Cabin fever

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick question has anyone here metal detected in snow if so how hard was it.i guess what im asking is it alot different than detecting dry ground.do i approach it different? It snowed again last night i am going nuts not detecting but I've never detected in snow before. Let me know what to expect thanks.

Upvote 0

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cabin fever ?............time for ...REASEARCH....REASEARCH...and more REASEARCH....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing different. I went out a couple evenings ago in some rain that turned into snow. Covered my display screen with a sandwich bag and wrapped my battery box with a plastic bag. Machine still works fine and got a couple keepers that hunt too!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
cabin fever ?............time for ...REASEARCH....REASEARCH...and more REASEARCH....
And the bust out that screw driver and find out what makes your TV work!!

I’ve been killing time getting permissions.

Debatedc

Greenie
Nov 6, 2017
West Central MO
Detector(s) used
Deus II, MI-6 Pinpointer. Equinox 800, Equinox 600, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snow on the ground makes it really easy to see where your coil has swept. Gridding is much easier to accomplish.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple inches isn't bad... but,

1. your knee's and gloves will get wet fast
2. all surface junk, that you would normally see and skip over, will be beeping and making you look
3. the snow will stick to your coil, and will get heavy fast
4. if working a slope or hill, you will slip on you ass
5. if you find something good --it will be a good day........ if you don't find anything good -- it Sucks... LOL

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cabin fever is what drew me to Treasurenet back in the winter of 2013.

It's a great time to hunt a local outdoor flea market. You just need a long flat head screwdriver to pry the coins from the gravel. The only issue with snow detecting is the depth of the snow. For every inch of snow on the ground reduces depth in the soil. Another area to detect would be local popular sledding hills for recent pocket spills.

Good Luck

I take this time to work on displays and research.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cabin fever...time to get involved in other hobbies besides metal detecting.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Even though in the South we don't have as much snow as the Northen states its still been colder this year. The cold days with 15 to 20 MPH winds is not my kind of day to MD. Even with headphones on its hard to hear the signal.We have better weather coming so I'm just doing little woodworking jobs in my shop. Did get one new CW 82acre permission at of all places, the library the other day while looking for some old maps.Looking forward to hitting it. Good look to all.:thumb_up:

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While snow isn't an issue in NM, the lack of moisture creates some problems this time of the year. We've had less than an 1" of rain in 3 1/2 month, so the ground is like concrete and it does limit where a guy can go, it's almost 70 and sunny here already, that's the upside of the desert.

OP
OP
E

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is other hobbies other than metal detecting..lol

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi E,
Got the same problem here in Canada, for me snow is ok at about 1 inch deep and without a prolonged freeze, but right now its been a month of really cold weather and my back yard is as hard as concrete I use that as a yard stick for any possible outing...
I have sent my brother -in - law some drawings for display cases and he will make them for me and I will get the old finds out clean some and arrange them in the cases, kills a lot of time....
...Bonz

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Tell me about a lack of moisture buddy. Here in the south in places it's been dry with no burn warnings in a lot of places. And as I've noticed a lack of depth with my machine even though you ground balance as well as possible. But it's been some better lately. Good luck:thumb_up:

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember back in the 80's there was an article in one of the treasure magazines (it might have been Treasure or Treasure Found!) called "Try Snow-time Detecting". It was written by a person that spent the winter detecting the snow piles along parking lots, particularly at malls. He used a hand-held sand scoop. He showed all the coins, keys, and rings that he found in the snow.
I showed the article to my grandfather and told him I wanted to try it at the local mall. His response was "Why do you want to do that? Wait until spring, then you can just pick the stuff off the top of the ground.", so I never tried it.

Maybe you could try something like that, if you really need to get out.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread