Looking for suggestions

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to pick up a new detector. Upgrading from an ace 400. I'm looking for gold flakes, nuggets, anything gold. Im looking at spending some money but not a huge amount. Nothing over 1000. Can anyone suggest a good detector that will do this? Members with experience with these machines is prefered but even if you know someone whose used one of them would be fine too. User friendly machines go to the tol of the list. Mainly going to be digging dessert terrain. Im also looking for good digger tools. Thanks everyone in advance

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Gold Monster by Minelab

0FFD6B02-B102-4E35-BEC7-0A4A31E365CC.jpeg

Here is a great review of this machine

Field Test Of Minelab Gold Monster 1000 By Kevin Hoagland - Minelab Metal Detectors - DetectorProspector.com

Here are some great Gold detectors

C877E720-27D2-4C51-B380-09156002AE03.jpeg

Here is a great write up in replacing a Gold Bug with other detectors

Advice On Gold Bug 2 Replacement - Metal Detector Advice & Comparisons - DetectorProspector.com

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Upgrading from an ace 400. I'm looking for gold flakes, nuggets,...

The Ace 400 is ANYTHING but a prospecting machine. The 400 is a coin/relic machine. It will not pick up gold objects smaller than various jewelry and coins. It was not meant for nuggets.

And BTW: for "flakes".... not sure of any machine that can get "flakes". That panning/sluicing territory. Depending on what you meant by "flakes".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For tiny nuggets, it's hard to beat the old Fisher Gold Bug.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find that there are as many "favorite" detectors as there are detectorists. If you're looking for a 1 pound nugget, a Radio Shack one will find the big ones. Since we don't usually find them, I am of the opinion that, if it detects a small ring, doesn't make you set it up for an hour or two before you can start detecting, it's not so heavy that your arm wants to fall off in a half hour, or your arm stops working, and the tones are ones that you can easily get to under, stand (it doesn't have lots of ghost signals) - that's a good start. I've had Fisher, Minelab, Garrett, Whites and Tesoros, and they all have advantages and disadvantages. I happen to love my Tesoro , as it's a "turn it on and go" machine, and I'm very impatient. Plus, it has found silver, gold, coins, rings and other things like fish hooks, an even a gold pan with a nickle in it. (that was a weird spot). If you can, try some different ones out, and you can make a good decision on what is comfortable for you.

Mrs. O

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking to pick up a new detector. Upgrading from an ace 400. I'm looking for gold flakes, nuggets, anything gold. Im looking at spending some money but not a huge amount. Nothing over 1000. Can anyone suggest a good detector that will do this? Members with experience with these machines is prefered but even if you know someone whose used one of them would be fine too. User friendly machines go to the tol of the list. Mainly going to be digging dessert terrain. Im also looking for good digger tools. Thanks everyone in advance

if you are looking for an easy to use nugget detector they do not come any easier than the GM 1000 ( Gold Monster) it will see vary tiny non ferrous targets and larger non ferrous targets as long as they are not to deep I have dug spent lead bullets and brass down to as deep as 10 inches with my GM 1000 as well as vary small pieces of aluminum it bangs real hard on non ferrous targets when you get your coil over them even the smallest pieces sound big I have also dug some clad coins with it while in all metal deep mode

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold Bug 2 with a Calvin Bunker (Bunk) digger. Plain and simple. Current cost of GB2 is 764. Bunk's digger about 79. Digger will last you the rest of your life! ╦╦Ç

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ATGOLD and really like it, but as a previous post stated, it has a lot to do with personal experience. I am not a full time prospector so my opinion might not carry much weight. I liked the ATGold because I can search for just about anything when we travel. Again, JMO

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Bug 2 with a Calvin Bunker (Bunk) digger. Plain and simple. Current cost of GB2 is 764. Bunk's digger about 79. Digger will last you the rest of your life! ╦╦Ç

I second Bunks hermit pick they are a beast

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If a GBII can't find it, then it ain't lost.:notworthy:
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions