jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went today for hunt I decide to go to old irrigation canal in old mesilla where I had good finds before, I wasn't having much luck just old clad , I decide to work myself back to my truck and I noticed a old cottonwood tree and at the bottom was hole. I put coil in there and got a 12-46/47 signal, put my pinpointer in and started beeping . By now my heart started to pound, I put my hand and feel glass and then rim, holy crap I got myself a cache, ahhh no old broken bottle and okld beer can , dang it!!!! 20180201_114620.jpg

Upvote 0

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's usually how those go, but at least you are thinking about the possibility of finding a cache -- a surprising number of metal detectorists don't think to hunt for them or pass the big, "trash," iron, and overload signals. I always wonder how many caches have been passed over when someone thinks it has to be trash rather than digging it up...

Keep digging those types of signals and one day you’ll probably be rewarded! -- Just be sure keep your heart beating when you do. :-)

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling brother. Thanx for sharing.

You’ll get the next one.

D828F95F-126E-4E82-B41D-FE20C2833E56.jpeg 2941D4C1-3B91-4D46-AB61-A53D6ACB3449.jpeg

Feeling you get when your coin cache turns out to be an aluminum can from 1973

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel most cache's are just stumbled upon by accident at least thats how I found mine was not even expecting it when I found it and it was in a place most would not even believe or think about detecting

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I feel most cache's are just stumbled upon by accident at least thats how I found mine was not even expecting it when I found it and it was in a place most would not even believe or think about detecting

Tell us more...inquiring minds want to know!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tell us more...inquiring minds want to know!

well I have stated this in another post I am not one that post up things I have found or for that matter even tell anyone while I am talking to them in person as I do not feel it is anyone's business but my own

but the house my wife and I owned in Ohio had a huge crawl space under it myself I would call it a basement but the crawl space was attached to a basement and the only way into it was through a block wall that had a hole in the top of it the crawl space had a dirt floor in and had a 8-10 foot ceiling in it the area was approximately 10 foot by 25 foot so it was plenty of room to swing a detector once you were inside of it it was a really odd feeling when you were inside of it also I hung up a light over the wall to light the area up and started detecting the crawl space the house I am talking about was built in 1889 and was one of the first two homes built in that area and is actually what got me into metal detecting the only info my wife and I could ever find out about the property and the house at the time was there had been two bank robbers arrested in it in the 1950s and believe me we researched for months before purchasing detectors,and like I stated the age of the property and house is why we purchased detectors but anyway I went into the crawl space and detected it and in the furthest back corner from where you entered the crawl space I got a hit but the numbers on the detector I was using were jumping all over the place and was almost giving you a over load hit but I dug where I was getting the signals from it was also saying it was down around 8 to 10 inches deep I started digging and down around 5- 6 inches I hit a wood object and when I kept digging I realized it was a wooden box I was shaking pretty hard at this point got it dug out and realized it had a hinged lid hinges were still in good condition but looked old I opened it and could not even believe it it was full of all kinds of coins I decided that rather than try to see what everything was inside of the box I would wait until I got out of the crawl space and take it upstairs so I got back out of the space after handing the box to my wife and her and I took it up stairs out of the basement we took all the contents out and placed it on our kitchen table there was all kinds of silvers and various other coins even foreign coins but the best coins in the box was 12-2.5 dollar 1800s gold pieces.
We still have the box and all of its contents.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh, WOW, thanks for sharing. It's those kinds of stories that keep a lot of us going in whatever we search for and in my case is also major form of exercise.
Cool!!!!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is what I meant in my initial response to this post you just never know what you are going to find or where you are going to find it believe me that find was the last thing I was expecting when I went into that crawl space and when I opened the box upon finding it in that crawl space I thought my wife was going to have to call the paramedics for me luckily she did not and to this day I have never found anything like that find but I keep hoping I also do not know what it would take for me at this point to top it unless it would be that two pound chunk of gold I keep searching for but I do not know if for me that would even top it that find was found in the end of 2009 or the beginning of 2010 I have found a lot of things just none to top that one for me

It always tickles me when some people post up if there are cache's out there and I know they are the funny thing is I always felt after that find there was more there I spent 4 years at that property and dug lots of silvers and clad but never found another cache like that

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out. That Etrac is a great machine. When it says 12-47,, you have to investigate.
Maybe next time it will be the real deal.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guys in the 50's & 60's found a lot more caches than what are found today because they were using BFO's and had to dig about every signal since they didn't have discrimination. The treasure mags were full of found caches then and you hardly ever hear of them now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions