Upgrade to the AT Pro, new White’s MX-7, or just keep the Coinmaster GT?

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I was hoping to get some good advice here. So I bought my first detector, a White’s Coinmaster GT, about three years ago. I have really enjoyed my time this far with it, but I’m now considering an upgrade. I enjoy mainly finding old coins. The majority of coins I’ve dug with the CMGT have been no deeper than 6 inches. Then recently I dug a really faint and iffy signal at about 10 inches. It turned out to be a silver quarter. I’m worried I’m missing these type of targets now and I’m looking to get more depth. However, after some research and YouTube watching it appears that other mid-level detectors also struggle at times at 10 inches.
My initial idea was to buy a used AT Pro on EBay. But then I went hunting with a friend who has an AT pro and had him run over some of my iffy signals. They sounded just as iffy on his machine. That day I ended up finding my first barber dime and V nickel in the same hole! That wasn’t even my best find. I also found my first reale!!! I was over the moon! My partner found nothing with the At pro. I guess it was just my day, however none of those coins were deeper than about 4-5 inches. Now I’m thinking, is there really gonna be a difference with the At pro? I’m not interested in taking my detector underwater so that aspect of the At pro doesn’t interest me. Then I was looking at the new White’s MX-7, which appears to me and PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong, to be essentially the same machine as the MX-Sport, with a different coil and not water proof, just a couple hundred bucks cheaper. There seems to be very little feedback so far on the MX7 and a little more on the MX-Sport which some are claiming gets great depth. Im wondering if the MX7 works the same on land, maybe this could be a good fit for me? Maybe stick with CMGT for a while longer, I don’t know I’m confused. I don’t want to make this investment to upgrade if the results will be only marginal at best. Any advice, especially feedback on the MX7 would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's your budget? Your Coinmaster is going to find at least 80% of what higher priced units will find. You'll have to decide if that extra 20% is worth the cost. The higher level machines generally offer more options, are more stable, and are easier to use than your machine, but, looks like you aren't doing too bad with it.

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's your budget? Your Coinmaster is going to find at least 80% of what higher priced units will find. You'll have to decide if that extra 20% is worth the cost. The higher level machines generally offer more options, are more stable, and are easier to use than your machine, but, looks like you aren't doing too bad with it.

I saw some nice bundle deals for the MX7 on eBay for 550. That would be my absolute max right now...and I don’t mind finding a good deal on a used machine either.

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all! I was hoping to get some good advice here. So I bought my first detector, a White’s Coinmaster GT, about three years ago. I have really enjoyed my time this far with it, but I’m now considering an upgrade. I enjoy mainly finding old coins. The majority of coins I’ve dug with the CMGT have been no deeper than 6 inches. Then recently I dug a really faint and iffy signal at about 10 inches. It turned out to be a silver quarter. I’m worried I’m missing these type of targets now and I’m looking to get more depth. However, after some research and YouTube watching it appears that other mid-level detectors also struggle at times at 10 inches.
My initial idea was to buy a used AT Pro on EBay. But then I went hunting with a friend who has an AT pro and had him run over some of my iffy signals. They sounded just as iffy on his machine. That day I ended up finding my first barber dime and V nickel in the same hole! That wasn’t even my best find. I also found my first reale!!! I was over the moon! My partner found nothing with the At pro. I guess it was just my day, however none of those coins were deeper than about 4-5 inches. Now I’m thinking, is there really gonna be a difference with the At pro? I’m not interested in taking my detector underwater so that aspect of the At pro doesn’t interest me. Then I was looking at the new White’s MX-7, which appears to me and PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong, to be essentially the same machine as the MX-Sport, with a different coil and not water proof, just a couple hundred bucks cheaper. There seems to be very little feedback so far on the MX7 and a little more on the MX-Sport which some are claiming gets great depth. Im wondering if the MX7 works the same on land, maybe this could be a good fit for me? Maybe stick with CMGT for a while longer, I don’t know I’m confused. I don’t want to make this investment to upgrade if the results will be only marginal at best. Any advice, especially feedback on the MX7 would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

I am not a fan of the the AT PRO at all back in 2009 I purchased two detectors one for my wife and one for myself I purchased an AT PRO for my wife and an X TERRA 705 for myself we owned a house in Ohio which was built in 1889 the house was on 3/4s of an acre of land i would have my wife detect ahead of me pretty much in the same line she would hit shallow targets down to around 6 inches I would go over the exact same areas she hit and I was digging mercs down to 10 inches with the 705 when I would get a beep from a target I would have her come back and go over the same target with the AT PRO and it would not even give an indication there was even a target there after we did that on several targets I finally figured out the AT PRO just could not see those deeper targets I still have both the X TERRA 705 and the AT PRO but the AT pro never sees much use the 705 is my go to detector when I coin hunt and to me is one of the most under rated detectors on the market still to this day I have never felt the need to up grade to something better can not comment on the MX SPORT as I have never used one my opinion the AT PRO is and has always been one of the most over rated detectors on the market even though my wife and I did dig some nice silvers with it none of them were ever deeper then 6 inches the X Terra 705 on the other hand is a pretty deep machine once you learn to use it and all of its great features and rite now the price of the X TERRA 705 at around $449 new is a great buy

Last edited:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you considered a Teknetics Patriot? It's the same thing as the fisher F70. $399

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a fan of the the AT PRO at all back in 2009 I purchased two detectors one for my wife and one for myself I purchased an AT PRO for my wife and an X TERRA 705 for myself we owned a house in Ohio which was built in 1889 the house was on 3/4s of an acre of land i would have my wife detect ahead of me pretty much in the same line she would hit shallow targets down to around 6 inches I would go over the exact same areas she hit and I was digging mercs down to 10 inches with the 705 when I would get a beep from a target I would have her come back and go over the same target with the AT PRO and it would not even give an indication there was even a target there after we did that on several targets I finally figured out the AT PRO just could not see those deeper targets I still have both the X TERRA 705 and the AT PRO but the AT pro never sees much use the 705 is my go to detector when I coin hunt and to me is one of the most under rated detectors on the market still to this day I have never felt the need to up grade to something better can not comment on the MX SPORT as I have never used one my opinion the AT PRO is and has always been one of the most over rated detectors on the market even though my wife and I did dig some nice silvers with it none of them were ever deeper then 6 inches the X Terra 705 on the other hand is a pretty deep machine once you learn to use it and all of its great features and rite now the price of the X TERRA 705 at around $449 new is a great buy

Thanks for your feedback on the AT Pro. I was wondering myself if the ATP May be overrated. I don’t know much about the X-Terra’s but I’m going to look into it. After a quick search I see that it the 705 utilizes 3 different coils to operate at three different frequencies. Did you use the low frequency coil for those deep coins?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your feedback on the AT Pro. I was wondering myself if the ATP May be overrated. I don’t know much about the X-Terra’s but I’m going to look into it. After a quick search I see that it the 705 utilizes 3 different coils to operate at three different frequencies. Did you use the low frequency coil for those deep coins?

I was lucky when I purchased my 705 I found a used one that was like new that came with three coils one coil with each frequency that the 705 can run in but I ended up trading the 3 KHz coil for a 6 inch 18.75 KHz coil which I have regretted ever since but honestly the coil I use the most is the 5x10 18.75 KHz coil but while in Ohio I used the standard coil 7.5 KHz to find almost all of the deep silvers that I found the deepest silver though was found with the 5x10 HF coil as was my best find ever which was not found in the yard of that house but underneath of it in a huge crawl space that once you were in the crawl space you had plenty of room to swing a detector the floor of the crawl space was dirt and it was an area approximately ten feet wide and 20-25 feet long with an 8-9 foot ceiling in it I am not one to post up things I find or brag to people about things I find as I fill it is really no ones business but mine but what I found in the vary back corner of that crawl space six inches below the surface was a box that someone had buried that was full of all kinds of coins lots of silvers and other coins but there was also 12-2.5 dollar 1800s gold pieces inside of it I still have the box and all of its contents for me I do not know at this point what I could find that would ever top that find unless it would be a two pound chunk of gold

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of detecting do you do? If yiu want to do some water detecting then the ATPRO is
A good consideration. You should be able to find some great deals on a used one, I have seen many on the market as a result of AT Max release people selling their ATPros to get Max.

7F2F76D5-5AD9-48B7-B451-93C76A6BD48D.jpeg
We are pretty much like these kids looking at toys they want.

Good luck

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What type of detecting do you do? If yiu want to do some water detecting then the ATPRO is
A good consideration. You should be able to find some great deals on a used one, I have seen many on the market as a result of AT Max release people selling their ATPros to get Max.

View attachment 1542051
We are pretty much like these kids looking at toys they want.

Good luck

he stated he was not interested in water hunting capabilities

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
one thing I will say if you do consider the X Terra go to the minelab site and sign up and then download Randy Horton's E Book understanding your X Terra its a free E BOOK and choked full of all kinds of info on all of the X Terra's vary informative

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the MX7 or know anyone who has. Might be great, but, I'd want to see it in action before I bought one. Unless you can find a great deal on a used Explorer or E-trac, I'd take a good look at the Xterra 705, the Fisher F19, and if you can squeeze a few more bucks, the F75. All capable and proven winners around your price range.

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered a Teknetics Patriot? It's the same thing as the fisher F70. $399

No I haven’t. I’ll look into it though. What kind of depth have you had with it? That’s a low price. I think I paid 350 for my CMGT.

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky when I purchased my 705 I found a used one that was like new that came with three coils one coil with each frequency that the 705 can run in but I ended up trading the 3 KHz coil for a 6 inch 18.75 KHz coil which I have regretted ever since but honestly the coil I use the most is the 5x10 18.75 KHz coil but while in Ohio I used the standard coil 7.5 KHz to find almost all of the deep silvers that I found the deepest silver though was found with the 5x10 HF coil as was my best find ever which was not found in the yard of that house but underneath of it in a huge crawl space that once you were in the crawl space you had plenty of room to swing a detector the floor of the crawl space was dirt and it was an area approximately ten feet wide and 20-25 feet long with an 8-9 foot ceiling in it I am not one to post up things I find or brag to people about things I find as I fill it is really no ones business but mine but what I found in the vary back corner of that crawl space six inches below the surface was a box that someone had buried that was full of all kinds of coins lots of silvers and other coins but there was also 12-2.5 dollar 1800s gold pieces inside of it I still have the box and all of its contents for me I do not know at this point what I could find that would ever top that find unless it would be a two pound chunk of gold

Wow that is the find of a lifetime! Nice one! So what would you say the max depth would be on a quarter?

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing I will say if you do consider the X Terra go to the minelab site and sign up and then download Randy Horton's E Book understanding your X Terra its a free E BOOK and choked full of all kinds of info on all of the X Terra's vary informative

Thanks, I would probably need it, seems like there might be a steep learning curve going from a White’s to a Minelab...

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he stated he was not interested in water hunting capabilities

Sorry missed that. But I still think you can get a steal on a used ATPRO now.

06AE918B-71F3-4241-82AD-6BC9A93FFB66.jpeg

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an M6...it's a coin hog but, drizzly rainy days it sucks to hunt with a bread wrapper on your machine. Also, you never know, you might want to wade around in a swimmin' hole and snag a few rings. Get one that is water proof...you won't regret it.

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an M6...it's a coin hog but, drizzly rainy days it sucks to hunt with a bread wrapper on your machine. Also, you never know, you might want to wade around in a swimmin' hole and snag a few rings. Get one that is water proof...you won't regret it.

No swimming holes where I’m at in Long Island. Just the ocean and LI sound.... the environment here I just don’t think is very conducive for underwater hunting...

OP
OP
R

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the MX7 or know anyone who has. Might be great, but, I'd want to see it in action before I bought one. Unless you can find a great deal on a used Explorer or E-trac, I'd take a good look at the Xterra 705, the Fisher F19, and if you can squeeze a few more bucks, the F75. All capable and proven winners around your price range.

I don’t think I’m quite ready to spring for an E-trac yet, but I really like what I’m seeing so far in the X-Terra 705, most people that I’ve seen so far having nothing but good things to say about it say that it gets great depth....maybe. I hope to get some more input for others here. But thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread