Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Lets discuss hunted out spots giving up more goodies.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by IDXMonster View Post
    Definition of “NOTHING” please!
    I can think of one place that gave us about 150 coins. It was a picnic site that had been in use from the 1880s to the mid 1920s. So the NEWEST coins we got were mid 1920s. It had never had an structures there, so nails was not an issue. And since it pre-dated all aluminum, clad, etc.... there was nothing to stop us from strip-mining. And depth was not an issue (so having a "deeper seeking" machine is not going to net more targets). It has just been cow-pasture chaparral land since the picnics discontinued, so the ONLY "junk" was an occasional bullet.

When we first researched it out, we'd each get 4 to 7-ish coins each (barbers, early wheaties, V nickels, seateds, even a $5 gold popped up). As time went on, it went down to 2 to 4-ish coins each. Then eventually down to 1 coin each. Finally .... it started to be very hard work (the entire center grounds were silent and sterile). So we'd have to work further into the peripheries to find outlying flukes. Pretty soon THOSE areas became silent and sterile. Eventually, we began to come back empty handed. It simply wasn't worth it anymore.

So to me, that's "nothing". It simply gets to the point where your time is better spent elsewhere, finding new sites. I would pity the poor fellow who finds the same mention in the history books that we found, and researches to find this site. They would be mystified as to the utter silence.

Or how about beach erosion cuts ? They have a defined # of targets in them. And once they're worked out, you have to wait for another day's tide/swell to come scour our more sand. If you're Johnny come lately (and someone else beat you to the cut), you can hunt all you want, but the available deposit by mother nature that day got cleaned up.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Feb 03, 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    BTW: I would not disagree that some places will never be "worked out". Example: Old stage stops that are a bed of iron nails that mask. Or parks where a layer of foil, zinc, etc.... blankets the top. And/or parks where there's an un-ending depth strata of deeper and deeper coins (such that each generation of "deeper seeker" machines gets a "bit more" and a "bit more".
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    400 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well said above Tom. I’m of the same thinking...the better the targets I’ve found at a place the more leeway I give it till I move on. I think that’s about everybody,to varying degrees.
    5 dollar gold you say? Someday man...someday. And what a day that will be!
    Tom_in_CA, HighVDI and WaterScoop like this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2778 times
    Metal Detecting
    This is a list I have witnessed or heard can have an impact on finding new signals in worked over areas.

EMI changes- I have a site that I can not got over 50% sens. on my machines during the week but can go full throttle on the weekend with the businesses being shut down for 2 days!

Different machine/coil/detector settings- This one I'm sure comes to everyone's mind.

Ground conditions change- coins on edge that turn when soils move can then be detectable. Cultivated field brings deep targets up to suface and or moves non ferrous target away from trash. Ground with loads of nails will tend to false more when ground is wet but more depth with the lack of such iron. Opposite with dry soil.

Swing angle/speed/coil on the ground.

Then the I heard.....

Moon phases? Lol. Never know.

Masking/silent masking- hard to know what you're missing if you don't know it exists in the first place.

Can anyone add more to this? Could be something for people to try and change up at old sites.
    sprailroad and Loco-Digger like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi vdi: the factors you mention in post #19 are factors in cases where more depth is needed . Such that minerals and/or emi affect and thus prohibit you from reaching. But there are locations to which getting "more depth" is not reaching additional targets. Ie.: nothing is beyond, say ... 6". (like in a desert or dry terrain). And where a given machine is AMPLY reaching the depth.

And you also mention nails/iron masking. This is a true factor when such conditions exist. But there *could* be some hunt locations where nails/masking isn't an issue. Because perhaps there was never a structure or building @ the location . Like the beach, or a country picnic site, etc....

As for moon-phases, I dunno. I'm not a superstitious type, haha

Charter Member
    us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    568 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have been hunting the SAME place for ahhh 35 years and still find . last time i was there my hunting buddy scored a NICE silver pocket watch a foot (12") deep in the most hunted part of the field . it was plowed last about 15 years ago . the first 5 years i went there i found only one wheatie but i NEVER GIVE UP .they plowed the field and the coins kept comming .Indians ,barbers v nickels and shields along with many seated coins. for years i could walk back and forth and pick up Indians EVERY time I can remember driving home one day with 16 or 17 different OBSOLETE coins on the passenger seat and almost drove off the road a couple of times looking at them this place was a dream come true and the funny this is i was told it had been hunted out .after HUNDREDS OF INDIANS and many many obsolete silver . I STILL GO BACK TWO OR THREE TIMES A YEAR AND GET LUCKY..SO I think the next time it gets plowed it will give up more ..i have had 2 or 3 places like that in my 40 years and keep looking for another and I know i will find it..its what i live for...

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2778 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Hi vdi: the factors you mention in post #19 are factors in cases where more depth is needed . Such that minerals and/or emi affect and thus prohibit you from reaching. But there are locations to which getting "more depth" is not reaching additional targets. Ie.: nothing is beyond, say ... 6". (like in a desert or dry terrain). And where a given machine is AMPLY reaching the depth.

And you also mention nails/iron masking. This is a true factor when such conditions exist. But there *could* be some hunt locations where nails/masking isn't an issue. Because perhaps there was never a structure or building @ the location . Like the beach, or a country picnic site, etc....

As for moon-phases, I dunno. I'm not a superstitious type, haha
    I'd agree with a couple but not all that are listed. A coil change to a sharpshooter type may be needed for a trashy area where more separation is needed instead of depth. Or, masked targets could be shallow. Coins on edge that are moderate depth could be passed over by a quick coil sweep too. It's obvious this is a common scenario and I do think some inexperienced hunters would literally pass on some properties just because the owner said the ground had been detected in the past.
    sprailroad and Loco-Digger like this.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    High-VDI, good topic. You are challenging the "no spot is ever 'hunted out' " notion. And challenging the assertion of "hunted out", based on examples of places deemed to be "hunted out" that ...... drum roll .... gave up more targets. Hence supposedly disproving the notion that any place can be "hunted out".

Have I understood the tone/intention of your post so far ? If so:

Then if someone could go back to a supposedly "hunted out" spot and get more stuff, then guess what ? It wasn't really "HUNTED OUT" in the first place. So the mistake is in allocations/definitions. NOT in the question of "is any place ever 'hunted out' " or not.

If someone can give an example of a supposed hunted out spot, that, .... in retrospect .... gave up more targets, then by definition: That merely means: It wasn't "hunted out".

I can think of places where you WILL INDEED knock yourself silly for NOTHING.
    I tell ya Tom, you must have the sharpest blade for splitting hairs known to man. I read every one of your post.
    WaterScoop likes this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1080 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I agree with HighVDI in that deeper targets are exposed to a small tip of the electrical field cone and an inch off could miss a deep target. In hunted out spots, it would make sense to use bigger butterfly coils and very small sweep increments to minimize missing the deep targets. I have same issues on beach where I have repeatedly hit it hard and while the coin count does drop over time I'm amazed that I have missed so many targets and it emphasizes the need for small sweep increments.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13017 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    A couple weeks ago now I dug a Confederate buckle. We had been digging the farm for over a year, and frankly, targets were getting scarce. If you did find something it was in a grouping of other things we simply walked around previously. I got additional permission to dig the grassy areas, and this came out within an hour. Now I can't get a signal anymore. That's just how it goes.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17707 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Let me see,, moisture content, ground mineralization, depth, close proximity to ferrous metals, size of target, target composition, position of target, ground movement due to freezing & thawing, detector capabilities, your capabilities, and angle of approach, and a degree of luck.
    There is also something called, the "Halo Effect",, this can grow, (a tiny bit), with each passing year. A smaller target, in the ground for 150 years, can suddenly become visible to your detector. It can appear as a larger sized target because the soil surrounding it is affected by the target's composition. The search area is not hunted out because it still contains targets. They just aren't visible to the detector being used,, YET.
    Last edited by against the wind; Feb 04, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cylbill View Post
    .... it was plowed last about 15 years ago ....
    For plowed ag. fields, sure. It's *possible* that recurrent annual plowing brings something to the surface, or turns an "on-edge" target flat, etc...

BUT: 1) what about non-plowed fields ? Then none of this applies, and 2) talk to any British UK hunter about certain fields that *used* to be favorites. And you'll find that .... sure ..... they RUSHED back to them after each seasonal plowing. And ... sure got more each time (that got "revealed"). But after 10 or 15 yrs, if you talk to those guys about those fields, they will be the first to tell you that there was/is a continuing diminishing curve of return ratios. Eventually, not even plowing "brings up more targets". In those cases, they start to rely on the plowing that's from some different crop like potatoes (where ...... instead of 3' foot deep, it requires 5' deep, or whatever).

In other words, even when you factor plowing, there is still a law of diminishing returns. It's not "endless"
    cudamark and sprailroad like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    I'd agree with a couple but not all that are listed. A coil change to a sharpshooter type may be needed for a trashy area where more separation is needed instead of depth. Or, masked targets could be shallow. Coins on edge that are moderate depth could be passed over by a quick coil sweep too. It's obvious this is a common scenario and I do think some inexperienced hunters would literally pass on some properties just because the owner said the ground had been detected in the past.
    But this just assumes masking an/or depth scenarios. What if none of those factors are present ? There are hunt types where neither of those factors are an issue.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    .... splitting hairs ... .
    Nope. Not "splitting hairs". Just "been there done that". 43-ish years, and 100's of sites (many virgin when we found them). And gone back with every new machine known to man. There is NOT an "endless supply" via the "no site is ever worked out" mantra.

Would love to "turn you loose" on a few of our sites, to see how much stuff you find .

Oh sure, not all. There's some parks or iron ridden sites that ... given enough time & determination and new tech ... sure. But I can think of others that .... no dice.
    sprailroad likes this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    4736 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hey High VDI.
    Tip 1: sort of triangulate in your head where the concentration of good targets were found and reswing this area but extremely slowly. Try to eek out even the smallest chirps and dig any signal in this target area that is small and consistent.
    Tip 2: Where in this site have you not hit before? Tall weed area, try the barrel technique and flatten those suckers. Briars and old bushes, time to start pushing into these areas to uncover more virgin ground. Maybe hunt the areas closer to the street that you have avoided because of modern trash. Avoided a hillside, time to hit it, wear cleats.
    Tip 3: Your kicking butt out there, time to do some more research and door knocking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links