CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me or do most sites on the internet that discuss detectors in general, seem to prefer XP and Garrett with little mention of Whites. I just googled "Best Detectors"and whites wasn't on any of the Top 10 lists.

That’s because Garrett has a better social media team and a very smart marketing team that “sponsors” YouTube Metal Detectorists. As you know YouTube is owned by Google thus increasing the search ranking of those that are featured in YouTube Videos.

Do a search for “whites” detectors on YouTube and do one for “Garrett’s”. I think you know who has a larger presence.

Now... That being said it does not mean that because there are more videos from one over the other one is a superior over the other.

Do a small poll on this site and you will notice substantially different outcome. Tesoro, Fisher, Minelab, Nokta are loved by many yet the rank very low on the # of YouTube videos available for view.

A4F33D7B-8D82-4A87-BCCC-A293E94DDFE7.jpeg

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured its got to be something like that. there is no doubt the Spectra V3i is one of the best all-purpose detectors out there. I wish id just see it discussed more by those sites that compare detectors.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it just me or do most sites on the internet that discuss detectors in general, seem to prefer XP and Garrett with little mention of Whites. I just googled "Best Detectors"and whites wasn't on any of the Top 10 lists.
You just learned to never trust google results, let alone the internet. Its no different than any other marketing scam, dont pay you dont get featured.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just learned to never trust google results, let alone the internet. Its no different than any other marketing scam, dont pay you dont get featured.

Im not emphasizing Google Searches. its common sense that those who pay get to the top. Im referring specifically to Metal Detecting sites. They hardly ever mention Whites.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's makes very good machines. I have owned three. My main back up machine, and my primary machine for years has been a Tesoro. If any company decides to use youtube to promote their products, it generally does well for them. It's all about the press, and the perception. Yes, a lot of these folks get paid by various manufacturers to promote one kind of machine or another. Nothing wrong with that. But with all things, their time in the sunlight is always limited. There is always someone younger, better looking, faster talking or whatever to replace any advertisement you've ever seen. For instance, does anyone remember a commercial on tv say for 1994? I certainly don't. You might.

I have made several commercial films. ANY youtube video, or any video found anywhere else can be manufactured to allow the filmmaker to do absolutely anything they want. With modern cameras and modern editing and effects programs, you could have a live chicken come right out of the just dug hole, followed by the detectorist pulling out a LIT candle! (Note to self, that would a gas to actually make!) I inwardly (and sometimes outwardly) laugh at some of the videos I have watched. You never know if they are real or made up. I could even make a video of a couple of us digging in what appears to be the dirt outside or at the beach, and film the thing in my BASEMENT. Watch the videos, enjoy them, in God we trust, in videos we do not trust. I wouldn't buy a machine due to a google search or any video, anywhere, anytime. At this stage of my "career", some 40+ years long now, I test drive any machine before I buy it. No test drive, no buy it.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Whites for years and it's paid for its self many times. I was going to buy the v3i because of its amazing reviews. Several of the reviews stated that it had a pretty good learning curve so I went with the ATGold because at the time I didn't have a lot of time to hunt and truly get to use the machine enough to learn it.. I think you hear more about the common machines because most people dont hunt enought to really get to learn the higher end machines. Its hard to argue with the success of the higher end machines but it seems the members who own them are much more knowledgeable and spent much more time using the high end machines.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record I love my Whites DTX it’s served me well and it made numerous great finds. We have been through a lot together that’s why I never had the heart to sell her.

Cheers

7463EFA0-7C4A-4457-BC43-761B1C2D7979.jpeg

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I'm so tired of hearing about the AT series machines I could vomit. I will never buy one just because they've been shoved down my throat for so long.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok then, I will not be putting DiamondDan down for a preorder for the forthcoming AT Max Gold Pro.

I hate to say it, but US detector manufacturers in general seem to be resting on their laurels of late and are not innovating like Minelab, Nokta, and XP. The latest offerings by Whites, First Texas, and Garrett are really just repackaged or upgraded versions of existing detector models rather than true innovations (Whites MX7 is just a non-watertight version of the MX Sport which was a reimagined MXT, we already discussed/mocked the AT Max and its brethren, and First Texas' latest, the solid value Patriot Series is really just a rehash of the venerable Fisher F70.)

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the sheeple are buying why invest in R&R

I am quite sure you are familiar with the famous story

4F6AB778-F686-46B9-8D4B-E353C0606C8E.jpeg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it just me or do most sites on the internet that discuss detectors in general, seem to prefer XP and Garrett with little mention of Whites. I just googled "Best Detectors"and whites wasn't on any of the Top 10 lists.[/Q
powrsurg, hit me up, I may have some info for you on Whites MD's, if you don't already know. I'm a White's person myself.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with a used white's in the 70's. That's what got me hooked. I bought a DFX in the early 2000's and got serious. I loved my DFX, matter of fact, just sold it to a friend. I bought a V3i in 2013 and man did I love that machine. Had some health issues and sold it. Now I have bought another V3i and am really getting back into the hobby. I also have an AT Max that I bought for water hunting. There is no comparison, in my view between the 2 machines. I love my White's. Their support is also second to none. Just my 2 cents.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always seem to come back to Whites detectors no matter what else I try. They just work for me and I feel like I know what to expect from them. Their customer service is outstanding and they make a good product.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a long time user of White's machines and was very successful with them. To me, their detector line has become a bit stale. Don't get me wrong, they make a good product and are a great company, but, they haven't been all that innovative lately. Their flagship detector, the V3i, is competent, highly adjustable, but, heavy, not waterproof, or particularly user friendly. I'm sure they have things on the drawing board. We'll just have to wait an see what they come up with.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of detectorists are disappointed in Garrett and their "brand new" AT Max. Barely more than an AT Gold or Pro, regardless of what the fanboys say.

I also think White's took a punch in the mouth with their MX Sport debacle, and how they tried to cover up their build and sound quality issues with the initial production runs. (Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I own 5 detectors and three of them are White's. This is for a number of reasons including (but not limited to) superior customer support and the fact that they are American made.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I will also vouch for Whites customer service. Being three years old, my out of warranty coinmaster was acting up. The P/P button wouldn't work and show depth. After talking with the rep, she said "we know what is wrong with it" Send it back with a check for $20" How can you do that I asked? She replied, "that's what we do" So I did. Cost 20 something to send it. Turns out they replaced the button, put on a new coil, and tested it. They are tops in my book!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread