Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mind if I metal detect in your yard? I will tread Lightly, what say yea?

Seriously I usually get to know them iT works exceptionally well if they are frequently outside I walk my dog past them and strike up conversation

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mind if I metal detect in your yard? I will tread Lightly, what say yea?

Seriously I usually get to know them iT works exceptionally well if they are frequently outside I walk my dog past them and strike up conversation
Thanks buddy for your input.

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest secret is to just step out of your comfort zone and start talking to people. You'll be surprised how mant people will actually say yes.
Thank you for your response

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great question...often asked, there are more than a few threads on this. I have trouble door knocking, however I will NOT pass up the opportunity to stop and talk to someone outside...that way I'm not interrupting dinner, bath time etc...ALWAYS compliment them on their beautiful, old house. Don't just blurt out "can I dig holes in your lawn?" Talk about the house, the property, the history. THEN...when you are comfortable, ask. Explain how this is your hobby, your passion, that you are a collector and do not sell relics/coins. Offer to show them what you've found (hint: pull tabs, bottle caps..wink wink)...And remember, good news spreads...bad news spreads fast! So if you trash their yard, the neighbors will know before you get home. So..get out, research and good luck! Ddf

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great question...often asked, there are more than a few threads on this. I have trouble door knocking, however I will NOT pass up the opportunity to stop and talk to someone outside...that way I'm not interrupting dinner, bath time etc...ALWAYS compliment them on their beautiful, old house. Don't just blurt out "can I dig holes in your lawn?" Talk about the house, the property, the history. THEN...when you are comfortable, ask. Explain how this is your hobby, your passion, that you are a collector and do not sell relics/coins. Offer to show them what you've found (hint: pull tabs, bottle caps..wink wink)...And remember, good news spreads...bad news spreads fast! So if you trash their yard, the neighbors will know before you get home. So..get out, research and good luck! Ddf
Very helpful and I wasn't sure what to give back to the home owner. Thanks buddy for your input

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by talking to co workers and family and all your friends.

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by talking to co workers and family and all your friends.
Working on that now. Just seems hard for people to follow though. Thanks for your response.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things. Do not wear camo. Dress as close to business casual as possible. You can change later. Be well groomed. If you look like you've just come from the set of "Deliverance" or "Grizzly Adams", you're done before you start. Appearance is everything. If you present yourself well, it will go a long way. You don't want to look like someone casing the place for a robbery. Don't look past the person into their house. It's probably a mess anyway.

Introduce yourself and don't "motor mouth". Talk at a reasonable pace, yes we're excited about a new permission but don't come off as aggressive.

Explain what you are looking for, maybe have a few wheat pennies, dug, to show them.

I also make a deal with every landowner whose property I have dug. Which is: If I happen to find something like a gold cache, we will split it 50/50. Explain it almost never happens, but you never know. And of course do it. I have never dug a gold cache.

A well planned out thought about what you will say is important. Always mention the machines don't go deep (some people think we're going to dig 3 foot holes in the ground). And if you pull out a SMALL digging tool that doesn't look threatening to the grass, all the better. Explain there will be no visible holes. When you leave, it will look like you were never there. Explain the way YOU dig a SHALLOW (hint hint, key words here) hole the grass is not damaged. Even if the person says no, thank them. Make sure throughout the conversation you make solid eye contact.

It's called ACTING!

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things. Do not wear camo. Dress as close to business casual as possible. You can change later. Be well groomed. If you look like you've just come from the set of "Deliverance" or "Grizzly Adams", you're done before you start. Appearance is everything. If you present yourself well, it will go a long way. You don't want to look like someone casing the place for a robbery. Don't look past the person into their house. It's probably a mess anyway.

Introduce yourself and don't "motor mouth". Talk at a reasonable pace, yes we're excited about a new permission but don't come off as aggressive.

Explain what you are looking for, maybe have a few wheat pennies, dug, to show them.

I also make a deal with every landowner whose property I have dug. Which is: If I happen to find something like a gold cache, we will split it 50/50. Explain it almost never happens, but you never know. And of course do it. I have never dug a gold cache.

A well planned out thought about what you will say is important. Always mention the machines don't go deep (some people think we're going to dig 3 foot holes in the ground). And if you pull out a SMALL digging tool that doesn't look threatening to the grass, all the better. Explain there will be no visible holes. When you leave, it will look like you were never there. Explain the way YOU dig a SHALLOW (hint hint, key words here) hole the grass is not damaged. Even if the person says no, thank them. Make sure throughout the conversation you make solid eye contact.

It's called ACTING!
Smokey you all ways come though for me and other members. Thank you for your comment and will sure give it a shot...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a metal detecting club within a reasonable distance from your home, join it. I have been invited to share the hunt with club members on their permissions. Be sure to share your permissions with those who are good to you.

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a metal detecting club within a reasonable distance from your home, join it. I have been invited to share the hunt with club members on their permissions. Be sure to share your permissions with those who are good to you.
Thanks wind, actually the closet club is Maryland free State treasury club. That's the club the Hoover boy's are in! Going to join but would like to have verging ground. Your not to far from me! Would love to hunt with ya

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a supermodel girlfriend have her ask

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it's past Jeff's bedtime again, so pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Anyway, most clubs have their own groups and subgroups. Sometimes they intermingle, sometimes they don't. Best bet is to get a permission or two and then team up with someone or someones and share. My buddy and I got into two virgin permissions the last year and cleaned up. When you invite someone to one of your sites, it needs to be reciprocal. Otherwise you have come across some bottom feeders, and things won't work out. I'd say 70% of the people I have taken to one of my sites or another over the years were bottom feeders. Of course, they don't get invited back, and we pulled a lot of stuff off my properties, so it's not like I took them to a spot which had been sandblasted clean of relics.

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT MAX International
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some really good points made and even some things I hadn't thought of ever and I thank you for that SmokeytheCat! Last year was my first time door knocking and I did pretty darn good with I'd say around a 70-80% Yes responses. Very first door I knocked I got a No, it's tough! What I can tell you is to think of what they might ask you and having somewhat prepared responses will help. The biggest key is CONFIDENCE! If you're nervous you're going to make the homeowner nervous and you'll get a no, I made that mistake the first time big time haha. Also like Smokey had previously mentioned, always be polite and thank them for their time regardless of their response. IMHO do not talk about how you cut your plugs unless they ask you and of course use a hand trowel and take your time as this is the most important part of being a good ambassador to the hobby. I start by introducing myself and sometimes I'll go for the handshake if that vibe is there, I'll say that I do Metal Detecting as a hobby and that their house looks like it's got a lot of history and that I would love to have their Permission to scan their yard for old Coins etc. Around this point in the conversation you'll have an idea of where it's going, you'll get a yes or a no or a pause, in the event of a pause where you feel a no coming you could mention about going 50/50 or perhaps mention something like "you're probably curious what types of treasures are just lying there" or for example I've found Silver Coins in roughly every second house in the area so there's a good chance there are Coins someone dropped 80 years ago or what if there is an old Gold Ring we could go halfers on? You could also mention how you take all trash with you so it's a free yard clean up and of course you should pick up surface trash within reason. Every conversation is going to be different and you'll learn from experience. Also was watching a fellow Detectorist on Youtube recently mention another good point about wearing bright clothing or "friendly" colors.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All of my door-knocks are cold calls. Keep the intro short and sweet, less than 30 seconds.
I get better than 4 out of 5 yesses.

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guy's for all the good tips and responses.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing that someone else had offered about this same topic that stuck in my mind, do not use the word "Dig". Right away the owner thinks of "Holes" in their yard, instead use the term "Recover", it really does sound better. Sometimes it's a small thing that goes a long way.

OP
OP
Willieg

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing that someone else had offered about this same topic that stuck in my mind, do not use the word "Dig". Right away the owner thinks of "Holes" in their yard, instead use the term "Recover", it really does sound better. Sometimes it's a small thing that goes a long way.
Thanks for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread