Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Upgrade to the AT Pro, new White’s MX-7, or just keep the Coinmaster GT?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1636 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'd save your money and keep your current machine. A 10" deep silver quarter is nothing to sneeze at! That's probably the deepest I've dug a silver quarter and it was a faint signal on my F75. Plus, you have a learning curve with any new machine too. Sounds like you're doing something right with the current setup!
    Loco-Digger and robmenn like this.

us
    Nov 2014
    Long Island, NY
    White’s Coinmaster GT
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    I'd save your money and keep your current machine. A 10" deep silver quarter is nothing to sneeze at! That's probably the deepest I've dug a silver quarter and it was a faint signal on my F75. Plus, you have a learning curve with any new machine too. Sounds like you're doing something right with the current setup!
    Thanks for the input. Keeping on with this machine is just something I may do, it’s done pretty well. At least until I see more field testing for the MX7.

us
    Jan 2017
    East of snowflake Arizona completely off grid
    Mine-Lab X-Terra 705 with three coils 5x10 hf,9 inch 7 mf and 6 inch hf Garrett AT pro
    205 times
    I'm trying to figure out where in his post he states he dug a quarter at 10 inches I have re read this whole post front to back and do not see that stated anywhere once

If I missed it some where then I apologize and like you stated if thats the case I would stick with that machine also
    Last edited by oldkoot; Jan 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where in his post he states he dug a quarter at 10 inches I have re read this whole post front to back and do not see that stated anywhere once

If I missed it some where then I apologize and like you stated if thats the case I would stick with that machine also
    It's there....

us
    Jan 2017
    Mine-Lab X-Terra 705 with three coils 5x10 hf,9 inch 7 mf and 6 inch hf Garrett AT pro
    205 times
    It's there....
    You were rite I simply missed it in his vary first post i do apologize
    63bkpkr likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    205 times
    you have to dig those faint iffy signals if you are not you are missing things thats why I dig everything if its a repeatable signal and faint clear an inch or two of dirt when you get a iffy signal and see if it becomes clearer

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    942 times
    You've got a lot of good info to think over and choice to look at. The machine you have works well. Before you pull the trigger on the next, be sure it fits your needs and figure out if they might change anytime soon and plan that in. I have the MX Sport and it is a good machine but is heavy. But in the rain or a waterhole, I don't have to worry about it getting wet, just my pinpointer and non-waterproof headset. I have an older Minelab and it still is a good unit that needs work but has held up well. All of the units have their good points , figure out which has the most in your budget and if you can grab a test, take it. Nothing beats a test drive! Good luck with your selection and if you stick with the GT, at least you know it and no learning curve necessary!
    pescadore likes this.

us
    Nov 2014
    Long Island, NY
    White’s Coinmaster GT
    13 times
    K3sn3r....My detector has a backlight already and I can't justify the price tag of the AT Max just to have wireless headphones.....
    Last edited by robmenn; Jan 30, 2018 at 10:50 PM.
    pescadore likes this.

us
    Nov 2014
    Long Island, NY
    White’s Coinmaster GT
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    you have to dig those faint iffy signals if you are not you are missing things thats why I dig everything if its a repeatable signal and faint clear an inch or two of dirt when you get a iffy signal and see if it becomes clearer
    I completely agree, but don't often get any repeatable signal at that depth. As Ive said, just about all my finds have been at 6" or less. I think there is more out there that Im missing because the detector I have usually is not picking up coins at over 6". However from what Ive seen on Youtube, it seems that many detectors start to struggle at 10". I would like to find a detector that is not "iffy" and sporadic on a silver quarter at 10" but hits solid and most of the time.

us
    Nov 2014
    Long Island, NY
    White’s Coinmaster GT
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdigger View Post
    You've got a lot of good info to think over and choice to look at. The machine you have works well. Before you pull the trigger on the next, be sure it fits your needs and figure out if they might change anytime soon and plan that in. I have the MX Sport and it is a good machine but is heavy. But in the rain or a waterhole, I don't have to worry about it getting wet, just my pinpointer and non-waterproof headset. I have an older Minelab and it still is a good unit that needs work but has held up well. All of the units have their good points , figure out which has the most in your budget and if you can grab a test, take it. Nothing beats a test drive! Good luck with your selection and if you stick with the GT, at least you know it and no learning curve necessary!
    How do you like the MX-Sport? I understand the guts of the machine are the same and should work very similarly as far as land hunting. Its also lighter and supposedly van be used in the rain.....

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4478 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmenn View Post
    I completely agree, but don't often get any repeatable signal at that depth. As Ive said, just about all my finds have been at 6" or less. I think there is more out there that Im missing because the detector I have usually is not picking up coins at over 6". However from what Ive seen on Youtube, it seems that many detectors start to struggle at 10". I would like to find a detector that is not "iffy" and sporadic on a silver quarter at 10" but hits solid and most of the time.
    Most of the higher end detectors will hit solid on a silver quarter at 10" if you're in mild ground. It's when you get into highly mineralized ground where it can get iffy. YMMV, Depending on the degree of your mineralization.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    630 times
    This is just my two cents, I'm also not interested in detecting in rivers and waste deep water at the beach, but I did go with one that was water proof because I didn't want a trip wasted by rain. I used to have to put my coinmaster in a plastic bag when it started to rain. I do a lot of civil war camps and will search a creek bank if available and didn't want to worry if I accidentally dropped it into the water.One think you may want to consider is adding a bigger coil to what you already have, seem like your having good success but just want more depth.

us
    Pesc

Mar 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    Whites Treasure Pro, Tesoro Amigo 2
    274 times
    Metal Detecting
    Okay, here's my 2 zincolns. I have owned an Etrac, Explorers, Xterra 705's, XP Deus, Fisher F70, CZ 5's, High End Tesoro's, numerous White's detectors including MXT, DFX, 6T, Treasure Pro, Garrett 1500, I used an AT Pro for a couple of weeks that belonged to a friend so I can speak with experience on these machines. The depth you are going to get on these machines is influenced by so many variables that it would be very hard to say that any of these machines would hit 10" plus signals consistently with a correct ID. They might give you a signal that you would say, "I'm gonna dig that" but not likely to be consistently accurate. Again, those variables come into play. Is the target masked?, what kind of soil am I hunting in, is the target on edge, etc. To go out and put some coins in mild ground and remove all the masking signals, and get a detector to hit a 10" quarter and claim that's it will do that consistently is pretty far fetched. There are some very good detectors out there that will give you a lot of information but the best detector is the one that you know how to use and feel confident in. My Etrac probably had the best ID at depth of all the detectors that I have owned the problem is that I have arthritis and it hurt me to swing it for long periods of time and I hated using a harness. The Deus has some real raw power and would go deep but was erratic. The MXT was also a very deep machine. I found several deep coins with the DFX. The F70 did not meet up with my expectations because it would airtest really good but mine didn't do that well in the dirt, The AT Pro couldn't correctly ID targets consistently at depth. I am 64 years old and have no desire to be out digging 10-12" holes to find a silver coin that is more than likely gonna be valued at melt because dug coins do not fare well when it comes to coin grading (with a few exceptions). I prefer a detector that gives me good, consistent ID at the 6-8 inch range. If I miss a silver or two because I don't dig an iffy signal at 10 inches then so be it. My oldest US Coin that I have found was about 4 inches deep. The detector you own is basically the same as the Prizm 6T that was one of my favorite machines that I have owned. I found several wheats and silvers at substantial depths (8 inches plus) with it. Were the ID's iffy, yes but they were good enough for me to dig them. If you want to ID targets deep then my advice to you is to get a multiple frequency machine like the Etrac or a Whites V3i and not look back. You will need to work it slow and you will have a pretty considerable learning curve but you can be pretty confident that you have a capable machine. You can find these machines second hand if you watch for a good deal. It is just up to you to decide whether spending the money for a deeper machine is worth it. With all that said the biggest variable to finding older silver coins is location, location, location. I don't care what machine you are using, you more than likely are not going to find silver in areas that were not frequently used prior to 1965. Try to locate some older private property, get permission, and you will probably find some of that silver that you are looking for and you won't have to buy a more expensive machine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pesc
    robmenn and dsdigger like this.
    Whites Treasure Pro, Tesoro Amigo II, Lesche digging tools. Oldest US Coin 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter.
    www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect
    www.facebook.com/pescadoremetaldetecting

us
    Nov 2014
    Long Island, NY
    White’s Coinmaster GT
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pescadore View Post
    Okay, here's my 2 zincolns. I have owned an Etrac, Explorers, Xterra 705's, XP Deus, Fisher F70, CZ 5's, High End Tesoro's, numerous White's detectors including MXT, DFX, 6T, Treasure Pro, Garrett 1500, I used an AT Pro for a couple of weeks that belonged to a friend so I can speak with experience on these machines. The depth you are going to get on these machines is influenced by so many variables that it would be very hard to say that any of these machines would hit 10" plus signals consistently with a correct ID. They might give you a signal that you would say, "I'm gonna dig that" but not likely to be consistently accurate. Again, those variables come into play. Is the target masked?, what kind of soil am I hunting in, is the target on edge, etc. To go out and put some coins in mild ground and remove all the masking signals, and get a detector to hit a 10" quarter and claim that's it will do that consistently is pretty far fetched. There are some very good detectors out there that will give you a lot of information but the best detector is the one that you know how to use and feel confident in. My Etrac probably had the best ID at depth of all the detectors that I have owned the problem is that I have arthritis and it hurt me to swing it for long periods of time and I hated using a harness. The Deus has some real raw power and would go deep but was erratic. The MXT was also a very deep machine. I found several deep coins with the DFX. The F70 did not meet up with my expectations because it would airtest really good but mine didn't do that well in the dirt, The AT Pro couldn't correctly ID targets consistently at depth. I am 64 years old and have no desire to be out digging 10-12" holes to find a silver coin that is more than likely gonna be valued at melt because dug coins do not fare well when it comes to coin grading (with a few exceptions). I prefer a detector that gives me good, consistent ID at the 6-8 inch range. If I miss a silver or two because I don't dig an iffy signal at 10 inches then so be it. My oldest US Coin that I have found was about 4 inches deep. The detector you own is basically the same as the Prizm 6T that was one of my favorite machines that I have owned. I found several wheats and silvers at substantial depths (8 inches plus) with it. Were the ID's iffy, yes but they were good enough for me to dig them. If you want to ID targets deep then my advice to you is to get a multiple frequency machine like the Etrac or a Whites V3i and not look back. You will need to work it slow and you will have a pretty considerable learning curve but you can be pretty confident that you have a capable machine. You can find these machines second hand if you watch for a good deal. It is just up to you to decide whether spending the money for a deeper machine is worth it. With all that said the biggest variable to finding older silver coins is location, location, location. I don't care what machine you are using, you more than likely are not going to find silver in areas that were not frequently used prior to 1965. Try to locate some older private property, get permission, and you will probably find some of that silver that you are looking for and you won't have to buy a more expensive machine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pesc
    Thank you very much for your perspective. It’s nice to hear from someone with the experience of all those different machines. I was just looking a the new Minelab Equinox 600. It’s multi frequency, waterproof, lightweight and will retail for 650. There’s not to much field test info to chew on yet. But this looks like it might be a great option.....
    pescadore and fuzzy535 like this.

us
    Drew

Mar 2016
    San Diego, CA
    Whites Matrix M6 w/ 9.5” concentric coil, and eclipse 6x10 dd coil. Whites bullseye 140mm pin pointer.
    19 times
    I almost purchased AT Pro but after doing my research it isnt designed to work on wet beach. My Garrett GTAx does have salt illumination feature but it’s an old machine that badly needs calibration service. I need a good machine to replace my GTAx and I’ve just purchase the Whites M6, because it can do anything my GTAx can do. I was considering a Whites MX5 but I see it is no longer on the Whites product list, but the M6 still is and that must mean it’s still a great machine. There’s not much to have to mess with an M6 machine just turn on and put on recommended settings and hunt. Also, got to consider the machine frequency rating. The M6 operates at single 15Khz which in my opinion for the money that you pay for a mid range detector is hard to beat, plus it works on wet beach. If you don’t need a beach detector then something like a Treasure Pro for coin shooting is one I definitely considered. Take your time and decide what will meet your needs for your type of hunting, carefully do your home work on the machine your buying, and just buy it. Personally, if money is no objection I’d buy the top of the line machine regardless if I didn’t need the capabilities it would be nice to know you’ve got it when you do need it. From my research the best mid range Whites detectors are the M6 and next up MXT All Pro.
    Last edited by Drew32215; Feb 01, 2018 at 01:51 AM.
    dsdigger and pescadore like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links