Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Geo catche in hollow tree

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2017
    Canada
    Tesoro Tejon
    511 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Geo catche in hollow tree

a while back while I was swinging I passed a hollow apple tree and was surprised to get a good signal from it, with gloved hand I reached in and retrieved a cylinder wasn't too excited as it was made of plastic and wrapped in "Camo" tape on shaking it "like you do" it rattled with a pleasing coin type jingle .
    It had a screw cap and it opened easily, inside were several foreign coins a note pad and a pen, the last entry was from a guy/girl from New Zeeland two years before with other entries from the US / UK/ Ireland and France, I put it back in the tree as I realized people were going to this spot, another interesting hobby....BonzClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Geo-Catche.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1545245

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    16830 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    One of the guys that I hunt with was very much a part of the GeoCaching Hobby. He would get permission from Pennsylvania State Parks Authorities to place Geocaches in certain areas. The Parks Authority would require him to check in every so often and the Geocache location would have to be relocated every two years. It was pretty interesting.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1080 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cool story and thanks for sharing...but now I'll start scanning tree trunks, Oh Boy....
    Bonzododa71 likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    767 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have a nephew that's into GeoChaching big time and does it everywhere he goes and he travels quite a bit
    Bonzododa71 likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

May 2017
    Canada
    Tesoro Tejon
    511 times
    Its funny really the tree was away off any road so whoever hid it was making it a challenge to find it. but obviously they did, .....Bonz
    Last edited by Bonzododa71; Feb 04, 2018 at 01:33 PM.

us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    AT Pro, Fisher F75 Limited, White M6, XP Deus Lesche hand digger,Lesche Predator shovel.NEL Storm and Tornado coils.
    2659 times
    Yes it is very popular. My son's father in law partakes in the sport. He and Kay went to Europe last year and being from near where Elvis was born put little statues of The King in his containers and other stuff from our State in there and left them all over the Countryside. He has gotten some really funny feedback from those. A lot of people that like to travel play that game. Continued success.
    Bonzododa71 likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
    1919 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I have found 3 so far in odd spots while out detecting. I put some of my finds for the day in them. That ought to keep the next person scratching their head. Lol
    Bonzododa71 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    505 times
    Metal Detecting
    i found one a few months ago at a cellar hole.....
    Bonzododa71 likes this.

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    XP Deus, 11" and 5x8" HF coils Minelab Equinox 800
    1012 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thanks for putting it back. I geocached for about 7 years, having almost 8,000 caches found, and having hidden 150 of them myself (they were not all active at any one time). It takes more effort than it might seem to put one of those out there, so I was glad to hear that you didn't disturb it.
    Bonzododa71 likes this.

May 2017
    Canada
    Tesoro Tejon
    511 times
    Hi IB,
    are they all hidden in canister like the one in my pic ??....Bonz

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1012 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzododa71 View Post
    Hi IB,
    are they all hidden in canister like the one in my pic ??....Bonz
    Oh, no. By no means. Ammo cans are (or at least were) quite popular. Some are extremely small (the size of a couple of aspirins stacked up. Another might be a fake birdhouse or a hollowed out log or a fake stick. It covers quite a gamut. Fake rocks, fake bolts, fake pine cones. Some have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to find the cache, others have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to physically open the container.

May 2017
    Canada
    Tesoro Tejon
    511 times
    Thanks IB, they sound like a real brain teaser...............Bonz

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1012 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Some are, some ain't, Bonz.

When you hide a new cache, you choose a value from 1 to 5 for the difficulty rating. There are also categories for size, and for the terrain rating.

us
    Mar 2015
    Greenwich, NY
    Whites Coin Master Whites Gold Master GMT, High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 sluice, 1620 Wheaties
    1000 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Buzz View Post
    Oh, no. By no means. Ammo cans are (or at least were) quite popular. Some are extremely small (the size of a couple of aspirins stacked up. Another might be a fake birdhouse or a hollowed out log or a fake stick. It covers quite a gamut. Fake rocks, fake bolts, fake pine cones. Some have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to find the cache, others have elaborate puzzles that you need to solve to physically open the container.
    You are absolutely correct Iron Buzz. You sound like a cacher. I don't cache as much as I use to. To date, found 37,534 caches
    Bonzododa71 likes this.

us
    Jun 2016
    Mass
    Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    154 times
    I have done it a few times. Always interesting and fun, the wife brings it up from time to time. After reading this maybe its time to give it another go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links