What do you guys do with your excess finds like pull tabs and bottlecaps?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
they go into the nearest trash can.

I know some guys who save all the brass, aluminum, copper, lead, etc.... In buckets , drums, etc... all sorted out. And at the end of the year, take it for recycling . But it's a whopping $30 or whatever. Not worth the time. Unless you get tons of scrap metal from your hunt locations ?

OP
OP
M

MetalKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, that is what I expected. I don't want the metal to end up back in the ground in some landfill, if I put stuff other than pull tabs and bottle caps (like iron plates) in a recycling bin I doubt that would go over well however. Thoughts?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trash it. you are going to spend more money melting it down than it's worth. landfills are where those things belong.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep brass and copper . The lead and aluminum scrap goes in the garbage can with the pull tabs and bottle caps.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Get a 5 gallon bucket and throw it all in. When it gets pretty full, get another and sort out brass,copper and aluminum into one and the rest in another. I donate alu. cans to the Boy Scouts. If I had a recycle center I'd take it there. At least it's not goin into a landfill. Good luck.

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i beach detect i make a sure anyone in the area clearly sees me emptying my trash into the bin with a big smug look on my face

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I make art from mine, and sell it as "Recycled Art" down in Manhattan, to stupid rich people. :laughing7::skullflag:

Attachments

• stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52
  • necklace 005.jpg
    necklace 005.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 54

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The lead go to my jeweler, he turns it into gold for me...a long story. The rest goes into the local transfer station small metals bin for recycling.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they go into the nearest trash can.

I know some guys who save all the brass, aluminum, copper, lead, etc.... In buckets , drums, etc... all sorted out. And at the end of the year, take it for recycling . But it's a whopping $30 or whatever. Not worth the time. Unless you get tons of scrap metal from your hunt locations ?

I dunno tom, it adds up. I think I got around 50 this summer for my stuff(the total was 200 but not all was from detecting). haha I also collect scrap from other things so I'm already doing it, which makes it worth it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save brass, copper, aluminum, and lead in 5 gallon buckets. It adds up when you hunt often. Tabs go to Ronald McDonald house through one of our club members. He also matches all the crusty zincs with a donation to RMcD house.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish bottle caps had some value. I find a TON of those every year with the Excal. Some of them sound bad like they should and can be passed by, others just don't sound bad enough to ignore. With the E-trac, I rarely dig a cap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread