Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Good approach for permission?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Good approach for permission?

I don't have any permissions for metal detecting. Asking all you guy's the best approach for asking. I dig good clean plugs but ha ve not ask anyone yet for permission. Before I start out asking would like some tips from my metal detecting family.
    dirtdigginfool and TerryC like this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    3373 times
    Do you mind if I metal detect in your yard? I will tread Lightly, what say yea?

Seriously I usually get to know them iT works exceptionally well if they are frequently outside I walk my dog past them and strike up conversation
    dirtdigginfool and TerryC like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Do you mind if I metal detect in your yard? I will tread Lightly, what say yea?

Seriously I usually get to know them iT works exceptionally well if they are frequently outside I walk my dog past them and strike up conversation
    Thanks buddy for your input.

us
    Feb 2012
    AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautiful country. Metal detecting and fishing!
    CTX 3030, E-trac, Excal II
    256 times
    Metal Detecting
    The biggest secret is to just step out of your comfort zone and start talking to people. You'll be surprised how mant people will actually say yes.
    TerryC likes this.
    Travel - Detect - Fish - Repeat!!!

Rescuing old coins and giving them a good home since 1989!

us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdirtdigger View Post
    The biggest secret is to just step out of your comfort zone and start talking to people. You'll be surprised how mant people will actually say yes.
    Thank you for your response

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    2338 times
    Great question...often asked, there are more than a few threads on this. I have trouble door knocking, however I will NOT pass up the opportunity to stop and talk to someone outside...that way I'm not interrupting dinner, bath time etc...ALWAYS compliment them on their beautiful, old house. Don't just blurt out "can I dig holes in your lawn?" Talk about the house, the property, the history. THEN...when you are comfortable, ask. Explain how this is your hobby, your passion, that you are a collector and do not sell relics/coins. Offer to show them what you've found (hint: pull tabs, bottle caps..wink wink)...And remember, good news spreads...bad news spreads fast! So if you trash their yard, the neighbors will know before you get home. So..get out, research and good luck! Ddf
    sprailroad, TerryC and WaterScoop like this.

us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigginfool View Post
    Great question...often asked, there are more than a few threads on this. I have trouble door knocking, however I will NOT pass up the opportunity to stop and talk to someone outside...that way I'm not interrupting dinner, bath time etc...ALWAYS compliment them on their beautiful, old house. Don't just blurt out "can I dig holes in your lawn?" Talk about the house, the property, the history. THEN...when you are comfortable, ask. Explain how this is your hobby, your passion, that you are a collector and do not sell relics/coins. Offer to show them what you've found (hint: pull tabs, bottle caps..wink wink)...And remember, good news spreads...bad news spreads fast! So if you trash their yard, the neighbors will know before you get home. So..get out, research and good luck! Ddf
    Very helpful and I wasn't sure what to give back to the home owner. Thanks buddy for your input
    dirtdigginfool likes this.

us
    Oct 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer Have owned Minlab E-trac, Tesoro Tejon, BH-505 Whites 6000 Di Garrett ADS 2,3 and 7
    1535 times
    Start by talking to co workers and family and all your friends.
    Remember, all dogs go to heaven. Be a dog and dig till you drop!

us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    Start by talking to co workers and family and all your friends.
    Working on that now. Just seems hard for people to follow though. Thanks for your response.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    8835 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    A few things. Do not wear camo. Dress as close to business casual as possible. You can change later. Be well groomed. If you look like you've just come from the set of "Deliverance" or "Grizzly Adams", you're done before you start. Appearance is everything. If you present yourself well, it will go a long way. You don't want to look like someone casing the place for a robbery. Don't look past the person into their house. It's probably a mess anyway.

Introduce yourself and don't "motor mouth". Talk at a reasonable pace, yes we're excited about a new permission but don't come off as aggressive.

Explain what you are looking for, maybe have a few wheat pennies, dug, to show them.

I also make a deal with every landowner whose property I have dug. Which is: If I happen to find something like a gold cache, we will split it 50/50. Explain it almost never happens, but you never know. And of course do it. I have never dug a gold cache.

A well planned out thought about what you will say is important. Always mention the machines don't go deep (some people think we're going to dig 3 foot holes in the ground). And if you pull out a SMALL digging tool that doesn't look threatening to the grass, all the better. Explain there will be no visible holes. When you leave, it will look like you were never there. Explain the way YOU dig a SHALLOW (hint hint, key words here) hole the grass is not damaged. Even if the person says no, thank them. Make sure throughout the conversation you make solid eye contact.

It's called ACTING!

us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    A few things. Do not wear camo. Dress as close to business casual as possible. You can change later. Be well groomed. If you look like you've just come from the set of "Deliverance" or "Grizzly Adams", you're done before you start. Appearance is everything. If you present yourself well, it will go a long way. You don't want to look like someone casing the place for a robbery. Don't look past the person into their house. It's probably a mess anyway.

Introduce yourself and don't "motor mouth". Talk at a reasonable pace, yes we're excited about a new permission but don't come off as aggressive.

Explain what you are looking for, maybe have a few wheat pennies, dug, to show them.

I also make a deal with every landowner whose property I have dug. Which is: If I happen to find something like a gold cache, we will split it 50/50. Explain it almost never happens, but you never know. And of course do it. I have never dug a gold cache.

A well planned out thought about what you will say is important. Always mention the machines don't go deep (some people think we're going to dig 3 foot holes in the ground). And if you pull out a SMALL digging tool that doesn't look threatening to the grass, all the better. Explain there will be no visible holes. When you leave, it will look like you were never there. Explain the way YOU dig a SHALLOW (hint hint, key words here) hole the grass is not damaged. Even if the person says no, thank them. Make sure throughout the conversation you make solid eye contact.

It's called ACTING!
    Smokey you all ways come though for me and other members. Thank you for your comment and will sure give it a shot...

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    14018 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If there is a metal detecting club within a reasonable distance from your home, join it. I have been invited to share the hunt with club members on their permissions. Be sure to share your permissions with those who are good to you.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Nov 2017
    MARYLAND
    Garrett at max
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    If there is a metal detecting club within a reasonable distance from your home, join it. I have been invited to share the hunt with club members on their permissions. Be sure to share your permissions with those who are good to you.
    Thanks wind, actually the closet club is Maryland free State treasury club. That's the club the Hoover boy's are in! Going to join but would like to have verging ground. Your not to far from me! Would love to hunt with ya

Charter Member
    SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    9100 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you have a supermodel girlfriend have her ask
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING A SNOWFLAKE? SNOWFLAKES MAKE THE WORLD PRETTIER

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    8835 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hey, it's past Jeff's bedtime again, so pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Anyway, most clubs have their own groups and subgroups. Sometimes they intermingle, sometimes they don't. Best bet is to get a permission or two and then team up with someone or someones and share. My buddy and I got into two virgin permissions the last year and cleaned up. When you invite someone to one of your sites, it needs to be reciprocal. Otherwise you have come across some bottom feeders, and things won't work out. I'd say 70% of the people I have taken to one of my sites or another over the years were bottom feeders. Of course, they don't get invited back, and we pulled a lot of stuff off my properties, so it's not like I took them to a spot which had been sandblasted clean of relics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links