Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Lets discuss hunted out spots giving up more goodies.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gol
    776 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Another example last evening. There is a business a stones throw from my house that used to sell milk and ice cream. Found probably 20 silvers from this 40'x40' yard.

I've been to this spot I'd bet 40-50 times...lol. the neighbors think I'm a loon. Anyways. I tried just one of the variables in this thread and I snuck out a very nice but quick signal in between some modern trash. About 7 inches under the suface was this 42 washington quarter. Shortly after it seemed like Emi became an issue so I backed my sens. All the way down to 59. Got another high tone that was a little on the weaker side. Ended up being a 67' copper penny about the depth of the Garrett carrot. So, actually.....sweep speed and sens. changes brought a Couple more coin signals out of nowhere.

Attachment 1546706
    What machine/coils were you using at this spot? Very interesting post. I have often wondered how this happens, I have been over the same grids and been skunked 3 to 4 times with my Omega and X-Terra before giving up on those spots thinking only ferrous targets remained. Then after getting my new machine, I am finding non-ferrous goodies at these same spots! Did I simply miss items due to poor technique, grid angle or is the new machine just deeper or better at unmasking, etc...? I really don't know.
    Last edited by atomicscott; Mar 05, 2018 at 02:03 AM.
    Loco-Digger and HighVDI like this.
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3047 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicscott View Post
    What machine/coils were you using at this spot? Very interesting post. I have often wondered how this happens, I have been over the same grids and been skunked 3 to 4 times with my Omega and X-Terra before giving up on those spots thinking only ferrous targets remained. Then after getting my new machine, I am finding non-ferrous goodies at these same spots! Did I simply miss items due to poor technique, grid angle or is the new machine just deeper or better at unmasking, etc...? I really don't know.
    I honestly believe it was a combination of a few things.

1. I hit the place in the summer numerous times. November the coppers started popping out. I'm thinking the grass laying down in the fall gave an extra 2-3 inches of depth since the mower deck was set way high by the guy who cuts the property.

2. Right around that same time I purchased the NEL Tornado coil for me F75. Also helped some in the depth department.

3. The ground started getting moist compares to the summer months.

4. My search technique was to go slow! Also overlapping my swings.

5. Removing iron to unmask signals.

That combo had to be it.
    atomicscott and Loco-Digger like this.

Jun 2015
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    This is a list I have witnessed or heard can have an impact on finding new signals in worked over areas.

EMI changes- I have a site that I can not got over 50% sens. on my machines during the week but can go full throttle on the weekend with the businesses being shut down for 2 days!

Different machine/coil/detector settings- This one I'm sure comes to everyone's mind.

Ground conditions change- coins on edge that turn when soils move can then be detectable. Cultivated field brings deep targets up to suface and or moves non ferrous target away from trash. Ground with loads of nails will tend to false more when ground is wet but more depth with the lack of such iron. Opposite with dry soil.

Swing angle/speed/coil on the ground.

Then the I heard.....

Moon phases? Lol. Never know.

Masking/silent masking- hard to know what you're missing if you don't know it exists in the first place.

Can anyone add more to this? Could be something for people to try and change up at old sites.
    my experience with woodland homesteads,long sice gone, with any detector ive used, leaves or surface debris can change or mask a signal. every questionabke signal i get, i will scrape the leaves away, and instantly gain a more verified signal
    3cylbill and HighVDI like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2239 times
    My definition of "Hunted Out" means a piece of ground where there is absolutely not one single target detected period.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16392 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicscott View Post
    Or are you digging every signal so you learn your new machine better?
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8813 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by SD51 View Post
    My definition of "Hunted Out" means a piece of ground where there is absolutely not one single target detected period.
    Sheesk, if this is true, then lets add: "Necessary to use a high powered nugget pulse machine, so that there's not so much as a staple or BB or push-pin or paperclip left".

I would (politely) disagree with this statement. Not on the basis of technical definitions (iron and BB's = "a target" after all), but on the basis of realistic definitions. Because by this definition, then no place can ever be said to be worked out. As long as someone can find a single nail or BB or straight-pin, etc...

But if we're talking "worked out" in-so-far as "no longer worth it", then that would be the realistic definition. I can think of places that ... no ... not every last nail is worked out. But HEAVEN HELP the person who's going to go there now, and try to be a hero strip-mining the place. Yet they're places that ... "back in the day", we used to get silver coins from the turf, or relics from the stage stop, or whatever. But today: I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole. Does that mean it's impossible that another conductor isn't hiding under a nail ? No. Does that mean that another silver coin isn't hiding under a bunch of pulltabs ? No. But does that mean it's not worth it, and your time is better-spent elsewhere ? Yes.
    HighVDI likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links