Let's discuss hunted out spots giving up more goodies.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, there are the obvious reasons why some people walk into "hunted out" places and pluck out more good finds but what are the overlooked ones?

I have a particular spot that comes to mind when thinking about this topic. I literally spent a dozen hunts on this one 150'x150' area and the only thing found was flat buttons and a couple of other period items. One hunt out of the blue I got this phantom high tone and it was undoubtedly a deep coin signal. Bang, 8-9" large cent. About 30 minutes later another non ferrous signal but this one was all over on the numbers but sounded tight and clean. Must have been almost on edge because the pinpoint was way off. Once again another mid 1800's large cent. A couple hunts later in that same localized area one more crazy dig me signal.....and the third and last largie.

I can't squeak any more non ferrous signals out of that spot but it still makes me wonder what the heck happened there to make these signals all come out within a couple days of each other. The weather wasn't extreme either....very fall like. Not too much ground heaving going on. Only thing I can think of is iron above or in close proximity to the coins. Once removed they were detectable.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing at an older site? Very interesting and eye opening to me.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've dug 3 more largies, a handful of flat buttons and a shield nickel from this spot since posting this. Something that will always intrigue me about the hobby.

Well ...... then that means that if that spot was called "hunted out" before, that it wasn't "hunted out" before. Thus not a case of negating the notion of "hunted out" spots. But rather, merely a case of a spot that was NOT "hunted out". :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more items from yesterday that were dug from a Civil War site that has been pounded since the 1960's. Every type of machine known to God and man has seen action there. After the January freeze and thaw, these came out. A few were easy targets to locate, a few just squeakers. Most were found with the Tesoro Cibola which is a turn and go machine. They were apparently there all along, I had walked over all of them more than once, or twice or three times. You never know. The Deus pulled out the little lead pieces. I switched back and forth with the machines during the day. There was NO vegetation, its the end of winter and the soil was just plain wet. View attachment IMG_0742.jpg View attachment IMG_0743.jpg View attachment IMG_0740.jpg View attachment IMG_0745.jpg

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't care who or ho good you are when you swing it for hours on end YOU get sloppy , only takes a sloppy pattern or a patch of high grass or twig to swing it a little bit wide...AND MISS A TARGET... it's that simple as that....even the great and powerful equinox ...ain't gonna find it if you don't ...SWING OVER IT...thats a fact..

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't care who or ho good you are when you swing it for hours on end YOU get sloppy , only takes a sloppy pattern or a patch of high grass or twig to swing it a little bit wide...AND MISS A TARGET... it's that simple as that....even the great and powerful equinox ...ain't gonna find it if you don't ...SWING OVER IT...thats a fact..

Honestly, I sense some sarcasm about the Minelab but I still haven't seen anything from it that my other detectors wouldn't do.

I agree too. Some days I am just more in tune and focused than others! I do think, however.....that there is way more to it than that. For instance say a coin on edge that turned to 45° after a frost. I think that's what happened at this same spot Sunday when I got my 7th copper from here!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well ...... then that means that if that spot was called "hunted out" before, that it wasn't "hunted out" before. Thus not a case of negating the notion of "hunted out" spots. But rather, merely a case of a spot that was NOT "hunted out". :)

Pretty sure we went over this in post #9...

Here are some more items from yesterday that were dug from a Civil War site that has been pounded since the 1960's. Every type of machine known to God and man has seen action there. After the January freeze and thaw, these came out. A few were easy targets to locate, a few just squeakers. Most were found with the Tesoro Cibola which is a turn and go machine. They were apparently there all along, I had walked over all of them more than once, or twice or three times. You never know. The Deus pulled out the little lead pieces. I switched back and forth with the machines during the day. There was NO vegetation, its the end of winter and the soil was just plain wet. View attachment 1555189 View attachment 1555190 View attachment 1555191 View attachment 1555192

Another example. Pretty neat. I've noticed when in trashy areas those falsing iron/junk pieces are definitely masking goodies too! The more junk that is removed the more signals turn up. Great finds Smoke!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another example last evening. There is a business a stones throw from my house that used to sell milk and ice cream. Found probably 20 silvers from this 40'x40' yard.

I've been to this spot I'd bet 40-50 times...lol. the neighbors think I'm a loon. Anyways. I tried just one of the variables in this thread and I snuck out a very nice but quick signal in between some modern trash. About 7 inches under the suface was this 42 washington quarter. Shortly after it seemed like Emi became an issue so I backed my sens. All the way down to 59. Got another high tone that was a little on the weaker side. Ended up being a 67' copper penny about the depth of the Garrett carrot. So, actually.....sweep speed and sens. changes brought a Couple more coin signals out of nowhere.

View attachment 1546706
What machine/coils were you using at this spot? Very interesting post. I have often wondered how this happens, I have been over the same grids and been skunked 3 to 4 times with my Omega and X-Terra before giving up on those spots thinking only ferrous targets remained. Then after getting my new machine, I am finding non-ferrous goodies at these same spots! Did I simply miss items due to poor technique, grid angle or is the new machine just deeper or better at unmasking, etc...? I really don't know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What machine/coils were you using at this spot? Very interesting post. I have often wondered how this happens, I have been over the same grids and been skunked 3 to 4 times with my Omega and X-Terra before giving up on those spots thinking only ferrous targets remained. Then after getting my new machine, I am finding non-ferrous goodies at these same spots! Did I simply miss items due to poor technique, grid angle or is the new machine just deeper or better at unmasking, etc...? I really don't know.

I honestly believe it was a combination of a few things.

1. I hit the place in the summer numerous times. November the coppers started popping out. I'm thinking the grass laying down in the fall gave an extra 2-3 inches of depth since the mower deck was set way high by the guy who cuts the property.

2. Right around that same time I purchased the NEL Tornado coil for me F75. Also helped some in the depth department.

3. The ground started getting moist compares to the summer months.

4. My search technique was to go slow! Also overlapping my swings.

5. Removing iron to unmask signals.

That combo had to be it.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a list I have witnessed or heard can have an impact on finding new signals in worked over areas.

EMI changes- I have a site that I can not got over 50% sens. on my machines during the week but can go full throttle on the weekend with the businesses being shut down for 2 days!

Different machine/coil/detector settings- This one I'm sure comes to everyone's mind.

Ground conditions change- coins on edge that turn when soils move can then be detectable. Cultivated field brings deep targets up to suface and or moves non ferrous target away from trash. Ground with loads of nails will tend to false more when ground is wet but more depth with the lack of such iron. Opposite with dry soil.

Swing angle/speed/coil on the ground.

Then the I heard.....

Moon phases? Lol. Never know.

Masking/silent masking- hard to know what you're missing if you don't know it exists in the first place.

Can anyone add more to this? Could be something for people to try and change up at old sites.
my experience with woodland homesteads,long sice gone, with any detector ive used, leaves or surface debris can change or mask a signal. every questionabke signal i get, i will scrape the leaves away, and instantly gain a more verified signal

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My definition of "Hunted Out" means a piece of ground where there is absolutely not one single target detected period.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Or are you digging every signal so you learn your new machine better?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My definition of "Hunted Out" means a piece of ground where there is absolutely not one single target detected period.

Sheesk, if this is true, then lets add: "Necessary to use a high powered nugget pulse machine, so that there's not so much as a staple or BB or push-pin or paperclip left".

I would (politely) disagree with this statement. Not on the basis of technical definitions (iron and BB's = "a target" after all), but on the basis of realistic definitions. Because by this definition, then no place can ever be said to be worked out. As long as someone can find a single nail or BB or straight-pin, etc...

But if we're talking "worked out" in-so-far as "no longer worth it", then that would be the realistic definition. I can think of places that ... no ... not every last nail is worked out. But HEAVEN HELP the person who's going to go there now, and try to be a hero strip-mining the place. Yet they're places that ... "back in the day", we used to get silver coins from the turf, or relics from the stage stop, or whatever. But today: I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole. Does that mean it's impossible that another conductor isn't hiding under a nail ? No. Does that mean that another silver coin isn't hiding under a bunch of pulltabs ? No. But does that mean it's not worth it, and your time is better-spent elsewhere ? Yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread