Upgrade to the AT Pro, new White’s MX-7, or just keep the Coinmaster GT?

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I was hoping to get some good advice here. So I bought my first detector, a White’s Coinmaster GT, about three years ago. I have really enjoyed my time this far with it, but I’m now considering an upgrade. I enjoy mainly finding old coins. The majority of coins I’ve dug with the CMGT have been no deeper than 6 inches. Then recently I dug a really faint and iffy signal at about 10 inches. It turned out to be a silver quarter. I’m worried I’m missing these type of targets now and I’m looking to get more depth. However, after some research and YouTube watching it appears that other mid-level detectors also struggle at times at 10 inches.
My initial idea was to buy a used AT Pro on EBay. But then I went hunting with a friend who has an AT pro and had him run over some of my iffy signals. They sounded just as iffy on his machine. That day I ended up finding my first barber dime and V nickel in the same hole! That wasn’t even my best find. I also found my first reale!!! I was over the moon! My partner found nothing with the At pro. I guess it was just my day, however none of those coins were deeper than about 4-5 inches. Now I’m thinking, is there really gonna be a difference with the At pro? I’m not interested in taking my detector underwater so that aspect of the At pro doesn’t interest me. Then I was looking at the new White’s MX-7, which appears to me and PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong, to be essentially the same machine as the MX-Sport, with a different coil and not water proof, just a couple hundred bucks cheaper. There seems to be very little feedback so far on the MX7 and a little more on the MX-Sport which some are claiming gets great depth. Im wondering if the MX7 works the same on land, maybe this could be a good fit for me? Maybe stick with CMGT for a while longer, I don’t know I’m confused. I don’t want to make this investment to upgrade if the results will be only marginal at best. Any advice, especially feedback on the MX7 would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know but I want to make sure it’s gonna meet my needs, right now I’m not convinced.

Join a local MD club make some friends and try some machines ask some questions hands on. There are plenty of metal detecting companies for a reason. There are many brands of cars on the roadwAy for a reason.

It has to be best fit for you and your style of detecting. You canhave 100 people tell you that metal detector brand and model is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you buy it and it turns out to be a dog.

Good luck, metal detectors are like puppies once you find one that “likes you” ... you will adopt it.. and form an amazing relationship

Cheers

C9F1C7BF-DC89-4DD6-93D2-EB2D3487A977.jpeg

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I haven’t. I’ll look into it though. What kind of depth have you had with it? That’s a low price. I think I paid 350 for my CMGT.

Sorry, I haven't run it myself. I plan on buying in the near future, though, and nearly everything thing I've read or seen regarding the F70 platform has been positive. It's a beast. Just throwing a suggestion out there. :icon_thumright:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ad up in the classified section for a gently used F70 if you are interested. The last time I took it out was in December, I hunted in the woods and pulled 3 silvers.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I know it depends a lot on soil mineralization and ground balancing your machine (and I like to manually ground balance) but I use my F75 LTD in Jewelry mode with the NEL Tornado 12" coil for coins and jewelry. You may have to lower the sensitivity just a little but it's a killer on deep coins. If that mode isn't working for you, on the F75 LTD we have a mode called DP. It's also a killer mode when swinging a little slower.Just a side note. I personally would not buy a machine that self balances. Good luck.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi robmenn,

The MX7 is the MX Sport without the water proofing. The MX7 is a bit lighter in weight, and comes with a concentric coil. I do not own the MX7 so I can not tell you much about that machine, other than what I have read. Search "Monte + Whites MX7" and you will find multiple posts (that go into a lot of detail about the MX7) from someone with a lot of experience with the MX7.

I don't own the Coinmaster either. My understanding is that it is not as deep as the MX Sport - which would make sense due to the machines being in different categories.

I do own the MX Sport (and several other machines) and can tell you that the Sport is deep and sensitive. My guess would be that the MX 7 is equally as deep (of a machine) as the MX Sport is.

You might want to think about visiting your local dealer - swing different machines and get an idea of what fits you and what does not.

In the Whites lineup I'd take a look at the Treasure Pro, the MX7, the M6, and the MX5. The latter would be a used machine, but it is a doozy. There's also the MXT All Pro. All of those machines should be deeper than the Coinmaster. I haven't used the M6, but it is supposedly a wicked coin hunter. The MX5 and the MX7 are weather resistant machines - you can't dunk them in water, but they should be just fine in rain.

I do own the MX5 - it is light weight, quick, and deep. It's also a threshold machine - it spits and farts a bit. You can quiet it down, but you'll lose some depth. Some don't like the headphone connection and some don't like the fact that you can't lock the ground tracking. I don't have a problem with either; the MX5 is an amazing machine in my opinion.

Other machines you might want to take a look at:

Teknetics Patriot - a Fisher F70 with a different paint job. Supposed to be very deep and very fast. I don't own one (but would like to).
Fisher F75 - you can get one (new) for $500. It is a deep machine, very fast, and has a ton of great finds to back the claims about its abilities.

Tesoro Vaquero - a very deep, beep and dig machine. I've never owned/used the Vaquero, but tons of people use them and swear by them. I do own the Compadre, and based on it I am a believer when it comes to the claims made about the Vaquero.

Quest Q40 - almost unknown in the US. It has a growing fan base in Europe and some of the finds are incredible. User's are reporting very good depth and excellent separation. I have not used one, but this machine really intrigues me.

Whatever machine you end up choosing - have fun and happy hunting.

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi robmenn,

The MX7 is the MX Sport without the water proofing. The MX7 is a bit lighter in weight, and comes with a concentric coil. I do not own the MX7 so I can not tell you much about that machine, other than what I have read. Search "Monte + Whites MX7" and you will find multiple posts (that go into a lot of detail about the MX7) from someone with a lot of experience with the MX7.

I don't own the Coinmaster either. My understanding is that it is not as deep as the MX Sport - which would make sense due to the machines being in different categories.

I do own the MX Sport (and several other machines) and can tell you that the Sport is deep and sensitive. My guess would be that the MX 7 is equally as deep (of a machine) as the MX Sport is.

You might want to think about visiting your local dealer - swing different machines and get an idea of what fits you and what does not.

In the Whites lineup I'd take a look at the Treasure Pro, the MX7, the M6, and the MX5. The latter would be a used machine, but it is a doozy. There's also the MXT All Pro. All of those machines should be deeper than the Coinmaster. I haven't used the M6, but it is supposedly a wicked coin hunter. The MX5 and the MX7 are weather resistant machines - you can't dunk them in water, but they should be just fine in rain.

I do own the MX5 - it is light weight, quick, and deep. It's also a threshold machine - it spits and farts a bit. You can quiet it down, but you'll lose some depth. Some don't like the headphone connection and some don't like the fact that you can't lock the ground tracking. I don't have a problem with either; the MX5 is an amazing machine in my opinion.

Other machines you might want to take a look at:

Teknetics Patriot - a Fisher F70 with a different paint job. Supposed to be very deep and very fast. I don't own one (but would like to).
Fisher F75 - you can get one (new) for $500. It is a deep machine, very fast, and has a ton of great finds to back the claims about its abilities.

Tesoro Vaquero - a very deep, beep and dig machine. I've never owned/used the Vaquero, but tons of people use them and swear by them. I do own the Compadre, and based on it I am a believer when it comes to the claims made about the Vaquero.

Quest Q40 - almost unknown in the US. It has a growing fan base in Europe and some of the finds are incredible. User's are reporting very good depth and excellent separation. I have not used one, but this machine really intrigues me.

Whatever machine you end up choosing - have fun and happy hunting.

Thank you for your very thorough opinion. You gave me a lot to chew on. That search for “Monte” was very useful too. He has two MX-7’s, I guess he likes it, must be nice.... This decision it not gonna be as as easy as I thought now with all these great opinions. This is a good problem to have though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Teknetics Patriot, the Fisher F70 which has been said to = the Patriot, and the Fisher F75 have been mentioned. Can anyone shed any light on differences? Is it just personal preference? Again thanks to all for your help!

K3sn3r

Greenie
Dec 22, 2017
Wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Max, Garrett pro pointer at
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the at max and love it the wireless headphones alone make it worth the extra from the pro not to mention a backlight on the screen

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Teknetics Patriot, the Fisher F70 which has been said to = the Patriot, and the Fisher F75 have been mentioned. Can anyone shed any light on differences? Is it just personal preference? Again thanks to all for your help!

I would ask that question in the Fisher forum. I have no doubt that you'll get a detailed answer there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Fisher still make the F70? I thought it was discontinued.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd save your money and keep your current machine. A 10" deep silver quarter is nothing to sneeze at! That's probably the deepest I've dug a silver quarter and it was a faint signal on my F75. Plus, you have a learning curve with any new machine too. Sounds like you're doing something right with the current setup!

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd save your money and keep your current machine. A 10" deep silver quarter is nothing to sneeze at! That's probably the deepest I've dug a silver quarter and it was a faint signal on my F75. Plus, you have a learning curve with any new machine too. Sounds like you're doing something right with the current setup!

Thanks for the input. Keeping on with this machine is just something I may do, it’s done pretty well. At least until I see more field testing for the MX7.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'm trying to figure out where in his post he states he dug a quarter at 10 inches I have re read this whole post front to back and do not see that stated anywhere once

If I missed it some where then I apologize and like you stated if thats the case I would stick with that machine also

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to figure out where in his post he states he dug a quarter at 10 inches I have re read this whole post front to back and do not see that stated anywhere once

If I missed it some where then I apologize and like you stated if thats the case I would stick with that machine also

It's there....

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you have to dig those faint iffy signals if you are not you are missing things thats why I dig everything if its a repeatable signal and faint clear an inch or two of dirt when you get a iffy signal and see if it becomes clearer

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a lot of good info to think over and choice to look at. The machine you have works well. Before you pull the trigger on the next, be sure it fits your needs and figure out if they might change anytime soon and plan that in. I have the MX Sport and it is a good machine but is heavy. But in the rain or a waterhole, I don't have to worry about it getting wet, just my pinpointer and non-waterproof headset. I have an older Minelab and it still is a good unit that needs work but has held up well. All of the units have their good points , figure out which has the most in your budget and if you can grab a test, take it. Nothing beats a test drive! Good luck with your selection and if you stick with the GT, at least you know it and no learning curve necessary!

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K3sn3r....My detector has a backlight already and I can't justify the price tag of the AT Max just to have wireless headphones.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to dig those faint iffy signals if you are not you are missing things thats why I dig everything if its a repeatable signal and faint clear an inch or two of dirt when you get a iffy signal and see if it becomes clearer

I completely agree, but don't often get any repeatable signal at that depth. As Ive said, just about all my finds have been at 6" or less. I think there is more out there that Im missing because the detector I have usually is not picking up coins at over 6". However from what Ive seen on Youtube, it seems that many detectors start to struggle at 10". I would like to find a detector that is not "iffy" and sporadic on a silver quarter at 10" but hits solid and most of the time.

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a lot of good info to think over and choice to look at. The machine you have works well. Before you pull the trigger on the next, be sure it fits your needs and figure out if they might change anytime soon and plan that in. I have the MX Sport and it is a good machine but is heavy. But in the rain or a waterhole, I don't have to worry about it getting wet, just my pinpointer and non-waterproof headset. I have an older Minelab and it still is a good unit that needs work but has held up well. All of the units have their good points , figure out which has the most in your budget and if you can grab a test, take it. Nothing beats a test drive! Good luck with your selection and if you stick with the GT, at least you know it and no learning curve necessary!

How do you like the MX-Sport? I understand the guts of the machine are the same and should work very similarly as far as land hunting. Its also lighter and supposedly van be used in the rain.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread