Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Lets discuss hunted out spots giving up more goodies.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2887 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    Hey High VDI.
    Tip 1: sort of triangulate in your head where the concentration of good targets were found and reswing this area but extremely slowly. Try to eek out even the smallest chirps and dig any signal in this target area that is small and consistent.
    Tip 2: Where in this site have you not hit before? Tall weed area, try the barrel technique and flatten those suckers. Briars and old bushes, time to start pushing into these areas to uncover more virgin ground. Maybe hunt the areas closer to the street that you have avoided because of modern trash. Avoided a hillside, time to hit it, wear cleats.
    Tip 3: Your kicking butt out there, time to do some more research and door knocking.
    It's really not so much being unhappy with my finds so to speak. It's more along the lines of signals that just apear out of nowhere. This particular spot.....which we just talked about a couple days ago, literally gave up two non ferrous signals in a place where I officially no longer get them. After pounding this section of grass probably over a dozen times these two large cents were dug.....the same night. Minutes between each. Couple days later one more. Could just be one of those flukes of the hobby. I'll take it though! Lol.

You're right about the door knocking. Location is everything.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Let’s for this example pretend that the machine you own is the best there is and the best that ever was and there never will be another one like it ever again (I did say pretend)

I am a firm believer that a machine is very important but too many rest on the laurels of the glory that the machine is everything. especially if it made the cover of a magazine, won a few awards or some YouTube star is endorsing it.

I have been very successful at producing quality finds from what others call “hunted out areas” by focusing on research and technique more then expecting my detector to do all the work for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023F4F83-F689-4AFE-BCF2-89B4A8947A2F.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1546089

Here are some of my favorite ways to hit what others call “Hunted out areas”

Research older aerial maps and older topographical maps vs. newer maps to see and locate
    Anomalies like:

Vegetation growth or die off
    Dirt roads
    Buildings

Compare multiple,layers of time at once and even overlay topo and street over time.

Hunt when the ground is wet you will get more depth and be amazed what your detector can “see” in the wet solid that it wasn’t able to ”see” in the dry/drier soil
    Hunt the same area with different frequencies different frequencies see different things differently.
    Hunt trashy areas with a 4-6” sniper coil( too many people are lazy and want to go deep and cover a lot of ground fast with a monster coil while the trash masks the treasure.)

Change your grid hunt pattern (too many people I see go up and down and left to right I hardly see anyone hunt diagonally)

Now imagine that the square is 100 ft on each side.

Name:	C1186B77-E0FD-4DD3-9FCE-57ECBACBE22C.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	1546085

I can’t tell you how presently shocked I was with the awesome results I got the first time I hunted diagonally right after I hunted parallel.

Also hunt in a spiral pattern(I do this on sand or ground conditions that allow me dragging a scoop to leave a trail behind me)(dont get dizzy..LOL)

Name:	27A1602C-22D4-4FA4-9C93-2E5B5534157E.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1546087

So in recap, I love a great machine as I am sure most of you do as well however
    I love my research and technique a lot more.

Name:	89CA6D39-8D2F-4886-A10E-B08872FAF252.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	1546088
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2887 times
    Metal Detecting
    Another example last evening. There is a business a stones throw from my house that used to sell milk and ice cream. Found probably 20 silvers from this 40'x40' yard.

I've been to this spot I'd bet 40-50 times...lol. the neighbors think I'm a loon. Anyways. I tried just one of the variables in this thread and I snuck out a very nice but quick signal in between some modern trash. About 7 inches under the suface was this 42 washington quarter. Shortly after it seemed like Emi became an issue so I backed my sens. All the way down to 59. Got another high tone that was a little on the weaker side. Ended up being a 67' copper penny about the depth of the Garrett carrot. So, actually.....sweep speed and sens. changes brought a Couple more coin signals out of nowhere.

Name:	20180206_084417.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	1546706

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    776 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I went to a hunted out soccer field yesterday, I found $2.35 in clad and a silver button with an Oyster inlay. Going back today if I don't get rained out. I hunted the very fringes of the back of the field and the newest clad I found was 1975 and that's out of 22 coins so I know they been there awhile.. I have two strips about 10' wide by 300 yards I still need to cover. Based on the other coins I hope to find some silver
    HighVDI likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    The way I hit my yard for the first three months I hit it with the AT PRO simply because the AT PRO did not see the deeper targets I cleared the yard of all shallow targets with it I know most will be saying in their heads how does he know the AT PRO did not see the deeper targets but I will tell you it does not I know this because my wife used it ahead of me both of us detecting her with the AT PRO and me with the X TERRA 705 she would go over the same area ahead of me I would get a beep on a target and before digging it I would have her come back with the AT PRO and sweep the target and the AT PRO would not see the target if it was deeper than 6 inches I was hitting targets with the 705 that the AT PRO would not hit but any how what we did was clear all the shallow targets first then we re hit it but we used stakes and that orange tape surveyors use and we grided off the yard and hit every inch of it multiple time over a four year period I threw all the clad in a plastic 1 1/2 gallon jug and kept the silvers and other items we dug separated out we ended up digging over $300 in clad out of that yard but I still to this day feel there was more to be found there like I stated we just never got the coil over it or it was to deep for either detector.
    This is exactly my same experience with the AT Pro, (hence why I sold it). I called it the 6 Inch wonder!

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    1449 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I found a 1952 some at a 1890s schoolhouse on county propriety near my childhood home. I had hunted there many times, but I’m a little better at it now.

The dime was 10 ft from the front door, 4 inches deep. It had a weird tone, but something I’d definitely always want to dig.i have seen many other Detectors’s holes here too.

Goes to show you About the supposedly hunted out spot .
    HighVDI and Loco-Digger like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13621 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    PullTabPete likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    bolle

Sep 2014
    W. Nevada / N. CA
    XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
    2198 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    We will actually move the top 3-6 inches of soil then go over it all again. Lots of nice finds over areas we have done time and time again. Heck we have even "dug out" areas where some of our best stuff has come from....... Like Loco mentioned as well; different angles have done us well in the past also. It's just darn luck.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    We might not be able to take it with us; but at least we can enjoy it after finding it!!!

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2887 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've dug 3 more largies, a handful of flat buttons and a shield nickel from this spot since posting this. Something that will always intrigue me about the hobby.

us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    683 times
    Metal Detecting
    "no place is ever hunted out?" Have seen that notion pretty often on the forums. My own observation leans toward not completely hunted out, but often pretty darn sparse requiring a lot of time and persistence to turn up decent targets. Another thought -- some places may never had many decent targets in the first place.
    luvsdux
    basque-man and searching 4 like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8600 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    I've dug 3 more largies, a handful of flat buttons and a shield nickel from this spot since posting this. Something that will always intrigue me about the hobby.
    Well ...... then that means that if that spot was called "hunted out" before, that it wasn't "hunted out" before. Thus not a case of negating the notion of "hunted out" spots. But rather, merely a case of a spot that was NOT "hunted out".

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13238 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Here are some more items from yesterday that were dug from a Civil War site that has been pounded since the 1960's. Every type of machine known to God and man has seen action there. After the January freeze and thaw, these came out. A few were easy targets to locate, a few just squeakers. Most were found with the Tesoro Cibola which is a turn and go machine. They were apparently there all along, I had walked over all of them more than once, or twice or three times. You never know. The Deus pulled out the little lead pieces. I switched back and forth with the machines during the day. There was NO vegetation, its the end of winter and the soil was just plain wet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	1555189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg 
ID:	1555190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	1555191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	1555192

Charter Member
    us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    587 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't care who or ho good you are when you swing it for hours on end YOU get sloppy , only takes a sloppy pattern or a patch of high grass or twig to swing it a little bit wide...AND MISS A TARGET... it's that simple as that....even the great and powerful equinox ...ain't gonna find it if you don't ...SWING OVER IT...thats a fact..

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2887 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cylbill View Post
    I don't care who or ho good you are when you swing it for hours on end YOU get sloppy , only takes a sloppy pattern or a patch of high grass or twig to swing it a little bit wide...AND MISS A TARGET... it's that simple as that....even the great and powerful equinox ...ain't gonna find it if you don't ...SWING OVER IT...thats a fact..
    Honestly, I sense some sarcasm about the Minelab but I still haven't seen anything from it that my other detectors wouldn't do.

I agree too. Some days I am just more in tune and focused than others! I do think, however.....that there is way more to it than that. For instance say a coin on edge that turned to 45° after a frost. I think that's what happened at this same spot Sunday when I got my 7th copper from here!
    3cylbill likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2887 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Well ...... then that means that if that spot was called "hunted out" before, that it wasn't "hunted out" before. Thus not a case of negating the notion of "hunted out" spots. But rather, merely a case of a spot that was NOT "hunted out".
    Pretty sure we went over this in post #9...

Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Here are some more items from yesterday that were dug from a Civil War site that has been pounded since the 1960's. Every type of machine known to God and man has seen action there. After the January freeze and thaw, these came out. A few were easy targets to locate, a few just squeakers. Most were found with the Tesoro Cibola which is a turn and go machine. They were apparently there all along, I had walked over all of them more than once, or twice or three times. You never know. The Deus pulled out the little lead pieces. I switched back and forth with the machines during the day. There was NO vegetation, its the end of winter and the soil was just plain wet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
ID:	1555189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg 
ID:	1555190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	1555191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	1555192
    Another example. Pretty neat. I've noticed when in trashy areas those falsing iron/junk pieces are definitely masking goodies too! The more junk that is removed the more signals turn up. Great finds Smoke!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links