE NOT. But gee, aren't ya glad you asked ? So that someone can give this "pressing question" an odd-answer like that ?

In fact, I'm surprised they didn't answer the FAQ with simply saying : "No you can't" . Or "yes but you can't dig". Or other types answers that frequently get tossed out there.

Sorry to go off on a tirade, but this is the drum I've been beating for years. It's as if we md'rs can be our own worst enemy at times :BangHead:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Print... and go back.

But then he'd be in a pickle. If being in obedience to the laws (or any isolated scram from authority) is the dilemma here, then let's go all the way. After all, he has no intention of breaking any laws (the whole point of this post , after all). Thus , sure, this FAQ allows him to detect. And then he dutifully trots down to state offices to turn in his pennies and pulltabs. Right ?

But seriously now, of COURSE Truth-1253 is *not* going to trot down to the state offices and turn stuff in (no one would want it anyhow). But then truth-1253 would be breaking the very law you tell him to print out. And we can't have that, right ? :laughing7:

Last edited:

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing to add kinda on the subject, I find in my local parks, the park workers, rangers or whoever, really don't mind that I'm there. Will just wave and move on. I have come across a problem when just average citizens are using the park. They are the naysayers. So like mentioned above, I stay away on busy weekends, holidays, jogging hours (early am and after work) and noons. Yes, that takes away allot of times, especially if you work during the day. I have even come down to detecting public parks when is raining. (light rain) We just have to keep our heads, figure out a way around things. Too bad it has to be this way.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
One thing to add kinda on the subject, I find in my local parks, the park workers, rangers or whoever, really don't mind that I'm there. Will just wave and move on.... .

And I, like you, find that to be totally satisfactory. To me, that would equate to : "Thus it's ok".

But I'll bet you, that in THOSE VERY PARKS WHERE YOU HAVE NO PROBLEMS (in Colonie, NY) that I could send emails, make calls, etc.... to the superiors of those park workers. If I sent the queery (FAQ) to them asking "Hi, can I metal detect in the park ?", that I could fetch a "no" from those very same parks.

I just have to be sure to use words like "dig", and "hole" and "take/remove" and indian bone.

Thus the fact that you haven't experienced any no's or resistance, simply means you didn't ask long enough and hard enough. Shame on you. :laughing7:

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ould equate to : "Thus it's ok".

But I'll bet you, that in THOSE VERY PARKS WHERE YOU HAVE NO PROBLEMS (in Colonie, NY) that I could send emails, make calls, etc.... to the superiors of those park workers. If I sent the queery (FAQ) to them asking "Hi, can I metal detect in the park ?", that I could fetch a "no" from those very same parks.
NOOOOOO... lol, I believe this to be true.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
NOOOOOO... lol, I believe this to be true.

I knew you would be writhing on the floor, racked with guilt and self-loathing. But it's ok: Pack up all your md'ing finds and send them to me. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow forum contributor like you :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom-in-ca, you want me to send you a couple pull tabs? I only have one or two as I don't dig or keep them, except on rare occasions to make sure my machine is telling me the truth on a target.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom-in-ca, you want me to send you a couple pull tabs? I only have one or two as I don't dig or keep them, except on rare occasions to make sure my machine is telling me the truth on a target.

smokey-cat, I will let you keep the pulltabs.

HOWEVER: There's a certain recent ... uh ... "buckle" you must send me. After all, if you tell me where you found it, I bet I can find some person or entity that has an issue with it. Tsk tsk. And it's your obligation to please every last person on earth. Make it easy and just send me the cash equivalent (I accept paypal). Then you can sleep well at night, knowing your conscience is absolved of all guilt ! :hello:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i always feel you have the right to know the name of that person who is making these unwanted complaints

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
i always feel you have the right to know the name of that person who is making these unwanted complaints

Even if so, I wonder what good it will do for the md'r ? Let's just assume you approached them and disputed the legality of your actions with that person. If you get into a debate over semantics with them, who is going to "break that tie" ? If they go over your head to a higher authority (the city), then guess what happens ? Do you really think you'll win that debate ? After all, you do *dig*. Right ? You do *take*, right ?

So while it might be interesting to know the name of the person, yet .... I would use that information (their whereabouts, address , what they look like, etc...) TO AVOID the person. Not to engage the person.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some night hunting.
There will always be someone who hates hunters digging into the nice grass. Did you look into the park regulations yourself.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth sorry to hear this, I have really enjoyed seeing all the great finds that place produced for you. But like you said, when one door shut another one opens, don't let the bas$%#ards get you down!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in ca, the buckle was found on a long time friends farm. They bought the place late 2016 and it’s been a cool adventure up there. They wouldn’t want it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private permissions are the best. Sorry to hear about this, but the way things are going no public land will be allowed to detect on within a few years. And then there are the bureaucrats. I got a "amnesty allowed" parking ticket from a bunch of city nitwits for my brother who has been DEAD almost 8 years. The tickets are from 2013. Do the math. The idiots. After I talk to my attorney, I think I'm going to take a day off, drive down to idiotville and scream in their face.

That probably has to do with whoever bought your brother's vehicle and didn't re-register it in their name. Been there myself! Always send in the completed "Release of Liability" form to the DMV. That's saved me from countless tickets.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
boy thats a bummer getting banned. i can relate. i got banned from burger king last week cuz i complained my hot water was a tinged color and it smelled like coffee. and i said it nicely too ! just sayin. whats life comin to ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark, you are correct, but the statute of limitation is well past, even in 2013 and I don't know at this time which vehicle or trailer it was anymore.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth sorry to hear this, I have really enjoyed seeing all the great finds that place produced for you. But like you said, when one door shut another one opens, don't let the bas$%#ards get you down!!!

Thanks for the kind words BLK. I’m gonna find some new place and go back in a couple of months. It’s legal to detect there I just hit that deep hot spot and it was noticeable. IMG_2146.JPG

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
boy thats a bummer getting banned. i can relate. i got banned from burger king last week cuz i complained my hot water was a tinged color and it smelled like coffee. and i said it nicely too ! just sayin. whats life comin to ?

Lmao

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread