Geo catche in hollow tree

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a while back while I was swinging I passed a hollow apple tree and was surprised to get a good signal from it, with gloved hand I reached in and retrieved a cylinder wasn't too excited as it was made of plastic and wrapped in "Camo" tape on shaking it "like you do" it rattled with a pleasing coin type jingle .
It had a screw cap and it opened easily, inside were several foreign coins a note pad and a pen, the last entry was from a guy/girl from New Zeeland two years before with other entries from the US / UK/ Ireland and France, I put it back in the tree as I realized people were going to this spot, another interesting hobby....Bonz Geo-Catche.JPG

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the guys that I hunt with was very much a part of the GeoCaching Hobby. He would get permission from Pennsylvania State Parks Authorities to place Geocaches in certain areas. The Parks Authority would require him to check in every so often and the Geocache location would have to be relocated every two years. It was pretty interesting.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool story and thanks for sharing...but now I'll start scanning tree trunks, Oh Boy....

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a nephew that's into GeoChaching big time and does it everywhere he goes and he travels quite a bit

OP
OP
B

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny really the tree was away off any road so whoever hid it was making it a challenge to find it. but obviously they did, .....Bonz

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes it is very popular. My son's father in law partakes in the sport. He and Kay went to Europe last year and being from near where Elvis was born put little statues of The King in his containers and other stuff from our State in there and left them all over the Countryside. He has gotten some really funny feedback from those. A lot of people that like to travel play that game. Continued success. :thumb_up:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 3 so far in odd spots while out detecting. I put some of my finds for the day in them. That ought to keep the next person scratching their head. Lol

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i found one a few months ago at a cellar hole.....

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for putting it back. I geocached for about 7 years, having almost 8,000 caches found, and having hidden 150 of them myself (they were not all active at any one time). It takes more effort than it might seem to put one of those out there, so I was glad to hear that you didn't disturb it.

OP
OP
B

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi IB,
are they all hidden in canister like the one in my pic ??....Bonz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi IB,
are they all hidden in canister like the one in my pic ??....Bonz
Oh, no. By no means. Ammo cans are (or at least were) quite popular. Some are extremely small (the size of a couple of aspirins stacked up. Another might be a fake birdhouse or a hollowed out log or a fake stick. It covers quite a gamut. Fake rocks, fake bolts, fake pine cones. Some have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to find the cache, others have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to physically open the container.

OP
OP
B

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IB, they sound like a real brain teaser...............Bonz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some are, some ain't, Bonz.

When you hide a new cache, you choose a value from 1 to 5 for the difficulty rating. There are also categories for size, and for the terrain rating.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, no. By no means. Ammo cans are (or at least were) quite popular. Some are extremely small (the size of a couple of aspirins stacked up. Another might be a fake birdhouse or a hollowed out log or a fake stick. It covers quite a gamut. Fake rocks, fake bolts, fake pine cones. Some have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to find the cache, others have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to physically open the container.

You are absolutely correct Iron Buzz. You sound like a cacher. I don't cache as much as I use to. To date, found 37,534 caches

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done it a few times. Always interesting and fun, the wife brings it up from time to time. After reading this maybe its time to give it another go.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cousin and I found one when we were dumb teenagers while camping way up in the mountains. We left a doobie in it. :laughing7:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We found one way up on a mountain in a pile of rocks near Crested Butte back in 09 and I'd never heard of that before. We signed the book and it was our 20th anniversary that day. We left some rolling papers and matches, chewing gum, a few little things for someone in need hehe.
This one was a quart Mason jar and we returned it to the same spot. On a nearby Aspen I carved JL + SL, the year, and "I like boobs".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread